DSG Tune Question

Danspassat

TDI
2012 Passat
I just purchased a new to me 2012 Passat SEL Limited with 40k on it. It of course has a lot left on the emissions warranty. Would getting a DSG tune void the warranty? I would love to get both the engine tune, and DSG but I already know the engine software will void it. I am just looking to smooth out the DSG and keep the engine in the power band a bit better. I have read of good success with just the DSG tune.

Thanks for any help.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I don't know the answer to your question but like you would like to find out. I also have a very low mileage (34,500) '13. I suggest you look at the emissions fix warranty booklet very carefully about what it says re: tuning the car, and not just trust what someone posts here. You are on the hook if VW denies a warranty claim notwithstanding what anyone posts on here. Also, in your case that extended warranty will expire I believe 10 years after the original in-service date (some time in 2022). That's not far off.

I frankly would not chance voiding the warranty for the sake of the DSG tune unless you have really clear guidance that the warranty will not be affected. In my car, the DSG is really smooth and has lightning fast shifts; I personally feel no need to improve or smooth out the transmission at this point.

By the way, at 40K you are actually due for service of the transmission. Have you done that?

I am only going to consider tuning my car after the extended warranty expires. Too many things can and do go wrong with this car, especially the various components associated with the emissions system

Danspassat

TDI
2012 Passat
I actually just picked up the car, and all service has been done at the VW dealer. However the 40K hasn’t been done yet. I am going to go to MF automotive on Tuesday I think and ask them about the DSG service, and the DSG tune. See what they think about the potential warranty issue.

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Golf Wagon, 97 Golf Turbo Diesel
I frankly would not chance voiding the warranty for the sake of the DSG tune unless you have really clear guidance that the warranty will not be affected.
I don't like the DSG in my 2012 JSW very much, but I'm also worried about giving VW any excuse not to honour the emissions warranty.

Also, it's one thing to 'brick' a cheap phone, but I don't want to do it to a $$ (many k) transmission!
:)
I'm thinking about having the DSG service done, even though I'm only half way to the recommended mileage (42 k km on my car).

MK6_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 B7 Passat TDI SEL
i just picked up the same thing. 2012 SEL Premium with 40k about a week ago. I've already been looking into it as well. It depends on the dealer somewhat. The few dealers here in OKC are all certified and dealers of tuners out there. They will go to bat for you if you get it done but ultimately VW can deny it and void it all. I too believe the DSG and engine tune is worth it. Buddy runs out of warranty in October for his Golf TDI and i drove it last month...holy hell stage 2 and a DSG tune is balls fast. I just wish VW put the same steering wheel with paddles for our cars like they do on the 3.6L.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
My understanding from reading the forum is that the flappy paddle steering wheel can be retrofitted to a TDI.
yes. just have to activate the tiptronic. you can even put a mk7 one on. just have to activate the coding for the wheel mounted cruise. and I just put on a mk6 gli wheel on my sportwagen. got it with the airbag for 400.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
i just picked up the same thing. 2012 SEL Premium with 40k about a week ago. I've already been looking into it as well. It depends on the dealer somewhat. The few dealers here in OKC are all certified and dealers of tuners out there. They will go to bat for you if you get it done but ultimately VW can deny it and void it all. I too believe the DSG and engine tune is worth it. Buddy runs out of warranty in October for his Golf TDI and i drove it last month...holy hell stage 2 and a DSG tune is balls fast. I just wish VW put the same steering wheel with paddles for our cars like they do on the 3.6L.
ita amazing what a tune does. i love mine. and the tiptronic gli wheel i put on my mk6 jsw.

MK6_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 B7 Passat TDI SEL
Ya I found a video in the wheel swap. I like the newer mk7 wheels but I’m so used to the controls of the MK6 platform with the screen. Just gotta find one from a 3.6 SEL or a golf TDI. I dint want the red stitching anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SailTAP300

TDI
2015 Passat TDI-SE w/ Sunroof; and 2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1
Hi All:
I did both the KermaTDI Q-Pro Flash tune and the DSG TDI flash tune for my 2015 Passat TDI-SE.
I highly recommend both of them. The car performs incredibly well with lots more torque and responsiveness. I was so impressed that I bought additional tunes for my brother's 2015 Passat TDI-SE and my nephew's 2015 Jetta TDI-SEL. They, too, are amazed at the difference.
I say "Go for it!"

Titopassatsel

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
Hi All:
I did both the KermaTDI Q-Pro Flash tune and the DSG TDI flash tune for my 2015 Passat TDI-SE.
I highly recommend both of them. The car performs incredibly well with lots more torque and responsiveness. I was so impressed that I bought additional tunes for my brother's 2015 Passat TDI-SE and my nephew's 2015 Jetta TDI-SEL. They, too, are amazed at the difference.
I say "Go for it!"

What about the mpg? How much additional power they advertised to you?

Last edited: