Lift for TDI Sportwagen (for oversize tires)

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I am about to put my Exxor wheels on with 215/55/17 tires. The backspacing on the wheels is et38. I'm hoping no spacers will be needed? Did you have any rubbing with full turn on your front wheels with the 70 series 205 tires? Thanks

SomeJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6m
I have been googling around and am able to find what appears to be OEM Tiguan springs, however they always have them listed with different colored dots. Does anyone know how to translate the color codes? Im sure it has to do with stiffness. Just need to know what to look for off a standard non sport Tig.

If i can find a set of these non sport springs with shocks, I will so put them on this spring with my new larger tires. :D

J

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
If you got the cash the Tiguans are nice but I bought moog springs that are made in the USA and lifted the front and rear an inch. Do a search for moog springs. I've had them for two years and they worked out nice. I even put 10mm spacers in the front also.

disco biscuit

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I have a distinct intrest in this thread. My '10 Jetta DSG is geared way to low. In Texas the speed limit is 75 everywhere now. Which really means 85...I was agressively boxed in after work by a mid sixty year old couple in a full size van with a rascal in the back doin around 93mph. Serious business.

I desperately need to fit a 275/45/20 to get the rpms right fer this s***!! Thats an exaggeration. I havaent done the math totally but I know I run close to 3k rpm doin 80. For me in a diesel that final gear ratio/rpm in a six speed is annoying.

Point is. Different situations require different things. I need this to get my rpm right and correct this at least some. I'll prolly try the spacer route..not much just enough to clear whatever tire I need. I think as long as the rims and wheel wells are proportioned correct it can look as good as anything else.

Im not all looking for the red rabbit look up there. I understand how someone would need it but I got the 04 disco for all that biz. That rabbit really does look intresting. Is it a AWD outta something?

SomeJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6m

muldouthi, I followed your vortex thread for quite a while. Actually have read through the whole thing several times... You mentioned that you tried some tig springs and they were really stiff but did give you a nice bump in height. The one thing that confused me was if that was on your rabbit or a JSW? It almost sounded like it was your wife's JSW? Do you still run those springs, and what was the color codes? After this bout of snow we have had lately, I am seriously looking to get a tig spring and stock setup here in the next month or so to be ready for when I go to replace my tires at the same time. It's just really hard getting much info on the parts used for those who have put the tig hardware in a JSW. I have a PM out to someone over on vortex who did exactly what I am looking to do, just waiting to see if he responds. (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5498963-Tiggy-springs-2010-JSW-TDI-LOVE!)

If anyone else has any info on a good tig spring/shock setup that is not sport... There are a few threads on vortex stating that the tig suspension is pretty much fully interchangeable both forwards and backwards with the jsw and golf (mkvi). The trick for our setup seems to be getting the proper stiffness.

Thanks for any info you are able to provide! :D
J

mldouthi

TDI
Rabbit
I am about to put my Exxor wheels on with 215/55/17 tires. The backspacing on the wheels is et38. I'm hoping no spacers will be needed? Did you have any rubbing with full turn on your front wheels with the 70 series 205 tires? Thanks
I did not rub at all with 1in spacers and these tires on stock steel wheels.

muldouthi, I followed your vortex thread for quite a while. Actually have read through the whole thing several times... You mentioned that you tried some tig springs and they were really stiff but did give you a nice bump in height. The one thing that confused me was if that was on your rabbit or a JSW? It almost sounded like it was your wife's JSW? Do you still run those springs, and what was the color codes? After this bout of snow we have had lately, I am seriously looking to get a tig spring and stock setup here in the next month or so to be ready for when I go to replace my tires at the same time. It's just really hard getting much info on the parts used for those who have put the tig hardware in a JSW. I have a PM out to someone over on vortex who did exactly what I am looking to do, just waiting to see if he responds. (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5498963-Tiggy-springs-2010-JSW-TDI-LOVE!)

If anyone else has any info on a good tig spring/shock setup that is not sport... There are a few threads on vortex stating that the tig suspension is pretty much fully interchangeable both forwards and backwards with the jsw and golf (mkvi). The trick for our setup seems to be getting the proper stiffness.

Thanks for any info you are able to provide! :D
J
I used the tig springs on my golf (gf has an allroad), they were from a 2.0t tig, the picture below shows the dots on the rear springs. I dont recall what the front ones were, sorry. The suspension is pretty stiff until I put over 200 or so pounds in the back then it rides a little nicer, but still has a "sporty" feel.

