Apple iphone app to locate diesel fuel stations

cuiab533

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I am aware VW has a website to identify diesel fuel station locations. While browsing the iphone app store, I noticed there is an app that identifies the location of diesel stations on interstate highways.

Has anyone dowloaded the app? If so, do you recommend it?

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
If you mean the app called "Where," I have found it to be the most accurate of any I tried and MUCH better than the woefully out of date and incomplete VW site. "Where" covers a lot more than Interstates, BTW.

An added bonus is good info about motels/hotels and eateries.

-dan

spamlet

TDI
2010 Salsa Red Jetta
I use the GasBuddy app. You can set it to only show diesel stations. I'm not sure how accurate the Where! app is. It shows several restaurants around me that have been closed for years as being open. I've reported them several times to no avail.

Last edited:

Biffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Wow! There are people in the US that actually have difficulty locating stations that carry diesel?

It's literally at every station I've been to here in AL. Now if there were any biodiesel stations my life would be complete!

cuiab533

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
If you mean the app called "Where," I have found it to be the most accurate of any I tried and MUCH better than the woefully out of date and incomplete VW site. "Where" covers a lot more than Interstates, BTW.

-dan
Thank you, the app is iExit Diesel Fuel and its 99 cents in the Apple App Store. It may be worth looking at for that price.

I will search for "Where" also. Good Tip

cuiab533

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG

-dan
Dan, just downloaded "Where". Looks great! Thanks again. As much as I travel, this will be a big help.

slash28

TDI
none yet; '08 Rabbit S
GasBuddy

I used my GasBuddy app to help an X5 driver running on fumes find a diesel station just last night. It isn't always up-to-date with the latest prices, since it is entirely dependent on user submissions, but it does have an "On Fumes" button that shows you all local stations regardless of price availability. If you set your fuel type preference to diesel, "On Fumes" will only show you stations with diesel. I've become an active submitter for my local stations, and I was able to add a missing station, and update a couple others, once I got off newbie status.

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Wow! There are people in the US that actually have difficulty locating stations that carry diesel?

It's literally at every station I've been to here in AL. Now if there were any biodiesel stations my life would be complete!
It's not so much "difficulty" as convenience and overall trip planning. Obviously I don't use the app to find fuel in my home area.

But on a trip last Feb. to Florida, we used it so that lunch, sightseeing or other stops coordinated nicely with refueling. Given that we prefer blue highways, finding fuel in rural areas, while still not difficult, would be more disorganized without an app such as "Where."

-dan

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I use the GasBuddy app. You can set it to only show diesel stations. I'm not sure how accurate the Where! app is. It shows several restaurants around me that have been closed for years as being open. I've reported them several times to no avail.
The database for businesses, whether it shows up on "Where" or your GPS, is often very out of date. It relies on Yellow Pages, local licensing, and other sometimes contradictory or stale data sources. Luckily, the fuel database in "Where" appears to be independent of that.

-dan

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
"Where" stays pretty current w/r/t to fuel stations as it is updated by people posting the fuel prices for the location. If fuel prices aren't updated in a week or so, as I recall, then that location drops off. I use it quite often traveling, locations have all been accurate and fuel prices are within a few cents of posted price. Gasbuddy.com uses a similar model.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
I have been using WHERE for about a year and very accurate and helpful when you're traveling and need to know which stations carry diesel so that you don't waste your time;)

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
On my recent 7,000 mile trek to PDXFest '10 and back I had no difficulties finding Diesel. Granted, I stuck mostly to interstates, but even on the state highways in Idaho, Wyoming, Washington, Colorado, etc I still had no trouble locating fuel.

Every once in a while I'll use the basic map on my iPhone and just search for "Fuel", "Diesel", or "gas station". Obviously not all gas stations have Diesel, but 1 in 4 seems to the ratio I see.

rtdunham

TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI stick

-dan
I don't find "Where" on the iOS app store. There's a "Where To" that shows, among other things, gas stations. But I have that app and I don't see a way to limit findings to diesel stations.

BTW the apple iOS maps app can show gas stations and purports to show diesel. But of five stations it showed me yesterday near my home, three did not, one was out of business, and one sold diesel. It missed another station that sells diesel located in between the stations "found". So not a very good experience.

I'm still looking. Any recommendations? Thanks.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I use gasbuddy too. Although, pricing updates are not always that accurate, most of the stations that say they have diesel really do. Sometimes it takes a bit of exploring to find the pump. If that's the case, I typically won't buy from there since it seems no one else does either.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I don't find "Where" on the iOS app store. There's a "Where To" that shows, among other things, gas stations. But I have that app and I don't see a way to limit findings to diesel stations.

BTW the apple iOS maps app can show gas stations and purports to show diesel. But of five stations it showed me yesterday near my home, three did not, one was out of business, and one sold diesel. It missed another station that sells diesel located in between the stations "found". So not a very good experience.

I'm still looking. Any recommendations? Thanks.
I have it on my iDevices.

The title is WHERE (all caps)

The publisher is WHERE, Inc.

Most recent version is 4.2.7, dated 9/27/2012

Size is 5.6 MB

Category is Navigation

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gas Buddy is available for the iPhone. Very simple to use. Works for my area.
Problem I found with GB is it uses a RADIUS of your position and you can't group them in your direction of travel - on my trip to Ypsilanti last year, it kept wanting me to drive in the OPPOSITE direction for the stations it found. I stopped using it and just looked at the roadside signs.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Agree, that is a problem. Have the same issue when looking for a BofA atm on my blackberry or using the BofA website.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I usually just do an ATM search for the town/area I'll be spending the night and hit it either as I arrive or on my way out. On the same trip last year, I stayed overnight in Wendover, UT which didn't have a branch of my bank so I found the closest one to I-80 as I approached SLC.

For fuel, I'd do the same: try to fill up just before I left in the morning if I was low enough.

JeffDes4

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
The GasBuddy App is supposed to be very accurate not to mention free. Never used one though, know everyplace around here too well to need it and just don't leave our town much.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Although these apps may have utility, I am with those people who don't see much need where diesel is concerned. We just finished an 800 mile trip, and diesel seemed to be everywhere.

ESFlash

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI SportWagen 6MT
+1 for GasBuddy on my andOHroid -- free and rznably accurate -- and yes, Diesel seems to be everywhere, but if you're into finding it at a decent price, GasBuddy works quite well.

--------- on another topic -- whatever happened to the Peps Boys 5 one liter bottle w/filter deal on Mobil 1 ESP 5-30 (507 spec)? -- I hvnt seen that for months ---- I prlby should start another thread on that.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
+1 for GasBuddy on my andOHroid -- free and rznably accurate -- and yes, Diesel seems to be everywhere, but if you're into finding it at a decent price, GasBuddy works quite well.
<snip>
We've had the Passat (our first diesel) only about 4 months, so we've spent a lot of time reading fuel station price signs. And.....there's just not much variation on diesel. In the urban area where we live (dozens of stations) it's varied $3.79 -$3.89, no more since we've owned the car. On the highway, curiously enough, it's usually been 10-20 cents more than even a short distance off the highway. States with lower state tax on fuel, of course, reflect that in the price, these are for Central IL.
The issue of fuel prices has been discussed to death on every car forum I've been to (and to no point, IMHO), but my view is that diesel demand is far more a constant than is gasoline, given where the diesel is primarily consumed, which is heavy trucks and equipment, and railroads. Of course jet fuel is very similar to diesel and kerosene, and that is also a pretty steady demand.

ESFlash

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI SportWagen 6MT
Interesting.......Today in the Austin TX area LSD runs from $3.45 to $3.73.....