View Single Post
Old September 28th, 2017, 05:43   #14
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged798 View Post
My MK5 5 cylinder is getting to that point at 220K, #3 cylinder is burning oil at a pretty good rate for some reason. PO abused it pretty bad so its not exactly surprising. That and the vacuum pump pissing oil everywhere answered the question why there were four extra quarts of oil in the trunk when I got it.

Was going to pull the head and see what was going on but the complexity of the timing chain system made me say screw it.

Assuming you mean an A5 car, the vacuum pump leak is common and not that hard to replace. If it is an automatic, you need to take the pump out in pieces, as the "book" method is to pull the transmission which is probably why hardly anyone fixes them... but that is totally unnecessary. I do a lot of these. They do NOT come with a gasket, FYI. Available in Pierburg brand in the aftermarket. Easy job.

The other common oil leak spot is a broken valve cover, specifically the breather part on the front of it... the big round chunk with "Hengst" on it. The valve cover gasket itself can harden and leak too. New valve covers come complete with bolts and gasket. Easy job. Do lots of those too.

You can often undo some of the effects of long time wrong oil use, crappy filter use, and wrong interval and/or allowing the engine to constantly run low (something the A5 5 cyl cars get subjected to a LOT) by running the BG engine restorer treatment on them. That stuff works great.

Depending on what version it is, they are a decent enough engine I guess. The early 150hp versions (3 digit engine code) are prone to timing chain problems but not nearly as bad as the VR6 engines. The later 170hp versions (4 digit engine codes) have improved chain drives and variable displacement oil pumps. With proper care, they seem to hold up pretty well.

Page generated in 0.09982 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 17.34 Kb. compressed to 15.71 Kb. by saving 1.63 Kb. (9.38%)]