Doin's at Dan's

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Drove Robert6401's wife's car (the one I worked on all weekend) to work this morning.
It is a totally different car, plenty of power, no hesitation.
DSG works well.
It does have a rythmic wheel bearing or tire noise. Nothing severe, but noticeable. This can probably wait until he gets back off deployment, and I'll help him fix it.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I took some logs and did a short full throttle run today on the drive home in Robert's car, and found out why it was so peppy.

It went into limp mode during the full throttle run. The log told the tale - the springs are weak in the turbo actuator, and the turbo was typically running about 200 mbar over the target MAP. So it overboosted, and went into the limp mode.

When I got it home and tested the turbo controls, it only took 2" hg to start moving the control lever, and it was at full boost position by 13" hg. So I spent a couple of hours adjusting that. These BRM turbos are hard to access any adjustment on. What a pain. It now starts moving at 6" and is at full boost postion by 21" hg.

Now it runs almost on target, is a bit less peppy, but should not overboost and should get a tad better fuel economy.

I'll check it out tomorrow again.

This means I did not get the glow plug harness replaced or the fan repaired, yet. Time for bed.

Robert6401

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG
Well that's good to hear. I also wanted to let you know that the wife is in no big rush if you want to keep the car a few more days. The last thing we want to do is put a bind on you after being so helpful. Just let me know. Thanks again!

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I am still working toward a Wednesday afternoon pickup, but it will not bother me if it sits for a few more days.

The glow plug harness, while it has cracks in it, is not presently causing any issues (not even CEL's or DTC's). It does need to be replaced, and I have the new one, but whether it is done now or next fall is probably of very little consequence.

The small fan should be repaired tonight- it needs to be working before the hot weather hits this spring, to better support AC use. If time allows I will do the GP harness as well.

Do you want the cam, lifters, bearings, belts, rollers, tensioners, oil containers, filters and boxes - all the garbage from this job? Usually I just throw it all away, because the owner sees it all go in. All the used bolts/nuts have already been put in the metal recycle bin, so I would have trouble finding them. Since you and I don't really know each other, I thought you may want it to provide some assurance that I really did install all the new stuff.

It is a pretty large box of stuff.

Maybe you would just want to keep the cam, followers, and bearing shells? Just let me know.

Robert6401

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG
Dan, your reputation precedes you. Otherwise I wouldn't have sought your assistance to begin with (although you have definitely gone above and beyond my wildest expectations). So no, I don't need any assurance. Besides, I'll probably have to get you to help me if something were to fail, so that wouldn't have been a very efficient use of your time:p

Having never replaced any cam myself, I may find it educational to see the old one removed just to glean a better understanding of how they work, so if you want to send that with the car I would appreciate it. And anything else you think I may find useful. Otherwise you can junk whatever else there is.

Just let one of us know when would be a good time for her to come pick the car up and she'll see if her brother can get her out there.

Thank you!

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The car is ready to be picked up.
The cam, bearings, lifters and a few other "spare" parts are in a box in the trunk.
The invoice for the parts is in the front seat.

A new looking A5 plastic belly pan is installed.
A new glow plug harness is installed.
The small fan has been fixed - it was just a sticking brush on the DC motor.

I used some self adhesive bases and ty-wraps with strongbacks made of cuts from a plastic bottle to hold the hood liner up in place. It had fallen down and a squirrel or other rodent had put some plums or other large seeded fruit up in there, with some loose nesting material. I don't think it happened at my house; I have never seen any large seeded fruit like that around my place.

A rodent can do severe damage to a vehicle. They tend to eat the wiring. You might check around your car parking place. Of course it could have happened at the previous owner's place as well.

Robert6401

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG
Very interesting, Dan. I don't think the car has been with us long enough for that to have happened, but I'll keep an eye out. I am excited to hear what the wife has to say about the new car when she picks it up later. Thanks again for everything.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The small amount that I saw could have been done in one day. They can be pretty industrious.

It did not look that bad; the hood liner was hanging down a bit, as it does in every 5 year old A5 (as far as I can tell). It wasn't until I went to put it back in place that I found the fruit and other detritus.

Last edited:

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Glad to know. I've waged a bit of a battle with tree rats this year and have managed to thin the heard down quite a bit with my TF89. I don't think they've ever messed with the auto's though, but I guess I watch the cars along with the bird feeders.

Robert6401

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG
I guess anything possible. We have a persimmon tree (hate it) near the parking area. Other than that we have blackberries and pear trees up near the pasture, but nowhere close to where we park. I will definitely keep a look out for any possibility of a continuing problem.

N41EF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf, 2009 ML 320, 2006 NB, 2001 NB
Dan, do you have a manual with a wiring diagram for a 2011 Golf?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Steve and his son Jonah are replacing the small radiator fan, thermostat, head coolant outlet fixture, 01M fluid and filter, oil change, dogbone mount, and O-ring on the EGR valve.

Elfnmagik (David) is putting stainless steel rods in his fuel pump (common rail lift pump) and fuel filter change.

DidJettaRun (Bruce) is replacing some rear brakes for a friend on a gasser Jetta. No good deed goes unpunished - the bolts have all be re-used and are buggered up. He is fighting it to a standstill.

ReferenceDesign

Veteran Member
Hi Dan

Got all the parts in for Hanna's BRM soon to be BEW cam swap. I want to discuss with you proceedures first. Not sure if I should take your whole day for that but I do have the slope inverter I need to test for the BEW actuators. Let me know if you get any cars in with the reversed actuator and I'll come over to test.

Shoot me an email with your contact phone. I can't seem to find it.
refd123@gmail.com

Charlie

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Charlie, I sent my numbers to both email addresses.

The 2006 BRM needs a cam and timing belt. The cam lobes are severely worn at 180kmiles.

SC RIGGR brought over his very nice 2003 wagon, we re-routed his hood operating cable, clamped his battery down, turned down his EGR, found low air flow allowing low power - then found the problem and fixed it. His CCV hose port was open to atmosphere and allowing air to bypass his MAF and filter.

Now for a nap.

NewbeeMC9

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 6-speed
A/C Question Dan,

i Have 99.5 Jetta
- AC works in fan position 1 but no blower;
-Position 2 no AC or blower , AC light out
-Position 3 no AC, Blower works, AC light out
-Position 4 no AC, Blower works, AC light out

there were recent times when AC would sometimes work on 3 then go out later.

Doing research here, it is either the rotary switch in the controls or the Resistor pack on the blower motor, but did not find definite post of one or other with answer.
Jiggling/ wobbling switch does not seem to make a difference.

What are your thoughts?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Most often what you describe is the resistor bank. You can fix it cheaply with thermal fuse from Radioshack.
Be sure to also lubricate your fan bearings. Usually the resistor bank thermal fuse blows because of a dragging fan, giving little cooling air flow and pulling high amps. If you don't fix the root cause, it will just happen again.