Masterpersonal

TDI
2012 JSW
If you got the cash the Tiguans are nice but I bought moog springs that are made in the USA and lifted the front and rear an inch. Do a search for moog springs. I've had them for two years and they worked out nice. I even put 10mm spacers in the front also.
can you reference part numbers for the springs and spacers?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
You get them from rock auto.com. Just put your vehicle in and put 6cylinder. The spacers are factory Vw parts you can get from bora parts or idparts just call them.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Sorry I thought we were dealing with mk4's. moog may still have a spring for the mk6 through rock auto. All of their springs I believe raise the vehicles a but cause they are kind of a universal spring so the are a heavy duty spring. See if they list a moog spring for the mk6?

TDI in MT

Veteran Member
TDI
none, sold it.
Metalnerd.com has lift kits for the Golf. My '03 Golf had the 2" kit put on by the previous owner. It also had tires one size taller and one size wider than stock. Only rubbing I heard was when backing up while turning hard either way.

The previous owner had a 500' long dirt driveway and the area usually got a lot of snow. I suspect those reasons are why the lift kit was installed. I do like the higher car body because it makes it easier to get in to (I'm 6'1") but I'm not sure I would have done it. My driveway is 20' long and concrete. :D

SomeJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6m
I put a ping out to someone at 1stvwparts.com using the vin from a 2011 Tiguan S 4motion.

Here is what I got back for parts# and prices:
[FONT=&quot]5N0-411-105-S $100.28ea (front springs)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5N0-413-031-AK $112.00ea (front shocks)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3C0-511-115-AE $103.21ea (rear springs)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5N0-513-049-AB $103.94 (rear shocks)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Total in parts $838.86. Shipping would be around $40-$50 due to the weight.
[/FONT]
It is a little steep in price for me right now, but hoping try this later this summer. If someone else tries it before I can, be sure to post some results :D

J

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
It's pretty easy to find lightly used stock Tiggy suspension parts. I found some on VWVortex last week. Those guys are swapping for lowering kits too. You should be able to get the springs alone for around $100. I'm needing struts/shocks anyway, and found a set that only had 4k miles. So springs and dampers on all four corners for a couple hundo $$ isn't too bad.

SomeJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6m
I'll have to look around over there a little bit more. That's loads better than the $900ish for new. I've been keeping a some what close eye on ebay with no luck.

Thanks,
J

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Ok, here's how the install went...

I ended up using the tiggy rear springs and shocks. The springs were the same length as the stock JSW springs, so no lift. They are stiffer and will haul weight better, so I'm happy with the result. The tiggy shocks were about 3" longer than the stock JSW shocks. I shortened the bump stop so in full compression they are about the same length as was the stock setup.

On the front, I ended up using the tiggy struts with my stock springs. Without lift in the rear, I really didn't want to raise the front. I guess I could've ordered some spacers for the rear spring perches, but I was really after new shocks/struts and more load carrying in the rear, so the overall swap worked well for me. As a side note, the front tiggy struts were the same length as my stock JSW struts, but seemed to be valved for the heavier tiggy. This will work well and be like getting a set of HD struts for a fraction of the cost.

Finding lightly used tiggy suspension parts from a dude that lowered his fairly new ride is the way to go. With used tiggy parts, new bolts, strut mounts, and rear shock mounts, I had about $300 total invested. I did also buy a nice set of triple square bits, but will be able to use those on future projects. The spring compressor was a free Autozone rental. Ah, I also got a Metalnerd strut mount spreader... Priceless. ID Parts was extremely helpful and shipping was fast even around a holiday weekend.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
awesome! good to hear the install went well. before/after pics?

let's say you did want to raise the car - would installing spacers along with the tiggy springs & struts on the front and back raise the wagen a couple of inches?

SomeJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6m
Did you happen to get a before and after height measurement of your back end? Others have reported the springs may be the same size, but the extra stiffness will give a "lift" by not compressing as much. Also any idea what model tiggy the parts came from?

Did you need the new shock and strut mounts or is that just a standard thing to change out when changing/upgrading such items?

Cheers,
J

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
awesome! good to hear the install went well. before/after pics?

let's say you did want to raise the car - would installing spacers along with the tiggy springs & struts on the front and back raise the wagen a couple of inches?
Yes, several others have shown the front raised about 1-1.5" with the tiggy front springs. You could use tiggy springs with JSW or tiggy struts. You would have to add a spring perch spacer such as listed here (http://www.autotech.com/product/suspension-bushings/10-512-190K.html?fromcat=) to gain height in the rear with tiggy or stock JSW springs. Use stock springs for a softer ride. Use tiggy springs for hauling or trailering applications.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
great, thx! so tiggy springs in the front & spacers w/JSW springs in the back. sounds easy enough. :)

if vw won't make an all road version...

