The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Hi Todd,
Thanks for the link. The listing says you should get a link to a PDF with images and installation guide with your order. Maybe on a piece of paper, or in an e-mail?
Hi Todd;
Please do post on how this fits and works out.

I wonder if these are retrofitted used OEM controls, or newly manufactured controls. If newly manufactured, are they Far East cheap aftermarket parts, or better quality?

Will definitely consider as the Climate controls on both of my B4s are near death or completely dead.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
ToddA1 re-sealed his, but it sounded like it was difficult to re-crimp the tanks back on.

You never heard me say that. Worst part was being sure everything was clean for the Ultra Gray. A flat drift and a mallet was used to recrimp/fold over the tabs.

Please do post on how this fits and works out.

I haven’t looked for the paperwork to see if there was a link.

LL showed what was involved. I’ve seen others do the same and I don’t really want to be bothered.

-Todd

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
You never heard me say that. Worst part was being sure everything was clean for the Ultra Gray. A flat drift and a mallet was used to recrimp/fold over the tabs. -Todd
Sorry Todd- guess I heard it from someone else. I may yet do this for no other reason that there is no guarantee that a different used one will be any better.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
You never heard me say that. -Todd
I was the one that said that I found crimping them to be a pain in the rear.

probably my lack of patience... but I decided to switch to a small aluminum FMIC rather than try to reseal another factory side mount with plastic ends.

I picked up my last used one from a boneyard for $40... for the $360 he is asking, you can go to a metal shop that builds them and have a new sidemount made from all aluminum.

Last edited:

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
Yeah, $360 aint gonna happen. It's not a huge leak really. I may address it when the timing belt comes due this Spring.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I picked up my last used one from a boneyard for $40... for the $360 he is asking, you can go to a metal shop that builds them and have a new sidemount made from all aluminum.

Thinking about it, I think I paid $20 for one from a local JY. That was the only A3/B4 TDI that I’ve ever seen in a JY, and that had to be 2 summers ago.

With some cardboard, I’m sure you could cut templates to make the tanks and have a shop weld them to your core.

Personally, I’d just reseal it. You have nothing to lose.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
It holds boost, but it's leaking oil from someplace above the lower hose connection- likely at a seam. It's not a profuse leak; it leaves a drop on the ground every other day if the car is driven consistently.

So I've been looking from time to time for a replacement. ToddA1 re-sealed his, but it sounded like it was difficult to re-crimp the tanks back on.

But $360 is more than I'm willing to pay.
Thinking about it, I think I paid $20 for one from a local JY. That was the only A3/B4 TDI that I’ve ever seen in a JY, and that had to be 2 summers ago.

With some cardboard, I’m sure you could cut templates to make the tanks and have a shop weld them to your core.

Personally, I’d just reseal it. You have nothing to lose.

-Todd
Wouldn't doubt it, but the Mk3 are plentiful whereas the B4 not so much. There were never all that many B4 tdi's in the US and now 20 years later I would bet less than 50% of the original imports remain.

It's too bad they didn't share the same cooler, there were a bunch of Mk3 tdi's in 98 and early 99. Info I've seen says only 2% of the Mk3 cars in 1997 were TDI. Any way you slice it though there were more Mk3 than B4.

I'm with Todd, just try and reseal it and if that fails find a welding shop that will replicate the end caps in aluminum.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fixed a fuel leak on the B4. First time I’ve driven it in a few weeks, and I noticed a large stain in the street, as I pulled up to the house. Opened the hood and fuel was leaking pretty badly. Left another 2x4 stain, in less than a minute.

Tracked it down to a split return hose at the IP. Replaced all the jumpers and soaked the engine and street down in degreaser. Hosed off the engine, but left the street alone. Rain is coming in, and I figure I’d let it soak.

-Todd

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Just got the B4V back from 4 days in the shop.

1) Front motor mount steel was cracked, rubber was fine. Welded the steel. Seems fine now.

2) Replaced the oil pan gasket again. Last one was only a year old. This time sealant used on both sides of the entire gasket.

3) Replaced all 4 CV joints at the same time. Only one side really needed replacement and could have milked the other side a while longer. BUT, now both sides are done and should be good. New parts are TRW.

Shop had a heck of time finding the correct CV joints. In part because of my big brake conversion (VR6 brakes), but mostly because B4 parts are just simply getting hard to find in the marketplace.

Lenard

TDI
02 Beetle "skeetle" Previously: 98 ahu jetta, 05 bew jetta, 97 1z b4 sedan, 2004 bhw passat, 02 alh jetta, 2005 bhw passat, 97 b4v glx 1z swapped, another 98 jetta. Honorable mention: 81 jetta coupe 1.6d
I was just reviewing my spare parts collection yesterday and it does not include a working starter. It does include three inop starters though, not that those do much good.

