VW counting on new cleaner diesels

Vipervnm

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 1
So, 36mpg city/ 45mpg highway once converted. Is that relevant to the EPA's rating system? If so, that sounds pretty good to me.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Some harder figures than we have seen MPG wise. A bit high from what I have read in the European versions.

As the Jetta is about the same as the previous Passat, I am guessing more like 32 city and 42 highway.

kvndoom

TDI
Golf, 2004, black
Give me a 5-speed TDI Rabbit, dammit! VW wouldn't be able to keep those on the lot if they brought them over. I can't wait to test drive one of those new engines. Been thinking hard about a 4-door GTI, I just love hatchbacks so much. But an announcement of a TDI Rabbit would change everything.

diezlpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf tdi
Acura diesel? i heard rumors of the honda Accord, but nothing from Acura. an RDX diesel or MDX would be nice

seftonm

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
It could also be the TSX. The TSX is almost the same thing as the European Accord, which is already available with a diesel engine.

chewy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
kvndoom said:
Give me a 5-speed TDI Rabbit, dammit! VW wouldn't be able to keep those on the lot if they brought them over. I can't wait to test drive one of those new engines. Been thinking hard about a 4-door GTI, I just love hatchbacks so much. But an announcement of a TDI Rabbit would change everything.
Not really as VW sells 4 Jettas per 1 Rabbit. The Golf (Rabbit) is about to switch no a new generation so it makes sense that there won't be an MKV Rabbit TDI in the US.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
The Touareg TDI won't hit Canadian streets until next year, but the 2009 Jetta TDI sedan and wagon will go on sale in a few months.
So y'all up north will have the new diesels long before us here in the States :confused:

kasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat TDI spd manual
I went to our local dealer yesterday on another matter and happened to chat with the owner...I asked about the 09's...It was a "good news/bad news" answer that I got. The price was going to less than $26,000 Cdn for a manual Jetta but they wouldn't have them in until October. A demo car was going to be available in April as a teaser.

All good things come to those who wait.

Ted

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
diezlpwr said:
Acura diesel? i heard rumors of the honda Accord, but nothing from Acura. an RDX diesel or MDX would be nice
I posted this link from AutoWeek early this week but it never showed up in the forum. In the US, Acura will get the diesel first, then Honda. Interesting that Honda Motor Co. will offer a 4 cyl diesel next year to be followed by a V6 diesel in 2010 for the TL and MDX. They sound pretty serious about diesels being a significant part of their engine mix.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080121/FREE/866337646/1057

I love your signature Ted. As a pilot about to turn 40 I hope it's not true :)

Last edited:

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
"The Jetta won't be the only Volkswagen wearing the coveted TDI badge. In early 2009, the VW Touareg V6 TDI SUV joins the lineup. It will be powered by a 3.0-litre V-6 TDI, which delivers 220 horsepower and 405 lb-ft of torque."

I hope this is the engine that'll be available in the coming Passat CC. I read in the Detroit Auto Show coverage the new coupe will be available with a V6 diesel eventually.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I still WISH that VWOA would bring in the Touran, which is a minivan on a Golf platform. I own one in South Africa, our second home. It beats the Passat (B5.5V TDI) wagon, which I own in Kentucky, for room, practicality and fuel consumption. In 2004 form, it has a 1.9 litre TDI PD engine, 6-speed manual, and delivers 40 mpg hiway. I'm sure it would do even better with the new generation common rail TDI engines. I am sure it will carry more stuff more easily than the much-touted Jetta Sportwagon.

The Duke

I was at the NAIAS yesterday. In talking to the people at the VW area, the Jetta SportWagon will be available late March early April. The mileage quoted in the literature for the new diesel says mid 40's city, mid 50's highway.