Yes, several others have shown the front raised about 1-1.5" with the tiggy front springs. You could use tiggy springs with JSW or tiggy struts. You would have to add a spring perch spacer such as listed here (http://www.autotech.com/product/suspension-bushings/10-512-190K.html?fromcat=) to gain height in the rear with tiggy or stock JSW springs. Use stock springs for a softer ride. Use tiggy springs for hauling or trailering applications.

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Did you happen to get a before and after height measurement of your back end? Others have reported the springs may be the same size, but the extra stiffness will give a "lift" by not compressing as much. Also any idea what model tiggy the parts came from?

Did you need the new shock and strut mounts or is that just a standard thing to change out when changing/upgrading such items?

Cheers,
J
I did not take height measurements. Sorry... The tiggy rear springs sit about the same as stock height (+/- .25") I agree they will not sag as much. I usually have 200-300 lbs of stuff in the car most of the time, so this will improve my ride and handling all around.

The tiggy was a 2wd/fwd non-sport.

The strut and spring mounts are suggested replacements. I have 95k miles and counting, and did not want squeaks or rattles to plague me after the spring and strut swap. It was too much work to not throw an extra $80 towards new mounts. I could've easily re-used them, but decided against it.

One little note here is that my JSW rear shock mounts were the "oval style". The ones that came with the tiggy stuff were round. The round rear shock mounts from ID Parts were an exact bolt on, and worked great with the tiggy shocks.

adamek

TDI
2002 VW TDI Beetle, 2012 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI
Looking for stiffer springs or maybe a lift for my 2012 Sportwagen. With just myself in the car, no problem. With three adults, one teenager, and luggage for a long weekend the bumper scrapes at my driveway gutter.

I had a 1.5" lift and panzer plate on my old 2000 Beetle, but I sold that last year. I needed the lift to deal with all of the frost heaves on the road to my parent's camp, but that road's finally been fixed up. Now I just need something to deal with steep driveways and heavy loads.

Skoda Octavia

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I got the rear end lifted with MAD helper springs. They were expensive to import but worth every penny. My hitch does not hit, even when I have the car fully loaded with samples it stays level. The springs are progressive, the ride and turn in on the car feels better. There should be a thread with a picture on the forum. I will try to take some pictures when the car is on a flat surface with no gear inside.

BeaverMan

TDI
10 JSW
Lifts

Apologies for thread resurrection and hijacking, I've been following this one over the past year or so with some ideas in mind for my 2010 JSWTDI (3 pedal).

I've had an unfortunate (fortunate?) string of events in the last week that leads to the following mods.

On the jobsite this week two nasty bolts have seated themselves in the tread of one tire, causing a slow leak. Tireshop shakes head and doubts patchability. Also sidewall bulge is developing in another tire. These are the originals with 35k on them, so two are toast and two under half life remaining. Also hit and run in parking lot has caused cracked bumper rear cover, no major damage underneath. I've got it off right now doing a little bondo magic then rolling on the herculiner, yes truck bed coating. Might as well put light truck tires on as well.

Geolander ATS 215/60/16 arrive on the 23rd for mounting so I'll report back on fitment for stock right height.

Anyone come up with a solution yet for the front spring distance spacer, and is the 19mm autotech spacer confirmed in long use as a spacer option for the rears? My research yields 20mm Weitec spring distance kits that can be sourced through ebay euro for ~200us total front and back, pricey for 20mm.

Alpina

TDI
2013 JSW
How I lifted a 2013 JSW

June 18, I bought a 2013 JSW to replace my 2001 BMW 325 Xi. Two months later, I have lifted it a bit, added a bike rack (modified from the BMW), added the Dieselgeek Panzer Plate and shifter and replaced the summer wheels with 17 X 8 with 235/45/17 tires. I have 7200 miles on the changes and everything is working well. The original wheels will have my four snow tires. The springs lifted the car about 3 inches and I have maybe 9" of ground clearance down the center. I live at 8000 feet in the mountains, so clearance is important. I also have a Westfalia hitch, so need the extra capacity the Tiguan springs provide.
The rear sway was also replaced with the H&R 24mm.
I'd be happy to upload a picture if someone can direct me. I've looked around and can't seem to figure out how.
H&R sells a spring kit for a 2013 Tiguan. The Tire Rack has it listed as:
H&R Sport Spring Set
Front and Rear Fitment $218.00
Ride Height: Lift
Note: Avg lift +1.2"F & +0.6"R.
Lift varies by engine size and model. For 4WD models only. Price: $218.00 (kit)
Estimated Availability: Special Order
Manufacturer Part #: 29037.1
If you go to their site, remember to search for a 2013 Tiguan.

Dadskier

TDI
2013 JSW 6M
I'd love to see pics.

You have to have the image hosted externally and then paste the URL into the image button pop-up.