I would prefer to keep a working spare in the group since I know my wagon starter is not OE. Now to decide whether to have one rebuilt locally or look at getting a Bosch reman unit.

Steve
Steve, I ended up picking up a Bosch reman. Luckily I'm very good friends with the manager of a local Napa, so I get parts at cost.

Since I last posted on this thread, I've had to make many wire repairs. Mostly the injection pump wiring. My injection pump is clearly not the one that originally came with the car. Looks brand new. I have a feeling someone replaced the pump thinking it would solve underfueling issues, when it was actually a completely broken quantity adjustor wire. Also some wires were bypassed At the plug, so I redid them with solder and heat shrink instead of the butt connectors that were there. I was a little upset at the hacked up pump wiring, but then I remembered I have an 11mm alh pump with the wiring cut back about a foot....just need to find a vnt17 before I can justify the swap.

Let's see what else have I done. Completely refreshed front end, short of struts. New snow tires and alignment obviously. After all that was squared away, my nice tight steering revealed a little bit of play in the rack. Not doing anything about it until it's scary.

Finally got around to timing the pump and tweaking IQ after I cleaned injector nozzles and put them on mk4 bodies. Had to ghetto rig a "flow tester" (which was a little rubber boot that came off the backside of a bmw e36 head light. One end fits in nozzle, the other is just big enough for your standard blow gun) to make sure all five holes were spraying. Have some .216 nozzles on the original injector bodies waiting for me to have time to either a) fix my pop tester, or b) get them pop tested and balanced by JasonTDR. I've also got a vnt15 swap on standby to get my foot in the door of vnt and replace my dying turbo. Gotta wait til funds are available for the tune.

Ooooh and I've mounted a double din stereo in the cubby hole under the ashtray. The original stereo slot now has a 3d printed gauge pod waiting to be mounted. I think I may finally fit that tomorrow and take some pictures.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
I've had all the parts to swap over to a BHW turbo for a few months now. Finally took the plunge and started in on it over the weekend since the weather was nice. It was about 60/65 and sunny all weekend. Nice change from the snow we had the weekend before.

Got as far as getting the car mostly disassembled. Found a few things that I'll have to deal with. Like whoever put the Techtonics Tuning exhaust on the car back in 1999/2000 welded all the connections. So the exhaust is one piece from the turbo to the tailpipe. :mad: Have to break out the sawzall, I suppose. I have to change the downpipe because the flange on the turbo is changing. Picked up an aftermarket ALH downpipe, which I'm told will work, but we'll find out...

Also found that my turbo inlet pipe is trashed. Both of the hold down tabs at the turbo are broken off and the pipe is split right at the turbo, as well. Found one on ebay in Latvia and figured I'd give it a try, so I ordered one. I'm not holding out a whole lot of hope that it's the right one (or that it's not junk), but we'll find out. I'm also not positive that it will even work. Using the BHW turbo and exhaust manifold moves the turbo up about an inch or so and moves it toward the back of the car slightly. I'm hoping there is enough play in the accordion pipe to accommodate the movement. And that there's enough hood/raintray clearance to accommodate, as well. I won't be 100% sure until I put it all together.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Vo...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Figured I would send the head off to Frank while I have the opportunity. Also going to contact DBW and see about sending the injectors back in for them to be checked. Again, simply because I have the opportunity. They have about 30k miles on them.

CasaEd

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Passat TDi B4, VW Passat TDi B4 GL, VW Passat B3 PD AWX Conversion
What I did today

Finally changed the stereo & speakers in the B4 today, music a joy to listen to again !

nh nam vet

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 97 Passats , 02 Jetta
Following the example of 97B4TDi, yesterday I took advantage of our January micro-thaw and rotated my tires and washed my DD, now at 346,800 miles. The all season General Altimax RT43 tires were installed in July 2016, shortly after I had a local shop install the LF tie rod assembly. I had put 21,000 miles on these sneakers, never rotated them and was starting to get a very unwelcome steering wheel shimmy at speed. I've got a nice stable steering wheel now. Also, I wanted to keep my back up plan B4 in the commuting mix through the winter, so I removed the 6 spoke rims with mounted Kumho Solus KH16 tires. I then installed stock steel rims with 4 new Yokohama IG52C Ice Guard studless winter tires that I bought from Discount Tires direct via eBay. WalMart mounted and balanced the tires for the carry in price.

