Water pump failure?

justintime_3

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 tdi Jetta, 2006 tdi jetta PKG 2
So driving to work this morning and 06 Jetta and started flashing low coolant. Pulled off the interstate and it was rattling pretty bad. Shut it off and it started overheating. Any chance I did not wreck the head as it was running when I Shut it off.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Assuming you did not open the coolant reservoir and release the pressure, I think you will be fine.

justintime_3

Veteran Member
TDI
Just worried I trashed the timing belt and head. But not sure if the car will still run with a skipped timing.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
just have to look.

should be able to tell taking it apart if the timing is still close.

it all depends on how bad and how fast the water pump went.

are you gonna diy it, or have a garage look into it?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Take your time getting it apart, and pay close attention to belt condition, and the appearance of all parts in the timing belt path. (and how the TDC indicators align or not so much)

take lots of photos, and share them here for feedback, helpful or not.

by the time you have it all apart, I suspect you will be able to figure if you need to press on with just a timing belt replacement (with water pump, pulleys and tensioner), or if you will want to pull the head.

justintime_3

Veteran Member
TDI
So got it home and in the garage and pulled the tb cover off and I think I got very very lucky as the belt is pretty chewed up but all of the teeth are still there. I am thinking water pump locked up and the belt just kept going. Big relief I will let you all know the results.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
So did you lose coolant or did the WP lock up?
Water pumps have coolant drain ports which allow draining coolant before it damages the bearings...

justintime_3

Veteran Member
TDI
Well actually both. It started losing coolant but I ignored the dummy light because I just figured it was a little low on coolant drove it for another five minutes and it locked the water pump up. And I am seriously hoping the rattling was just the belt skipping over the water pump teeth.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would hope the rattling was bearings wobbling in the water pump and that the the belt never had to jump a tooth. perhaps some banging up of the pump inside the block. (hopefully without sending much chipping inside the coolant path)

regardless, the important question is if the timing orientation of the cam and crank shafts stayed intact.