This 2006 Beetle TDI looks different.

kybishop

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI (gone)
Looking at Beetle TDI's for my daughter and I ran across this one. The front and rear bumpers and fairing below look different to me. It looks to not have near as much overhang as to what I am used to seeing and they appear to not go down as low as most of the front and rear treatments do.

Is this just the angles of the pictures or is this an aftermarket or optional fairing treatment? I don't know a lot about the Beetles and the changes from year to year. I know the front and rear treatments changed a bit sometime around 2004 maybe? I just have not looked into it yet.

I think there is a piece broken out of the fairing in front of the front drivers side wheel. Also the camera is set to some funky wide angle shooting.

Here is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-...9ea410fc7&item=111304314823&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Last edited:

kybishop

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI (gone)
The more I look at it compared to others I think it is the camera setting twisting the ends back a bit like in all the other photos. You can usually see more of the headlights on these from the side photos. You can't see these headlights much at all from the side.

snoopy

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, Cyber green
front and rear look correct for the year. Broken tab on front (missing underbelly pan maybe?)
The weirdest part is that it seems to sit too high, as if it either has the wrong shocks/struts or it's been lifted... Too much gap between the top of the tire and the top of the wheel well.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Yes, it looks lifted to me as well.

I think the biggest reason that it looks odd is the camera lens. I *think* that it's what they call a "long lens" but I'm not sure. There are a couple of real photographers here that would know the correct terminology.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Looks lifted to me also. Otherwise it looks very good IMO.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
After lookling closely at the photo. I think its just a combination of the color of the car and the lighting(shadow). The dark blue color looks black on fender edge which gives the appearence of more tire to fender clearence. Same with the side of the car. Dark color plus a shadow gives the look of more ground clearence. I'm not quite sure what's going on with the front end though. Looks like somethings missing. Guess we won't know unless the OP pulls the trigger.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
either a wide angle or bug eye lense. Makes all the pictures distorted. I'd ask for a better picture of that front left and see what it really looks like

kybishop

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI (gone)
Thanks guys for looking. I am glad it wasn't just me and I wasn't the only one found it looked different.

Lot of it looks to be the lens.

I wonder if it has a lower profile tire than stock to account for the gap making it appear lifted? I sent them a question about the size of the tires. I didn't see it in the listing, may have missed it.

Bit of a drive for us and not her first choice in color. It just looked different and I was going to check with you guys on the forum.

Did the headlights go from a rounded shape to more of an oval in the later model years of this generation Beetle?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Here is the reply I got from a photographer:

I think the photos were shot with a Canon 10-22 mm lens to a 1.6X cropped sensor on a Canon body (I saw the photographers reflection in one shot).
The central part of the photo will appear closer to the camera due to the curvature of the lens (fish-eye effect) so it does appear the vehicle has been lifted but I think the rubber is probably a 50 series tire that would show more gap between the tire and wheel well opening...

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I have that same lens... It's definitely a UWA (Ultra Wide angle) Anything not in the center of the frame @ 10mm will look distorted...