Oil coming out of turbo air intake

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
Oil coming out of turbo air intake (pics)

Hi Folks. Was doing some engine cleaning today and pulled off the belly pan and noticed a lot of oil on the back right side of the belly pan. Looking for the oil source I found that the air inlet hose that's attached to the turbocharger is the culprit. This has always been dry in the past, and now I see a fair amount of oil.

Leak is where hose #12 connects to the turbocharger.

Is this a problem with the turbo? :confused: Any thoughts on this would appreciated.

Harry.

Last edited:

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
So that is the boost output to the IC, if I am reading it right. There will be some oil as the normal operation of the turbo and CCV systems. This accumulates between the turbo and intake manifold, but is more usually found lower, near the IC. Check around for misaligned hose clamp and try to verify it is coming from inside the hose, not dripping down on it from the EGR or something. I believe there was/is a recall on '04 EGR coolers.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Harry, I dunno, I'm sure we all have it to some degree. There is oil moving thru the system all the time.

Are the seals, if any, renewable? Does the retaining clamp seem tight? Can't you make a warranty claim on something like this?

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
Chrome/Dieseldorf

Thanks for the responses. All connections are tight, and nothing seems abnormal. These connections were dry in March/06 so this is a new development.

I have an appointment for the EGR recall Oct 26 and will bring this issue to the dealer's attention at that time. It had leaked a fair amount of oil on the belly pan in the past 7 months, so something must be 'up'. Hope it's not the turbo. Still on warranty for another year, so that's the good thing.

Thanks!

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
Just had my EGR Cooler replaced, and I had this leak checked out at the same time.

Turns out that this is normal as it's oil from the air intake/CCV that collects and ends up in the intercooler. The intake system was removed/cleaned and reinstalled. All hoses were checked as well. Sounds reasonable.

Interesting how this suddenly showed up at the three year old mark though. Anyway, I'll monitor and see how it goes.

H.