A/C Blows Warm

2hellWITHhybrids

TDI
2002 Golf & 04 Jetta Wagon
2004 Jetta Wagon, 150K. A/C just stopped blowing cold air. Both fans spin, even when just the ignition is on, I changed one recently due to a bad bearing, but the A/C still worked for at least a month after doing so, therefore I don't think the fans are an issue. The clutch is engaging when I turn the A/C on and pressure reads fine. All fuses in the block and on top of the battery are fine. Before getting into measuring duty cycle on a bunch of random wires, I was just curious if there is a component known to go out around 150k on this year? Unfortunately I'm troubleshooting this on a broken leg, so I'd like to figure this out the easiest way possible. Thanks in advance for any input you guys may have!

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Do both fans spin with JUST the ignition on... or do you need ignition on and AC on as well?

2hellWITHhybrids

TDI
Fans only spin when the AC button is pushed. When I turn the fan on 1-4 there is no fan movement (although air is blowing from the vents) until the AC button is engaged.

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
What do you mean the clutch engages and the pressure reads fine? If that were the case then it would be cooling.

Are you measuring high and low side pressures w/ the engine running and compressor engaged?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
If your fans are on and your AC clutch is engaging, check your refrigerant pressures.
You may have an RCV (Refrigerant Control Valve) failure. This is very common.

2hellWITHhybrids

TDI
Hooked some gauges up this morning and here's what my pressures read. The first is with the engine off, the second is with the engine running.

Any ideas?

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Your pressures' are way to low. You have 0 # on low side under vaccum. Should be in the 30-40 range. Take two cans of freon and call me in the morning.