Another Jetta Dome light issue...not door latches!

krob

TDI
2006 Jetta
Ok so my wife's 06 Jetta has me stumped. Open any door and you get a door curtseys light and the interior floor lights. Also the corresponding light on the dash comes on fine. You turn the interior map or dome light on and both the front and back overhead lights work fine. BUT if you place the rocker switch for the interior lights to door....they never come on when you open the door. ANY DOOR...not just driver door. Thing I also noticed is no trunk light. I asked my wife about it and she's like I think I had a trunk light...no help since the interior lights have not been door activated for more than 4 months and she never told me...ugh.

So the issue is dome lights do not come on when any door is open. I have played with all doors and latches and they are all doing their job. Plus it is not as if all 4 door latches would go bad at exactly the same time.

Any ideas guys...driving myself nutz chasing this down!! FYI we were the first owners so no one has been hacking at the wires.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I had a mk4 that had goop from the harness tape in a dome-light wiring plug under the a-pillar trim. Acted almost exactly as you describe.

Just a suggestion.

lsrryn

TDI
2006 TDI w/ 6 spd. DSG 120k miles
i had a similar problem, but mine was all in the switch, i t made a scratching sound when it was switched and i could never get it to stay on the 'door' setting... 100$ later and an ordered part from VW, and that solved my problem.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
On mine, the 3 position rocker switch failed. To fix it, I replaced the whole panel which came with all the bulbs, switches and sunroof control. Will the dome light come on in any position of the rocker switch?

The panel is easy to remove though..............
From your other thread.............

krob

TDI
2006 Jetta
The rocker switch does feel a bit funny when you switch it from off to door or from door to on. The door or center position does feel a bit not right. I will check to see what it looks like on the inside.