Power Distribution Module (J519) toasted? c'mon GURUS !!!!!!

MakDad

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta.
Here's the short story....

Getting absolutely no signal/communications for the following modules:

-All 4 door control modules (no signal/communication)
-Databus for Infotainment (no signal/communication)
-Steering column Electronics module (J527) (no signal/communication)
-Control Module for Climatronic (J255) (no signal/communication)
-Data Bus for comfort system (no signal/communication)
-Module for Central Convenience Control (J393) (no signal/communication)
-Control Module for Network (J519) (I think it's also called the Power Distribution Module or Central Electronics Control Module) (no signal/communication)

I have no turn signals, hazards, a/c and recirculation buttons don't light up, dash board doesn't have the blue back-light.

I've noticed this happens when the "key ON in ignition" chime doesn't chime. After I disconnect + connect the battery, everything works again for a short time. When it happens again, VCDS can't communicate with those modules again.

I'm leaning towards a toasted J519 Module (the one under the steering wheel with the relays) but not too sure...... Any ideas, anyone ???
:confused::confused::confused:

vwmttek

TDI
06 jetta tdi
Double check all your fuses (burn't fuse can cause no communication)Then try doing a capacitor discharge - Disconnect BOTH battery cables, touch them together. NOT while connected to battery.

MakDad

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta.
Double check all your fuses (burn't fuse can cause no communication)Then try doing a capacitor discharge - Disconnect BOTH battery cables, touch them together. NOT while connected to battery.
checked all fuses, all ok. disconnected the battery again, connected it and the problem went away, for now. Turn signals work, dash lights up, 3 of 4 window motors still can't be seen by VagCom and windows don't move. Power locks don't work at all.

MakDad

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta.
I'd be checking the ground wires for corrosion.
yes, definitely leaning towards a bad ground somewhere since only 1 of 4 windows works now. also, someone said something about pinch protection being activated, but for 3 windows at ONCE ?

D-Cell, any ideas where the ground for the windows motors is located ? tried looking at the wiring diagrams in the Bentley Manual, but can't figure it out. those track illustrations are so fricken confusing....
:confused::confused::confused:

MakDad

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta.
Quick update:

All four windows are going up and down now (the driver is going in reverse of the button though for some reason). Everything works, still one code active:

-Databus for Infotainment (no signal/communication)

What the heck is this databus for infotainment? Could it be the fuse I pulled out to keep the radio from eating up my battery?

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
I know it sounds silly... Check your alternator. Either over-voltage or more likely a.c. riding on your d.c. line. My son's Sportwagen developed something like this not too long ago.

All dash lights and instruments went out. If you shut the car down all would be well when it was restarted, but not too long afterwards the same failure yet again. In no case was there a battery warning or anything else.

All this the end result of a failed alternator. The only code set was for airbags which we cleared with the VagCom. No damage to the car whatsoever.

Good luck.

MakDad

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta.
I know it sounds silly... Check your alternator. Either over-voltage or more likely a.c. riding on your d.c. line. My son's Sportwagen developed something like this not too long ago.

All dash lights and instruments went out. If you shut the car down all would be well when it was restarted, but not too long afterwards the same failure yet again. In no case was there a battery warning or anything else.

All this the end result of a failed alternator. The only code set was for airbags which we cleared with the VagCom. No damage to the car whatsoever.

Good luck.
How do I check it Nord ? Would the local parts store be able to diagnose a bad alternator for me ? (I know they do free testing) or is it something I can do with a tester ?

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Most shops will only see the d.c. output of an alternator and even a good unit will have a small a.c. ripple. This is easily absorbed by the battery, so when hooked to the car's system it will be all but undetectable.

The problem comes when the a.c. ripple becomes too large for the battery to level out. Your best bet as far as testing would be to set a meter on about 100v a.c. and see what kind of readout you're getting. As I said above, a slight a.c. current riding on the line isn't of much concern. Once above a volt or so, then I'd be suspicious and if as I think likely you'll detect at least 15v a.c. and possibly more if the unit is bad.

If this happens to be a repeatable problem and you can stay fairly near home base I'd suggest disconnecting your alternator and going for a drive. By that I mean the wiring, not the serpentine belt. If the problem disappears you can be fairly certain that you've found the root cause. If not, then you've got a reasonable chance that all is well with your charging circuit.

One more point before I take my leave... You don't by any chance have a 120v outlet on the vehicle, do you? If so, then I'd look at the inverter. Get it out of the circuit and then do your diagnostics.

If I had my bets I'd go with an alternator problem. It happens and it's logical.

vikingnorth

TDI
audi a4 8E sline quattro 170
Hi, I know its an old thread but I have an a4 8E avant experiencing the exact same problems, tried replacing the steering wheel control module for a known working unit and recoded it but the fault re-appeared pretty quickly. Did you ever find a solution?

MakDad

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta.
Hi, I know its an old thread but I have an a4 8E avant experiencing the exact same problems, tried replacing the steering wheel control module for a known working unit and recoded it but the fault re-appeared pretty quickly. Did you ever find a solution?
It was either the wiring from the alternator or alternator itself if I remember correctly. I think Nord was correct but I changed the alternator and some of the wiring at the same time so I'm not sure which one it was..

Try to find a good working alternator and see if it fixes the problem. it might be shorting out internally. Let us know