Cast Your Vote: OIl Guard vs. Amsoil Bypass

Marissa

No hanging, pregnent chads or manual recounts. One vote per member. You decide for the Elipse Confederation and me.

The Ripster

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time
Having not seen the other close up, I am slightly biased. I have been with AmsOil products for 25 years, so it was a natural choice, and I have not regretted the present
Bypass they now have.

AmsOil for me

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
OilGuard, Biased obviously.

I will be buying another one for my A4 TDI next week.

Cheaper filter elements ($9.95), less make-up oil 1 pint, smaller filter case, easy installatation, 1 micron filtering media.

DB

[This message has been edited by Drivbiwire (edited January 20, 2001).]

lifer

Veteran Member
My vote goes to oilguard . They are well made, compact and easy to service . The filter elements are less than 1/2 the price of the amsoil. I have 3 of them on my equip.
That said if space were not a problem i would seriously look at the gulfcoast filter.
One note: the filter change intervol of the oilguard on a tdi needs to be tested by oil analisis yet .I think the 20000 talked about in other threads might be a bit long . I am going to be checking mine at 10000 ,15000 and 20000 so that i am comfortable.

[This message has been edited by lifer (edited January 20, 2001).]

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
I have not seen or used a Amsoil bypass. Actually I have not seen or used a OilGuard either. From my research on both I am going with the OilGuard. Reasons are space confinement and cost of filter media and filter unit. If you order Oilguard today...You will not only recieve 50% off due to a moving sale but I thought they said they would send you a free Ginsu knife set with a matching clap on clap off knife sharpener?

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
I've had AMSOIL's single bypass filtration system for 27,000 miles now and am very pleased with it, as it helps to keep my oil analytically clean with outstanding oil analysises.

Basically, I'm tickled pink that folks have caught on to the principle behind the procedure of using a bypass filtration device to keep their oil cleaner than an OEM setup, just as they are now doing with an Oil Pan Heating device.

While I admit that I prefer the AMSOIL setup, I like any high-quality bypass system that gets the job done the right way.

------------------
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed: Silver & Gray / Luxury & CWP, Monsoon & CD. Engine Modifications

Gary S

Veteran Member
Amsoil. Rules.
Turbo Steve Does Too!

------------------
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Heated Seats,Monsoon sound
Lux package
Upsolute, epsolution, ram air, Piper-Cross filter
Toronado Red

Heinz57

Veteran Member
Will try to order Oilguard system today - at 50% off its a steal.

------------------
2K Golf GL TDI
White/BLack
UPsolute Chip&Tuning box Descreened, K&N and rear fogs/euroswitch

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Unless they have some other means of contact ( other than a fax ) they can forget it from me. Someone mentioned " it this a moving sale or going out of business sale" Call me paranoid, but its seems kind of fishy that there is only a fax number.

------------------
95 Jetta TD,2.5" exhaust, Passat rims, Eagle Talon IC w/fan for now ...

Heinz57

Veteran Member
Contacted Oilguard and requested a phone# to contact the wharehouse/shipping center and was told they will contact me tomorrow.

------------------
2K Golf GL TDI
White/BLack
UPsolute Chip&Tuning box Descreened, K&N and rear fogs/euroswitch

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heinz57:
Contacted Oilguard and requested a phone# to contact the wharehouse/shipping center and was told they will contact me tomorrow.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please post a phone number that you may have had success with. I faxed an order on Sunday and have not heard from them. I'm not saying they'll rip me off, but I didn't like the fax thing, either. I'd like a little more warm-fuzzy...

------------------
Scott's Jetta TDI Page and TDIClub.com Stuff
98 Jetta TDI w/100k, 802-mi/55-mpg (best)

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I didn't really care to much for the fax thing either. But this appears to be a large Company with Government Contracts and Local Gorernments using there product.
But it was just too good a deal to pass on and it is on a credit card and you simply
protest the billing if they don't come thru.
I believe they are legit!

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Here's my 2 cents:

When a business moves, they keep their original phone #. If not for regular buisness, just to answer customer concerns. A 1-800 number can follow you wherever you go. That's the part I don't understand, is why its not in this case. Besides if they do deal with the goverment, do you think the goverment faxes them an order ?? Not likely. I'll wait a bit more and see what happens.

------------------
95 Jetta TD,2.5" exhaust, Passat rims, Eagle Talon IC w/fan for now ...

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
I went ahead and ordered the oil guard. The size is desirable, as it requires less oil waste, and the filter media is less, too. Sent my order in today. I'm with Tomo on this. If they don't come through, I always have the CC system on my side.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

For those of you that are reluctant to fax your orders in (I didn't like the e-mail idea, either), fear not!
I faxed my order up last Sunday and, to my surprise, the UPS guy dropped it off today. Total sale price for one EPS-10 and two EPS-10F(s) was $101.95 shipped.

Me thinks I'll be tinkering in the garage this weekend.

gary83687

TDI
Silver Y2K Golf TDI 2DR AT
I run the Oilguard EPS-10 on my 2000 Golf TDI. I like it for the size, appearance and cost of replacement elements.

On my 1996 Chevy 4x4 turbo-diesel pickup, I run the Amsoil dual remote with a thread adapter from Kennedy Diesel that allows a Baldwin bypass filter element to be used instead of the Amsoil bypass element. The Baldwin element is about $15 cheaper than the Amsoil element and filters just as well. The factory oil filter location on this truck is almost impossible to get to for service, so relocating it was necessary. The dual remote worked out well for this application.

Bottom line, use the unit that best fits your application and suits your needs. Don’t worry about who makes it.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
Well I prefer and use the Amsoil in my 99 NB. Something to remember here. No phone number to contact them buy and you are buying them for half price. 99% of the time you get what you pay for and it would not surprise me if you could not contact them at all in 6 months. But to each his own. Also I see these are $130, you can buy and Amsoil system for that. The filter is half the price but it is 1/3 the size of the Amsoil BE-90. But I guess that someone thinks they are saving money. I think that I have seen on this forum that the oil guard does not do as good a job of filtering either. But its cheap and smaller so go for it.
Greg

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The Amsoil system has proven to reduce soot by 40%-50% ...to date I've not seen any oil analysis that shows the OilGard system is effective in removing soot at all. The oilgard filter elements are less expensive, but they are physically much smaller, so they will have to be changed more frequently. The amsoil system also increases your effective sump capacity by 1.0-1.5 qts, depending in the filter element you use. If you are looking to run extended change intervals, this helps quite a bit.

Both systems do a good job at reducing wear rates.

TooSlick