Need help diagnosing a front end clunk.

The_Smackdown

TDI
Golf mkIV PD
I have a 04 Golf and started getting a clunking noise out of the driverside front.

I can get to make noise if I grab the top of the left front wheel and pull on it. It's also making groaning noise when I turn at slow speeds. Like backing out of a parking spot.

CV? Control arm bushings? Tie rod ends?

I did the wheel bearing on that side in Nov of last year.

Thanks in advance.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Groaning usually means strut top bearings to me. Sometimes the clunking too is the mount. Replace it al lat one time. I even put in the VW available spacer.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Groaning noises at slow speeds: Is the power steering fluid topped up?

When do you get the front end clunking? Bumps? Turns only? Lower control arm rear bushing OK? Roll bar bushings OK?

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
How many miles?

Usually a "rubber refresh" is due.

Strut mounts and bearings (spacer if you like), sway bar bushings. I'd say often before 100k. I seem to need sway bar bushings every 60k.

LCA bushings (rear bushing goes first) can also go usually after 100k it seems and that clunk will come from low in the wheel well. Sometimes you can see the rubber seperating in tat rear LCA bushing. I just did all this stuff(had alreadydone everything but LCA bushings) at 185k including tie rod ends and ball joints then got a new alignment.

If clunking in the rear and over 100k likely rear axle beam bushings.

The_Smackdown

TDI
Golf mkIV PD
How many miles?

Usually a "rubber refresh" is due.

Strut mounts and bearings (spacer if you like), sway bar bushings. I'd say often before 100k. I seem to need sway bar bushings every 60k.

LCA bushings (rear bushing goes first) can also go usually after 100k it seems and that clunk will come from low in the wheel well. Sometimes you can see the rubber seperating in tat rear LCA bushing. I just did all this stuff(had alreadydone everything but LCA bushings) at 185k including tie rod ends and ball joints then got a new alignment.

If clunking in the rear and over 100k likely rear axle beam bushings.
It's been about 70k since the front end was redone. At the time I know they did springs, dampers and at least LCA bushings. I did slightly upgrade the dampers and springs at the time so have been driving a bit more aggressively in turns, so I'm guessing it's time.

I was looking on ECSTuning at some of their "refresh" kits. Will probably just do something like that.

The_Smackdown

TDI
Golf mkIV PD
Groaning noises at slow speeds: Is the power steering fluid topped up?

When do you get the front end clunking? Bumps? Turns only? Lower control arm rear bushing OK? Roll bar bushings OK?
Good call on the power steering fluid. Low. Didn't think about it because of the clunking.