Minneapolis/St. Paul GTG in April or May

karlkoenig

Veteran Member
Hey, we had a great GTG in January. How anbout doing it again? Let's get more guys, (and gals!), chipped! I'd also like to see garretp's MFA cluster mod!

Karl

GANZGUT

Veteran Member
Karl:

After attending GarrettP's November GTG in WI, I think that's a GTG I will have to budget time for. Last MSP one wasn't so convenient for me to attend schedule-wise. Keep me posted.

Dubbs

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,96,Blue
I think that is a very good idea. I missed the last one because of previous arrangements that I could not get out of. It would be nice to hand with fellow dubbers.

Dan

karlkoenig

Veteran Member
Do we need to post this on 101 to get some visibility? One thing I'd like to do is get a bunch of people together who want to do the cluster upgrade Garrett and others did!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I like this idea, as I need to have my 2002 Golf TDI Upsoluted. Barely got to have fun with my Upsolute car before I totalled it.

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
Karl there is no chipping in my future however if there is a GTG keep us updated if there is any way to make it count me in.

samsaTDI

I just missed the last GTG as well. I would love to be a part of another GTG in the MPLS area! I'm not zure if I could Upsolute right now, but I would love to meet some of the local TDI'ers and get some more info. Count me in!!! :)

Joelk

I'm brand new to TDICLUB so pardon me if this is not the best forum to post this Q in. I am still learning my way around. But it looks like some Mpls area folks are hanging around...

I have heard from friends that the two main VW dealers in the Twin Cities area really stink big-time as far as service goes. This is something that affects whether I buy a TDI Golf in the fall, which I want to do.

Any thoughts, comments on the various dealer choices? Thanks!

MNgasBurner

Run as fast as you can from Schmelts... West Side I like, but logistically they aren't great... good work, but a long wait. That's as far as I've driven... I'm on the opposite side of the planet from Burnsville.

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
If the darn snow melts by then, and its on one of my weekends off, I would sure like to take a trip up north.
I have a friend that lives up there that I would like to visit and pick up some stuff he has been
keeping for me.

I will keep watching this thread!

Drive ON!

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I know one guy here in The Cities who missed the last GTG who's real interested in getting his Jetta chipped. I'm still on the fence, but I'd like to come anyway. Let me know.

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
Originally posted by MNgasBurner:

That's as far as I've driven... I'm on the opposite side of the planet from Burnsville.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">plus he has to fill up a few times
gasser

LagoonBlueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6sp
Yeah, I'd attend, schedule permitting.

Had a great time at the last GTG in Jan!

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
The weather has been very unpleasant can we wait till May is that are allright with everyone else. The lake is still frozen and I cant wait for warmer weather.

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
I have a three stall garage and will be williing to open the doors. Chisago City is 40 miles north of Downtown St. Paul on Hwy 8 one of the tightest highways in the state but once your here its a nice place to be.

GANZGUT

Veteran Member
Bookworm:

May sounds good, excellent in fact, barring May 3,4,& 5th. I agree that things ought to be a little warmer before we work on cars. Car work below 40 degrees tends to be rather unpleasant.

My 1996 Passat is chipped (great for passing, BTW) via GarrettP but otherwise is stock. At nearly 120K, I am however going to need a few other services though this spring:

Timing belt/tensioner
Fuel filter change
Summer rubber
New struts
Rear brake pad & wheel bearing replacement

Perhaps we can get someone with a VAG com and TB tools to show up and impart TB replacement knowledge. (I'll be a guinea pig, since the service needs doing on my car.) Maybe, if we're exceptionally nice, we can convince Drivbiwire to come up for this one with GarrettP. (This guy's knowledge and dedication is simply incredible.)

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
Ganzgut lets keep this interest going, my selection of VW tools is zero, oil changes are my extent of maintenance, but the ramps that are in the garage are guaranteed to work for a Corvette, one of the lowest profile cars on the road.

MNgasBurner

If we are leaning for May then Upsolute is avaliable for May 18 or 19. It's a busy month, with alot of out of town time.

If you all are jones-ing for some dub time... come out to the track with AARRF for Hot Laps for $40, up in St. Cloud... cheapest track time you'll get.

So how does the 18th or 19th sound... and who's hosting???

MN AARRF Hot Laps

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
The 18th and 19th are good for me lets have some more confirmations, or I think that those dates will work, good idea for the track time.

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
The track time is cetainly a good idea. I will be in and out in April for the first two weeks so if we can make some definite plans this will help all of us. Lets get this show on the road.

GANZGUT

Veteran Member
Originally posted by Bookworm:
The 18th and 19th are good for me lets have some more confirmations, or I think that those dates will work, good idea for the track time.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">At this point, the 18th and 19th of May look fine. Can't say I'm sold on the track idea since it's not my style, but that sounds interesting. Perhaps there are a few people who need TB changes or other spring maintenance work done. I remember Drivbiwire making a trip out from Chicago to the Denver area to do a few TB's (for remuneration, of course) so perhaps we can persuade him to make the drive to Minnesota. It would be great to have the job done by one who knows what they are doing. Or at a minimum, have the tools to do same.

TDavId

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI - Reflex Silver
Just got my Jetta TDI two days ago- all stock for now. I'm all for a Mpls/St. Paul GTG! May 18,19 works for me- barring any unplanned work travel. I'm interested in seeing a CCV-modded car but I still need more info on getting Upsoluted before I make that jump. Hopefully my 1.9 won't be too carbed up by then. Great to see local TDI'ers are stoked about their machines... I'll keep an eye on this thread.

TDavId

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI - Reflex Silver
I have our Mpls TDI GTG on May 18-19 inked in on my calendar- I'll be there as long as I'm not on some remote job somewhere. Karl, thanks for hosting and the food/donation thing is a great idea.

-TDavId

GANZGUT

Veteran Member
Karl:

I'll pencil in that weekend, but the weather up here in Bemidji and down there does not inspire confidence.
I'm headed out after work to go cross country skiing. . .
Lest us know what is needed.

danmiddle

I'll certainly try and stop by if there's a GTG. Though we A3 folks are usually under-represented at these functions!
Daniel M
'97 White TDI Jetta- Upsoluted

[ April 07, 2002, 10:58: Message edited by: danmiddle ]