Local Info for TDIFest 2015

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2003 JSW TDI 5MT ,2012 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2013 jetta TDI 6MT
I actually live in Bethel and have always had the best intentions of attending one of these, but now can finally make it! Since I'm a few miles from the mountain, I thought it was a good idea to throw some local info together:

Camping:
Pleasant River Campground is W. Bethel is nice with a pool.
You could also do Stony Brook Campground as well.

If you just want to be uber frugal (because getting 50+MPG just wasn't enough :) ), the white mountain national forest has a great little campsite (drive up) at Crocker Pond in Maine. It's $14/day I believe.

Food and Drink:
In order of where I have mug club membership.....

Suds Pub - Downtown bethel - it's the local spot. Cheap decent food, lots of beer on tap. Tell them Brian sent you.

Rooster's Roadhouse - Near the Irving (where you should fuel up on the inside diesel pump (outside is bigboy nozzle)) - large selection of food and salad bar - lobster, steak, etc.

Sunday river brewpub - I personally skip this one.... something about $15 hamburgers makes me feel like I'm in NYC :), But it's convenient to the mountain.

22 Broad - Looking for amazing wine and italian food? Look no further. I travel for work and haven't found many places with food as good. Spendy but worth it. Downtown Bethel

Funky Red Barn - There are usually some really good scenes of drunken dancing late night here. Truly a local spot. They also have cheap food earlier in the eve.

Hitchin post - Rt 2 west from bethel on your left 1/2 mile out of town. Ice cream stand and decent homemade food. Cheapest/best breakfast in town with most stuff made from local farms etc. Good pizza too.

Short drives for good food and drink:

Ebenezer's Pub - Lovell - Voted best beer bar in america the last 5 years... It's pretty solid! http://www.ebenezerspub.net/ 35 on tap and 1000 bottles to choose from... :) They have food too, but I've never tried it :) Pretty drive to this location: Rt 2 to Rt 5 to Ebenezers, then Take Rt 113 through Evans Notch back to Rt. 2. It's my favorite motorcycle road (so watch out for two wheels when you are enjoying yourself in the twisties)

Mountain Fire Pizza - Gorham, NH - short 25 min. drive west on rt 2. Amazing pizza - my favorite: Maple syrup and bacon pizza. Hand cut french fries are super too (ask for house made aoili!)

Rt 2 Diner - In Rumford Center - small but excellent, cheap food. As the name would cleverly suggest, it's located on Rt. 2 in the heart of Rumford center - don't blink or you'll miss it!

Fun routes to check out:

My favorite:

Errol - Gorham - Bethel Loop (108 Miles, 2.5 leisurely hrs) https://goo.gl/maps/51J3A Lots of chances to see moose and wildlife. Tons of elevation changes and twisty roads through mountain notches and along the Androscoggin river. WATCH SPEED THROUGH GORHAM NH. Police have nothing better to do.... Milan country store is a good food stop as is Gorham (mary's pizza is the real local deal or Mountain Fire Pizza is great too.)

Bethel - Lovell - Gilead Loop (113 Miles, 3+ hrs) https://goo.gl/maps/HOYQS BY FAR MY FAVORITE!!! I ride this on my motorcycle 1-2 times a week. Lots of good twisty roads, scenery, some shopping in North conway if you choose (Check out Zebs country store, it's an interesting stop!). Hurricane mtn. road is paved but super steep and narrow and twisty. Trees covering the road and a few good hikes at the height of the land. Follow this down into Rt 113 for a ride north through Evans notch . Beautiful valleys and rivers as well as some secret swimming holes (if you find me, I'll tell you the details). This ride will not disappoint!

Bethel - Andover - Rumford Loop (81.5 Miles, 2.15hrs) https://goo.gl/maps/sep0I Taking you off the beaten path through my old stomping grounds! You'll pass through a scenic covered bridge and the small town of Andover (the Andover store has great food inside - a freq stop of mine during hunting season/motorcycle season). Continuing past Andover, you will pass the site of the first Satellite relay stations in the US. HUGE satellite dishes, but mostly fenced and cameras :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andover_Earth_Station Be careful along this route as moose are as frequent as it gets. Roxbury notch passes by a huge wind farm and down into Rumford area. I routed through the back way that takes you by my ol' favorite ski area Black Mtn. (home to the oldest ski club in the US and more winter olympians than any other town per capita in the US). From there, you'll wind through some back mountain roads and make your way back to Rumford proper and rt. 2. Here, you will be able to see the largest drop east of Niagra falls and a huge hydroelectic dam.(Rumford is home to once the largest paper mill in the world (china now owns that distinction)). From there, you'll continue up the back side of the river all the way back to Bethel. Nice and twisty river drive.

