6 speed conversion kit

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI S-Line, 2005.5 Jetta TDI (BRM) 6MT (02Q)
I think that I am going to get one of these sooner than later. How long does it take to reach New York and what forms of payment are accepted?

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
This kit is interesting. I've talked to an experienced workshop about it, but they dont think it is possible to do the conversion without removing the gearbox from the car, given that the internal fork (AKA gear shift rail) needs to be changed. Are there a description around anywhere of how to perform this particular step without disassembling the gearbox?

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
See post 25 & 26 in this thread.

This kit is interesting. I've talked to an experienced workshop about it, but they dont think it is possible to do the conversion without removing the gearbox from the car, given that the internal fork (AKA gear shift rail) needs to be changed. Are there a description around anywhere of how to perform this particular step without disassembling the gearbox?

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
See post 25 & 26 in this thread.
Yeah I read that, but I can't tell them 'you do it through a hole', I would need to give clearer instructions than that! :)

Now these guys have a great deal of experience with VAG gearboxes (and 6th gear conversion kits), but I have absolutely none, which means that for me it's not easy to explain to them without help. Hence why I was asking about instructions :)

Placed my order for the kit this morning.

A .59 6th gear will be a bit longer than the .622 5th I am running now. should be nice with the stock .756 ratio for 5th gear. Fills in that hole I have now from 4th to 5th (.622).

Will post more as this progresses.
This sounds like a really good idea ... since I'd like a 6th gear which is as long as possible, the 0.59 ratio would work as a perfect 'overdrive' for motorway cruising. There would be quite a big gap between my 5th (the standard 0.75) and 6th, but that's OK.

Diagram of John's gearbox:

My 1st to 5th gear ratios are as above, but since my wheels etc are different diameter, these result in different speeds. So 60mph = 2205rpm for me currently in 5th. A 0.59 6th would be around 1734 at 60mph, or 2600 at 90mph.

Last edited:

EuroTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2,0TDI
My 1st to 5th gear ratios are as above, but since my wheels etc are different diameter, these result in different speeds. So 60mph = 2205rpm for me currently in 5th. A 0.59 6th would be around 1734 at 60mph, or 2600 at 90mph.
Your gearbox could be modified as shown in the diagram.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Just for reference, a tire with a circumference of about 185cm is what the Mk3 and B4 cars run stock. The Mk4s are about 199cm.

The CTN code transmission is used on the Mk3 and B4s, it has a taller final drive ratio that effectively makes up for the tire size difference between the generations of cars.

So the numbers for the CTN code (engine RPM vs. vehicle speed) transmission are correct on your graphs. The later cars with the shorter 3.39 final drive have larger tires--~199cm circumference. Those graphs could use a change :)

Is there a plan to offer a .622 6th gear? I think with the stock 5th at ~.75 that would be about perfect.

EuroTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2,0TDI
Just for reference, a tire with a circumference of about 185cm is what the Mk3 and B4 cars run stock. The Mk4s are about 199cm.
The CTN code transmission is used on the Mk3 and B4s, it has a taller final drive ratio that effectively makes up for the tire size difference between the generations of cars.
So the numbers for the CTN code (engine RPM vs. vehicle speed) transmission are correct on your graphs. The later cars with the shorter 3.39 final drive have larger tires--~199cm circumference. Those graphs could use a change :)
Is there a plan to offer a .622 6th gear? I think with the stock 5th at ~.75 that would be about perfect.
Yes, we know that even bigger tires exist, but the diagram is for displaying recommended changes of ratios. If we were using different circumferences, the diagrams wouldn't be comparable to each other.

We don't offer .622 ratio, we make only those ratios, that can be used in the most of 5-gear gearboxes. The most popular 6th gear for TDI engines was .65, which continues on .75; VW makes 5-gear gearboxes with longer 5th gear now, so we had to add .59 ratio to our special 6th gears. It continues on 5th gear .71. We are preparing 6th gear .52 for new generation of VW T5 with 5th gear .66 gearboxes. 6th gear .74 is the most used in gasoline engines.

We believe, that it is possible to build optimal solution for every gearbox 02A, 02J, 02B, 02R.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
So the question for me is what would most shops charge to install this kit along with a clutch (just labor).
It would also depend on whether they manage to figure out how to modify the gearbox while still on the car, or if it is a gearbox removal & disassembly job.

Depends on their labor rate, doesn't it? What do typical shops in your area charge for labor and how many hours do they charge for a clutch job? Guess you might want to ad 1 to 3 hours to do the kit.

Audi main dealerships here in the UK charge $170 - $300 per hour (at current rate $1.58=£1), but they wouldn't touch anything non-standard in any case. I think the tuning shop I normally go to for everything is about $120/hour. I suspect it will be cheaper on your side of the pond :)

Last edited:

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Just noticed Eurotuning has edited the first post to include instructions on how to do the install without pulling the transmission from the car.
Excellent, that was the main thing holding me back.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Got word my kit was shipped last Friday. Several delays on my end and a parts issue on the vendors end.

Kit is shipped to London, then transferred to different carrier from London to the U.S. (Carrier turned out to be FedEx, so we can all feel good about it). Transit time to London is 4 days (Good news for MikeMars). Then another 6 or so days to me, perhaps more to the West Coast.

I will post when the kit arrives in San Diego.

Last edited:

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Well, after seeing how to do in the car. I could do out of the car just the same now with a clutch install. Now just waiting on reviews/money.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
My tuning company have agreed to give the 'without disassembly' method a go :) So I'm going to order the kit with a 0.59 6th.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Excellent :) Let us know how it goes, & whether it is compatible with your spare cog.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh man Mike, i Just noticed you drive an A2, yummmmmm.
It's only the standard 1.4TDI rather than the super-high-mpg 1.2 variant (they weren't imported here). But I'm happy because I've wanted an A2 for a decade :)

In terms of running gear & suchlike it's a lot like the VW Lupo 1.4, the same AMF engine, 02J gearbox as in a number of the smaller VWs, but the clever cabin design gives it vastly more space inside.

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Well it arrived today. Good packing job in a sturdy double fluted box. Weight was just over 13 lbs. Everything was in plastic bags (10 total). Counted teeth on all 4 gears, ratios are as ordered. Gear width matches my stock .756 gears. Machine work looks good from what I can see on the kitchen counter. Looks good so far.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
john.jackson9213, when is this going in? Are you going the install route without pulling the tranny?

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
john.jackson9213, when is this going in? Are you going the install route without pulling the tranny?
Car goes to Matt-98AHU on May 19. Plan on leaving the car for a week, so Matt can "play" with the kit. At the same time, Mk4 shift system will be installed. Had a look/feel at the Mk4 system installed in his (Matt) car at the Las Vegas GTG. Matt will also address some other items at the same time as future "project improvements".

I hope Matt tries it without pulling the tranny, at least for "education". In the end, it is up to him. Just looking forward to the trans shifting like butter and seeing how well the 6 speed conversion works out. I have high expectations to evaluate the value of the longer 6th gear. (Compared to my current 5 spd with the .622 5th gear).

Also hope to have a very sharp Club member look at the kit before it is installed and get his insights. I have had some very sharp suggestions from other TDIClub members also. Looking to take full advantage of that 1900 rpm torque peak for highway driving.

Last edited: