VW Quantum Turbo Diesel Coupe RARE

rhbelter

Ho, TDI folks,

My Quantum Turbo Diesel COUPE is now on ebay under "other models". Below is the "prose" which is included on my ebay listing.

Volkswagon Quantum Turbo Diesel Rare Collectable Not TDI

I am selling my very rare 1982 Volkswagon Quantum Turbo Diesel Coupe.

You RARE CAR CRAZIES will really love this one!!!! It is almost certainly the most rare production VW to be found.
So rare that there is nothing even in second place! I have owned this car as my daily driver for about ten years, and have
seen a few gasoline coupes, but never another Turbo Diesel Coupe. There were quite a few sedans and wagons.

Furthur, from the VIN, WVWCH0321CE157000, my claim is that it is the FIRST ONE BUILT.
I've not been able to verify this -- The VW people don't even seem to remember that they built it.

The 1600cc turbo diesel engine is mounted fore and aft, so that it can be soft mounted, and is much smoother than
the crosswise engine Golf. The five speed transmission is the best synchro I have ever driven. It shifts just great
without the clutch. Car is perfectly comfortable at 70 mph, in fact, I just drove it to LA on Tuesday. It is NOT a
"back yard derelict". Miles -184,000- Rebuilt engine at 143,950. R-12 A/C is still working fine. The pix show the
instrument panel, which inludes a Westach Boost/EGT gage (~$140.00). Compact spare tire, plus a matching spare mag wheel.
Rear shocks ~two years ago. New windshield about a year ago. No evidence of any crash damage.

Here is the place to tell you that the car is "PERFECT".

It is NOT!!!!

The pix make it look better than it is. The paint is bad, but there are no significant dents -- just car door rash. Furthur, there
is virtually no rust. The right shock-spring tower has some rust which should be treated, and that is just about "it".
The sunroof needs work, and does not close or move properly. The door weatherstripping needs attention -- air leaks. The instruments
and warning lights are --"so-so". Tach does not work, and the oil pressure warning is intermittant. (The instrument electric flex panel needs some
professional attention). I have added LED's which serve the functions OK. The cushion material (that lousy horse hair) in the front
seat backs is shot. The foam bottoms, and entire back seat cushions are OK. The fabric is not -- pretty ratty.

OK --- Reserve is $1000.00 A good running and economical turbo diesel with working A/C is worth that any day as a daily driver.
Plus, this one includes ultimate "bragging rights" for the world's most rare VW. Drive it as a daily driver, and MAYBE the world
will someday realize what a unique and valuable vehicle it is.

Please bid LOUD AND OFTEN.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
web page

pretty cool. I do not remember a coupe version of that car. Good luck with the sale.

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
I have had 2 Quantum TD wagons and a friend had a 4dr sedan Quantum TD, but I have always wanted a Quantum coupe TD and I have only seen one in my life time about 3 years ago here in Tampa. WOW that is a rare one! Wish I could grab it for a restoration project, but too many projects right now.

William J Toensing

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Jetta "value edition" 4 door
Don't have the spare cash to buy your car plus a divorce, (wife would strongly object) but might do some swaping, if interested. I have a BIG 15 passanger 1991 Ford van, some old cars, or antique radios if this interests you. I live in Nevada City, about 1 hour NE of Sacramento.

BlueBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2000, Bright Blue & Yellow, Things & Wings rolling advertisement
How Rare.

I saw an article recently on the VW Vortex concerning a Craig's List add for a 82 Quantum 2dr Gas Coupe. It stated that there were only 2000 imported for one year. The reason that it caught my eye is that my dad owns a Turbo Diesel model that he bought new in 1983 in Lafayette, La. The model was based upon the AUDI 4000 platform if I am not mistaken. Although a little slow to accelerate, it was an excellent interstate cruiser that always returned 46mpg at 70mph. The fore/aft layout of the engine made for a very smooth ride. The hatch and trunk with the back seat folded is cavernous and never complained when it was stuffed with helicopter parts! As I recall that he paid around 14k for it after negotiation. The Quantum never complained and was always ready for action. I have always told him how rare it was. And his plan has been to transplant the TD into a 81 Caddie Pickup that he has.

The thing that I would like to find out is if there were only 2000 built and imported, how many were turbo diesels??? My estimate would be around 200, as I guess that approximately 10% of VW's were diesels in 1982, but that is only a guess. Does anyone have any info on how to get statistics from VW or any other source? I would appreciate it.