The recent CEL issue on my DD is resolved. While troubleshooting, when I first hooked up my laptop computer to my B4, with the VAG-COM software, I only had a Glow Plug Monitoring- intermittent fault. At the same time, when it was routinely below zero every day here in NH, I was starting to get a slow speed shudder, whether the engine was warmed up or not. After I installed the new glow plug harness, I still had a CEL, and told my tale of woe here. Many of you suggested possible Orb of Death wiring and connection failures. I chose not to go there. Thinking that the slow speed shudder was a fuel delivery issue, I subsequently performed a Liqui Moly diesel purge and installed a new Mann WK842/4 fuel filter with no improvement. Next, I suspected my N75 wastegate solenoid was the culprit so I replaced it and still had slow speed shudder with CEL. I finally located my thinking cap, attached it firmly to my head, braved the cold garage and reconnected my laptop to let the VAG-COM software identify the CEL and slow speed shudder villain as Mass Air Flow Sensor G70. I first removed and cleaned the MAF sensor with some CRC brand MAF cleaner, re-installed the MAF sensor and my CEL vanished. Subsequently, I did install a new Mann C31 152/1 air intake filter and a new MAF sensor: 074 906 461; Pierburg # 7.18221.51.0 to ensure no future worries here. Jeff

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Cluster update

Super cold down here in VA. Like below 0.

Started the B4, started right-up, but the cluster came up blank! Drove it around and no speedometer! No fuel gauge, nothin.

After reading Abacus. I assume the cluster is fried? Had Chubs Auto repair it several years ago. Guess these clusters don't like the cold.

Cluster is back in operation! sent it to Derek and he did the repair!!

I did try and clean the ground locations first. But being that it has 177,000 miles on the car and in VA, there was nothing to clean.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
January 22, 2018 I posted about getting the car out of the shop after 4 days. See post #6823 above.

Well, after a couple of days noticed a "clicking" noise in the front end that got worse and worse. So Friday, 2/1/18 I took the car back to the shop. They have ordered a new front axel and both CV joints to see if that fixes the issue. The parts were TRW brand, but who knows where they are from?

I have rented a car for at least 6 days now because of a CV joint issue. Not a happy camper.

Anita keeps telling me, just buy a new car and junk the old one. Keep your life simpler. Maybe she is right.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
John,

Don't know if you have a back-up car/truck. I do, because I have a B4v and a LMM (Duramax). I don't do most of the maintenance. The truck is a combo work and family vehicle. Cars, take MM. (Money and Maintaining) Whether it be new or old.
So, Listen to the woman. Get a different vehicle and keep the B4!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Performed the somewhat annual PM on the sedan’s parking brakes. Felt them dragging for a bit and when it rolled from a parking spot at work, that forced my hand.

Put the rear in the air and both rear wheels were dragging with the parking brake off. Pulled the caliper levers, pulled the boot back a bit and shot some lube in there. Worked the lever back and forth a bit, until it sprung back normally.

I installed a A4 assist return spring on the p/s last time and added one to the d/s today. Pretty much tells me the d/s was fine last time and I didn’t do anything to it.

Also shot some silicone in the parking cable, a few times, while I was messing with the calipers.

When these calipers lock up for good, I may consider swapping to drums.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cluster is back in operation! sent it to Derek and he did the repair!!
I did try and clean the ground locations first. But being that it has 177,000 miles on the car and in VA, there was nothing to clean.

Do you recall what he repaired last time? Did he tell you what went bad, this time?

From previous conversations with him, he said what fails, are either the 2 caps or the Elmos chip.

IIRC, the caps fail first, and if ignored, the chip follows. He mentioned the caps that he installs are way more robust than OE, and should outlast the car.

I’m curious what failed in your refurbed cluster, especially with no telltale signs.

-Todd

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Todd,

I will have to ask him. I am curious as well, but I did not ask, he just repaired it and sent it back. Just glad I have the cluster, was driving without it.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Answer

Do you recall what he repaired last time? Did he tell you what went bad, this time?
From previous conversations with him, he said what fails, are either the 2 caps or the Elmos chip.
IIRC, the caps fail first, and if ignored, the chip follows. He mentioned the caps that he installs are way more robust than OE, and should outlast the car.
I’m curious what failed in your refurbed cluster, especially with no telltale signs.
-Todd