Cool facts:

More later....

Just ask if there are other things you want to see here!

Brian

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Thanks Brian for the great list! Not sure of I can make the Fest, but I'll save your thread and suggestions either way.

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
Thanks Brian for the great list! Not sure of I can make the Fest, but I'll save your thread and suggestions either way.
Well hope you can make it! When I have a few more minutes, I will add a few more sections to the list. I have a bunch of favorite car/motorcycle rides (vstrom worthy) that I will add as well as some historical sites and places with the best chance of seeing wildlife.

Hoping to have my new suspension in by showtime as well (but running out of time quickly!).

Bri

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
These are great suggestions! I definitely have some places on my to-visit list for this trip. :cool:

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
If there are any other things that y'all want info on, let me know. I'll keep adding stuff as I think about it, including my favorite break spots 100-200-300 miles out for those travelling in. If anyone is into hiking, fishing or the such, I can add places for that as well.

Will also put a dirt roads section as well as places to stay away from (active logging operations, places where people fire warning shots, etc.)

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Hurricane mtn. road is paved but super steep and narrow and twisty.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. (Especially because I'm planning on bringing the wrong car to TDIFest. Wouldn't even be the first time I've brought a gasser Miata to a TDIFest...)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. (Especially because I'm planning on bringing the wrong car to TDIFest. Wouldn't even be the first time I've brought a gasser Miata to a TDIFest...)

LOL. That definitely sounds like good Miata driving. :cool:

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
I've got a few spare motorcycles should you feel adventurous! :) An A3 Golf could def. wave a back tire on parts of this road if you know what I mean :)

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Bethel - Lovell - Gilead Loop (113 Miles, 3+ hrs) https://goo.gl/maps/HOYQS BY FAR MY FAVORITE!!! I ride this on my motorcycle 1-2 times a week. Lots of good twisty roads, scenery, some shopping in North conway if you choose (Check out Zebs country store, it's an interesting stop!). Hurricane mtn. road is paved but super steep and narrow and twisty. Trees covering the road and a few good hikes at the height of the land. Follow this down into Rt 113 for a ride north through Evans notch . Beautiful valleys and rivers as well as some secret swimming holes (if you find me, I'll tell you the details). This ride will not disappoint!

One of the best rides other than the tail of the dragon. BUT BE aware weekends on hurricane mtn Rd can test your skills. Mid week is the best but weekend can give a great ride. i have scraped many a peg there..

Secret swimming is great many places to test your skills near Evans Notch.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.

One of the best rides other than the tail of the dragon. BUT BE aware weekends on hurricane mtn Rd can test your skills. Mid week is the best but weekend can give a great ride. i have scraped many a peg there..

Secret swimming is great many places to test your skills near Evans Notch.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold

Brian
I love this route too!

cfc1016

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon Auto; 2001 Beetle 5spd
I actually live in Bethel and have always had the best intentions of attending one of these, but now can finally make it! Since I'm a few miles from the mountain, I thought it was a good idea to throw some local info together:

Camping:
Pleasant River Campground is W. Bethel is nice with a pool.
You could also do Stony Brook Campground as well.

If you just want to be uber frugal (because getting 50+MPG just wasn't enough :) ), the white mountain national forest has a great little campsite (drive up) at Crocker Pond in Maine. It's $14/day I believe.
Brian
I will be bringing my cattledog and doing the great gulf trail friday morning. I was going to go with Pleasant River Motel, as they are dog friendly, but camping sounds nice. I always love an excuse to rig up the hennessey. Only concern is showering. I get funky. Funkier than the other TDIFesters might appreciate! I see stony brook has showers, but don't see info about it for pleasant river. Any insider knowledge/recommendations?

I'm very excited to do atleast one of the recommended scenic drives. I've got a buddy in freeport who I hardly ever get to see. He's a VWhead and recently got his first TDI. He's slated to join for the fest and I really appreciate you providing the insider info on a great scenic drive for us to take together.

