CHEAP OBD2 Scanner for A4?

rallywagon

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta, '00 Jetta
My son is heading to college, and I would like to send a cheap code scanner with him. I have a couple of basic Chinese units that work with my Mk3, but they will not communicate with his 2000 Jetta TDI.

Could any of you recommend a cheapo scanner that you know would work?

I have VCDS at home, but I want him to have something in his trunk to check codes when he is out and about.

THANKS

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Any of the cheap plug in scanners should be able to read the generic codes mandated by the government. But they won't read all of the codes that VCDS will. Why not just send him the cable if/when needed and he can return it when done. Not like you need it all the time. Set his laptop up with the software first and show him how to use it.

rallywagon

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta, '00 Jetta
Thanks for the reply. I have 3 cheapos that all work with my 1998 Jetta and our other cars, but none will work with the 2000. VCDS works fine with both. I anticipate a midnight call....my car won't run....I think if he can give me a code, it might useful in the moment.

stefhelm

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I've had good luck with the cheap blue bluetooth ones you find on Amazon. It will connect to my 2005 Passat and my 2014 Allroad, but on the Allroad, it is limited to the codes it will pull. I ended up getting an ODBEleven as well as that does most everything my VCDS will do. I also have a VCDS cable, but it is old and no good for anything CAN-BUS.

I use the Torque app on my phone to connect to the bluetooth scanner

rallywagon

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta, '00 Jetta
Thanks for that info, Stefhelm. I actually have a cheap Foseal bluetooth adapter that I have not even tried.