Here is the response=

That's one of the problems with not being able to source new driver chips easily. The electronics are still 20 years old, and you don't know there previous history. The driver could have been run on low voltage and damaged at some point in its life, still pass all the tests but fail later. It's also possible to get new capacitors that fail over time. I use the best grade and brand I can find but just like anything else mass produced your going to get some bad ones.
Hopefully that answers your question, and hopefully the replacement cluster does outlast the car.
Thanks Derek.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
John,
Don't know if you have a back-up car/truck. I do, because I have a B4v and a LMM (Duramax). I don't do most of the maintenance. The truck is a combo work and family vehicle. Cars, take MM. (Money and Maintaining) Whether it be new or old.
So, Listen to the woman. Get a different vehicle and keep the B4!
I have 3 of my own. Truck is on long term loan to son. Next one is a 69 Corvair convertible with 25000 original miles in excellent condition. Simply don't want to use it as a daily driver. She has no issue with a new car, just wants me to get rid of the VW and truck. Anita is a great lady, just has no understanding of the needs of us car hobbyist
Then again, she has a very good understanding of car horders like me?
Truth is she just found out about my 4th car, the Jeep Comanche diesel TDI. And I have another Corvair in storage **** knows about. But she doesn't know I have it in shop getting body work and paint. So that will be 5 cars for me and 1 for her. Fair chance she will not be happy when I bring that car home.

So do I really want to chance buying a nice, reliable car that would be car #6 for me

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
John,

5 cars! so, I understand. Have heard of other members sneaking another car in and worried about getting snagged by the wife. Don't know how you all do it. Unless there is a lot of out buildings to hide things in.

I don't consider myself a hobbyist, but I guess I am since I do have a B4- My wife gets tired of me getting work done on it, it hasn't been that bad though-all cars take maintenance. Have had this B4 for 5 years and she has never been inside it!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I have 3 of my own. Truck is on long term loan to son. Next one is a 69 Corvair convertible with 25000 original miles in excellent condition. Simply don't want to use it as a daily driver. She has no issue with a new car, just wants me to get rid of the VW and truck. Anita is a great lady, just has no understanding of the needs of us car hobbyist
Then again, she has a very good understanding of car horders like me?
Truth is she just found out about my 4th car, the Jeep Comanche diesel TDI. And I have another Corvair in storage **** knows about. But she doesn't know I have it in shop getting body work and paint. So that will be 5 cars for me and 1 for her. Fair chance she will not be happy when I bring that car home.

So do I really want to chance buying a nice, reliable car that would be car #6 for me
I look at it this way. Today there are so few things that actually give a person some pleasure that what's a few more cars in the scheme of things? Only for me it's what's a few more bike parts around the house. My car hoard reached 9 at one point and from there it's been going down now. It needs to go down even more this coming year.

I still have a few too many vehicles and I did pickup a replacement for the truck last winter but now I'm questioning whether I really need that. In the end I'd like the Mk3 tdi, B3V tdi and the dakota truck but if I had to part with the truck I wouldn't cry.

The only real benefit I see is that there's less to worry about / fuss over if something gets sold off, but if you can handle the stress of extra cars I say go for it. As another person said here you must have a lot of out buildings to hide stuff it!

If I lived in the country I could see myself having a problem with extra vehicles, but since I don't live there yet I don't have to worry I guess.

Steve

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My rationale is they're all cheap cars. If you put all 6 of my diesels together you wouldn't have half a Porsche 911. And insurance, maintenance, and taxes are less, too. It's fortunate I find cheap (and mostly old cheap) cars appealing.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Washed the B4 today and while it was inside/warm I looked over my fluid levels.

I noticed my coolant reservoir was about 3/8" below the 'Min' mark...

I know the car doesn't leak any and the only smoke I get is a little unburnt fuel at start-up. I just did a blend door repair and I didn't see any "pink crust" on the heater core... Any thoughts where it could be going?

We have had quite the streak of near zero or below temperatures up here in WI with the longest stretch lasting about two (2) weeks. Could it get cold enough to pull it past the head gasket when it's that cold?

Thanks in advance.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
My rationale is they're all cheap cars. If you put all 6 of my diesels together you wouldn't have half a Porsche 911. And insurance, maintenance, and taxes are less, too. It's fortunate I find cheap (and mostly old cheap) cars appealing.
Peter,

I will have to try that rational on Anita. Suspect she would tell me to just buy the 911 And get rid of 3 or 4 other cars. She would be happy if I only had 2 cars. Hey, it's not her money. She has no problems with spending my money!!!

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Got the wagon out of the shop this morning. Both Axel's and all 4 CV joints were replaced AGAIN. Seems to be OK after a couple of hours driving. Shop wants to replace all 3 motor mounts, but I have ZERO confidence in their parts sources.
My total bill was 1645 and I know they didn't make any money. I also paid about $250 for rental car.
We will see what happens next.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Want to share some good news about the B4V in the last year.
About September,2016 I had a shop recharge my a/c system. 3 months later the a/c failed again. Took the car to a different shop and told them what happened. They checked everything but the a/c core. Pronounced it fine. Recharged system and told me next step was to replace the A/C core for $1200+ and there were only 2 or 3 left in the U.S. system. Well more than a year later the A/C is still fine. So I dodged a bullet on that one.