I see that the resort has a disc golf course, but it's not listed on DGCourseReview. I'm a somewhat serious player. Is it even worth playing?

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
I will be bringing my cattledog and doing the great gulf trail friday morning. I was going to go with Pleasant River Motel, as they are dog friendly, but camping sounds nice. I always love an excuse to rig up the hennessey. Only concern is showering. I get funky. Funkier than the other TDIFesters might appreciate! I see stony brook has showers, but don't see info about it for pleasant river. Any insider knowledge/recommendations?

I'm very excited to do atleast one of the recommended scenic drives. I've got a buddy in freeport who I hardly ever get to see. He's a VWhead and recently got his first TDI. He's slated to join for the fest and I really appreciate you providing the insider info on a great scenic drive for us to take together.

I see that the resort has a disc golf course, but it's not listed on DGCourseReview. I'm a somewhat serious player. Is it even worth playing?
I am also a Hennessey fan. Never tenting again! As for showers, I will stop by @pleasant river today and ask. I would imagine they do. They have a pool worst case! :).
I'm not up on my disc golf so I wouldn't know a good course from a bad one!

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
Confirmed. They have hot showers!

cfc1016

TDI
Confirmed. They have hot showers!
I felt like a dick for asking you to confirm what would only have required a phone call out of me.

Soooo I just went ahead and called them and got my reservations. Very excited.

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
I felt like a dick for asking you to confirm what would only have required a phone call out of me.

Soooo I just went ahead and called them and got my reservations. Very excited.
It was no biggie... but yes total dick :) :D JK

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Hey a buddy of mine in freeport told me 302 is likely to be a nightmare on the holiday so i played around with the gilead loop. Tell me what you think of this? - https://goo.gl/maps/69wXm[/QUOTE

Sorry what are you talking about? Check you map it doesn't add up.

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
Hey a buddy of mine in freeport told me 302 is likely to be a nightmare on the holiday so i played around with the gilead loop. Tell me what you think of this? - https://goo.gl/maps/69wXm
There's a back way thru N. conway if the traffic is bad. most likely it will be fine however..

cfc1016

TDI
There's a back way thru N. conway if the traffic is bad. most likely it will be fine however..
ok cool. another thing... I'm accustomed to DC traffic, so what my Mainer friend considers bad may be smooth sailing by my standards. Besides, I'll be out for a leisurely ride, not a pedal to the metal deathmatch with the asphalt :D

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
Yeah, it's not DC traffic :). There is approx 3-5 miles that will be potentially slow going depending on the whims of the shopping gods... Hurricane mtn road is worth it however!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Dang, I wish our plans for this year's TDI Fest could have culminated. We like back roads and seeing the local "stuff" that's unique of the area. Two years ago, with some very minor exceptions, we drove back roads (non-Interstate) all the way to Bethel, Maine. And, we pretty much did the same thing leaving the Fest on an excursion to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

Three weeks ago, we did a two day trip south of St. Louis using all back roads with the exception of a few miles on I-55 (craigslist Vanagon shopping).

Yeahdude38

Race pipe, bro!
TDI
2011 Golf CJAA, 02 GTD ALH Swap (Rekt),
Find me when you are there or PM me for number exchange. I am down to play some disc and one of the things I am looking forward to. On the Sunday River website it says its $5 for the 9 holes, which it is what it is. I play regularly, but we only have 1 course on the cape. We will just make it as it is only open until the 6th.

Disc Golf is open 10:00AM - 4:00PM Thursdays through Sundays from June 25 through September 6, then Fridays through Sundays from September 11 through October 11. *Please note that the course will also be closed for the Tough Mountain Challenge on July 25, 2015.

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
I can't say it enough: if you are driving at dawn, dusk or night, please keep your eyes peeled for moose. I had one come out in front of me yesterday on the bike and it was ok but still went to pucker factor 11 nonetheless!

Moose don't reflect or show up like deer and if you see one, assume another is lurking as well. They seem to be out in droves lately.

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
Parallel to the roadway gives you a chance... Perpendicular, not so much!

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
FYI to be careful re: moose! We saw one on the side of the Jordan access rd. Last night after trivia. He looked poised to mess up some unsuspecting person's day!