Need to replace New Beetle antenna, need headliner removal procedure.

cjharris02892

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2000 Golf and 2005 Jetta MKIV w/BEW
I've searched around and can't find any posts for New Beetles. Does anyone know where I can find the steps for removing a New Beetle headliner other than "rip it out" please. Antenna base ripped off and need to replace. Old headliner needs to go back up.

Thanks in Advance.

2001 New Beetle w/sunroof.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I'm a bit confused. Do you need to remove the headliner completely, or just to replace the antenna?

If just for the antenna, no need to remove the headliner. Remove the trim strip at the rear of the headliner. Reach up under the headliner and unplug the antenna. Using a stubby wrench, remove the nut that secures the base. Remove base. Put new base in place, replace nut, plug in, and put trim piece back in place.

Plenty of room to do it this way if you're careful. Most folks can confirm that I'm not a dainty lil' thing and do it this way easily.

One warning. Remove the trim piece carefully. The little clip mounting points like to break.

cjharris02892

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2000 Golf and 2005 Jetta MKIV w/BEW
Not sure.

When the antenna was ripped off it "bent" the hole as the retaining nut was pulled thru. I assumed I had to take the entire liner out in order to effectively straighten my roof at the mounting hole. Guess I could try to straighten it with plyers by twisting it back a little. The base will probably cover the damage.

What about the plug for the antenna coax? I had heard that these can be difficult to remove and that I'd need two hands to do it.

Thanks for the info so far.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Something hard under the antenna hole and a small rubber mallet on the roof works wonders on the ding. Obviously, small taps instead of big hammer swings.

You can get two hands in the opening to unplug the wire. No biggie.