Frostheater install

darkmanCANADA

TDI
2001 ALH
Zerostart install

Picked up a Temro Zerostart inline coolant heater today. Just wondering if anyone has a parts list of stuff I need to install it. Or better yet a link to some install pics.

Last edited:

darkmanCANADA

TDI
2001 ALH
Got it from Gregg Distributors (greggdistributors.ca) for $70 CAD. It would cost me close to $150 CAD to get it across the border. Just need the right hoses and misc parts. Anyone know the Gates,Dayco,Goodyear part numbers for the hoses?

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Here's mine, Zerostart Series 8000 750 W. I used 1-elbow NAPA ECR hose PN 11025 and 2-worm gear type hose clamps.
The hose is installed on the supply side of the OHE. This way the oil in the OHE gets warm up first.

The NAPA store where I got the the hose, had very limited heater hoses. So, I got what looked to be the best fit, since I had very limited time to install the coolant heater. I'm planning redesign and use other better design hose in the near future.

The equivalent other hoses to NAPA ECR PN 11025 are as follows:
AC Delco PN 14155S
CarQuest s/a Gates PN 19025
Dayco PN 71877
Gates PN 19025
Good Year PN 63348
Motorcraft PN KM-4990

A

Rev A - Pictures added

Last edited:

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
HeavyG,

I'm sorry for the late reply. My wife just came home and I have to do pics compression in her laptop using MSO'07-the only tool I have. I hope those pics will help you.

Brockflock

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TDi New Beetle
Okay, I have just finished getting the Frostheater kit installed.

If I had known upfront, I would have skipped it altogether.

WHAT A PAIN! The destructions that came w/ the kit were essentially useless, and the B&W pics were even worse. If I hadn't asked a VW mech about it forst, I never would have gotten this done nor would I have even known where to install it.

The hoses supplied were wrong lengths, and bent the wrong way. Sorry, but I cannot recommend this kit.

We'll see if it works right now!

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
Had the Frostheater installed on the 09 TDI...Looks like the best $115 I paid to have it...installed.

Hooked it up last night with a timer for 3 hours before leaving for work. Started the TDI up and the temp guage went right to 190 degrees...instant heat.

Started pulling away and it dropped to 165 degrees, but within 5 minutes back up to 190.

So far very happy with it.

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
02 Beetlw TDi Victim said:

If I had known upfront, I would have skipped it altogether.

WHAT A PAIN! The destructions that came w/ the kit were essentially useless, and the B&W pics were even worse. If I hadn't asked a VW mech about it forst, I never would have gotten this done nor would I have even known where to install it.

The hoses supplied were wrong lengths, and bent the wrong way. Sorry, but I cannot recommend this kit.

We'll see if it works right now!
Where did you get your kit from? I got one about a month ago. Took 20 minutes to install and was absolutely perfect. Fit like a glove, and works flawlessly. I got mine from FrostHeater.

... pretty easy seems to be the general consensus aswell...

Wook660

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Red Jetta GL TDI 5 speed
There are different kits for different model years as specified on the website, maybe you ordered the wrong one.

LVTony

TDI
'04 NB TDi 5 speed
Mine went in fairly easy (and the NB is tight). It was harder getting the battery out of the way, but once done, there was plenty of room and the heater went in quick.

Nice having warm air blowing right away. The temperature does dip down for a few minutes like MPBsr said, but it's still way better than not plugging in.

bakdoor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta, 2006 Jetta (gone), 1999 Jetta-blue (gone,) 1999 Jetta-green (gone)
MPBsr said:
Had the Frostheater installed on the 09 TDI...Looks like the best $115 I paid to have it...installed.
Hooked it up last night with a timer for 3 hours before leaving for work. Started the TDI up and the temp guage went right to 190 degrees...instant heat.
Started pulling away and it dropped to 165 degrees, but within 5 minutes back up to 190.
So far very happy with it.
X2! Best add-on that I've bought for my Jetta. Can't beat the kit from Frostheater (with the necessary parts and pics, and even phone help from Terry if you're lost.) I also paid to have it installed. Money well spent. You get what you pay for.

Catlin987987

TDI
Jetta
I brought mine from Candian tire and I didn't need anything, it only took me about 20 min. Iwill take pics tomarrow

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
rhinoman said:
Looking forward to this. Was just wondering what the best option was for Ontario winters !
Moving to Florida.

tomc

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 09 sedan
If your car has the plug showing in the front left lower grill does that mean it has a block heater??

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
tomc said:
If your car has the plug showing in the front left lower grill does that mean it has a block heater??

Probably...plug it in when cold...you should hear a gurgle.
Follow the cord and see if there is a heater of any kind on the end of it.

alkidd

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
02 Beetlw TDi Victim said:

!
Are you sure you have the correct one? The instructions and hoses for my 03 were spot on. Colour photos might have helped but having a basic understanding of where all the components are is more than enough info. It installed in less than half and hour and works better than expected. It probably cost a bit more than buying the pieces myself (especially with a border crossing) but I also saved 2 hours of traveling to autoparts stores by getting everything in one shot.

I cant recommend it enough.

Fumes

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta Wagon
Greatest addition. Bought the heater from a wholesale place and hoses from Canadian Tire. Total around $90 CDN. 1/2 hour to install.:D

2006 TDI Wagon

Fumes

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta Wagon
The brand for the circulating heater is Zero-Stat. They are sold at various auto-parts places including CT and they come in various wattages - I used a 1000 watt and it starts my car very good when cold. Last winter it got to -38* and when I first started the car the water temp was just under +50*c. :cool:

The instruction I followed I found searching this site. You have to remove the check-ball before you install it. It took about 1/2 an hour to install, if you PM me I will send the instructions to you if you can't find them on the site.

2006 TDI Mk4 Wagon

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Fumes said:
The brand for the circulating heater is Zero-Stat. They are sold at various auto-parts places including CT and they come in various wattages
They are not circulating. There is no pump. It works simply on convection.

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TSI, 2013 Passat 6M sold, 2012 Jetta Premium DSG sold, 2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold)
I installed the frost heater on my 04 Jetta with no problem. I just wish the directions said to drain all anti freeze from the radiator drain plug first.

Catlin987987

TDI
Jetta
oswegoPD said:
I installed the frost heater on my 04 Jetta with no problem. I just wish the directions said to drain all anti freeze from the radiator drain plug first.
I never needed to.

alkidd

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I would clamp it. I lost about a gallon of coolant when I installed mine. The heater is quite low in the cooling system so it makes sense that you will loose coolant if you do not pinch the line. I am sure if you are quick you can pull it off with minimal loss of coolant but I found it a bit tight to work around all the components and get everything lined up.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
NB_TDi said:
They are not circulating. There is no pump. It works simply on convection.
With a check valve, so the circulation is forced. They work like the Mr.Coffee machine. Once the water gets hot it has to come out, that is why orientation of the heater is critical.