View Single Post
Old September 27th, 2017, 04:03   #11
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Take it from someone who has owned a Honda past 300k miles, a Toyota past 350k miles, and a Mazda past 400k miles, checking and topping up oil is not all that big of a deal. Just stay on top of it, and never let it run low. So long as the car starts and runs OK and gets the job done, I'd not lose any sleep over it. And since it is a diesel, it will not have spark plugs to worry about oil fouling. My Mazda towards the end was like a 2-stroke dirt bike. There were many mornings it would drop a cylinder, usually #2, and I'd have to pull the spark plug wire off and hold it about an inch away from the cap to force a hotter spark, which would be enough to make that cylinder hit again, and hold it there for about 20 to 30 seconds while it cleaned itself off... then once I could plug it back into the cap and it would continue to hit, I'd shut the hood and off I'd go.

You may also find that if you keep loose track of your Jetta's oil consumption, you can probably just nix oil changes altogether, and just replace the filter every 10-15k miles.

Page generated in 0.04301 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 15.88 Kb. compressed to 14.29 Kb. by saving 1.59 Kb. (9.99%)]