2.0l 140hp 236lb/ft of torque (no mention of at what rpm) 16 valve SOHC

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
dieselyeti said:
I posted this link from AutoWeek early this week but it never showed up in the forum. In the US, Acura will get the diesel first, then Honda. Interesting that Honda Motor Co. will offer a 4 cyl diesel next year to be followed by a V6 diesel in 2010 for the TL and MDX. They sound pretty serious about diesels being a significant part of their engine mix.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080121/FREE/866337646/1057

I love your signature Ted. As a pilot about to turn 40 I hope it's not true :)
Not surprise Acura getting a diesel before Honda, especially the TSX, cause the TSX is the european Honda Accord and Honda has been selling euro Accord in form of diesel for a long time.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
vw diesels

While we would be very happy to see VW succeeding in its diesel vehicle sale stretegy, unfortunately, it has no diesel product to offer at present either as Jetta TDI or Rabbit TDI or Fox TDI or Dasher TDI or Quantum TDI or Passat TDI or Tourag TDI or Bug TDI or Turan TDI or Vanagon TDI or Eurovan TDI. I have been hearing for over a year that a diesel will be available in 2008. We are in 2008 yet none is available except publicy. By the time it may become available, VW may see other compititors such as Honda, BMW, Benz, etc, with diesels, hopefully inferior than the VW diesels.

dasher 1980

TDI
Jetta 04 GL
More diesels the merrier!

May they all be good n' stout vehicles so we peons in North America can have some bloody choices. Is that too much wishful thinking?
Personally, I hope we embrace the 4 cyl. diesel as the engine of choice...we don't need big hoggin' V8/V10 choices so much. Heck, most cab-over trucks like Isuzu, UD, Hino etc. are 4 Cyl....
Ah well, the fun begins soon.

Nico3d3

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2001
I heard that they won't adjust their price in Canada to reflect the increased value of the canadian dollar? That's a shame, almost every constructors are lowering their prices.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
So many promises; so few ACTIONS. I think VW should take a dive and offer not only the Jetta, but the Golf, Beetle, Passat, yet to be introduced Minivan, and then add the Polo, the Touran, and some sort of TRUCK to the mix. Make it happen or expect Honda et. al. to eat your lunch... and dinner too!

~BeetleGo

Last edited:

MR42HH

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 530d
dasher 1980 said:
Personally, I hope we embrace the 4 cyl. diesel as the engine of choice...
It boggles my mind why nobody seems to bother to offer something for people who want a step up from a Jetta diesel.
You can get a Bluetec E-Class - which is two steps up in size and three steps up in engine size - and soon a BMW 335d, one step up in size and a million steps up in engine performance, but also a million steps down in mileage.

BMW's best selling car in Germany is, at least I believe that, the 320 diesel. 0-60 in under 8 seconds, RWD and a 49 mpg rating just hit the sweet spot for many people here.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
MR42HH said:
It boggles my mind why nobody seems to bother to offer something for people who want a step up from a Jetta diesel.
You can get a Bluetec E-Class - which is two steps up in size and three steps up in engine size - and soon a BMW 335d, one step up in size and a million steps up in engine performance, but also a million steps down in mileage
VW's step-up diesel would be the Passat CC, which (I've recently read) will be available with a V6 TDI at some point. I'm guessing it'll be priced out in the mid to upper 30's which is almost 20k less than the E320 Bluetec. I'm not sure what the 335d will sell for, but that engine sounds like a monster.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
Diesel Losing PR Battle with Hybrids

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/01/survey-us-new-c.html#more

Survey: US New-Car Shoppers Do Not See Diesels as a Likely Mainstream Powertrain

28 January 2008

According to the latest Kelley Blue Book Marketing Research study, only six percent of new-car shoppers in the US think diesel is most likely to succeed in becoming a mainstream vehicle powertrain type, compared to 40% identifying hybrids, 20% picking hydrogen fuel cell vehicles and 17% citing flexible-fuel systems.

When asked about their perceptions of diesel engines, nearly half of in-market new-vehicle shoppers say they are dirty and noisy. In addition, the latest study shows that shoppers increasingly believe that diesel-powered vehicles get poorer fuel mileage than conventional gasoline engines, and fewer consumers are seeing diesels as fuel-efficient.

Interest in diesels is steadily declining among in-market new-vehicle shoppers, while interest in hybrids continues to grow. The gap between shoppers’ interest in diesels versus hybrids has greatly widened particularly in the last month, with the nine-point gap in December 2007 jumping to a 17-point gap in January 2008.
Many automakers are looking toward diesels as a very workable solution for the future, especially in light of the recently passed energy bill, but the results of this study should give them pause and make them realize they need to do a better, more thorough job of winning over the American consumer. Clearly many Americans still think of the dirty diesels of the past and are not aware of the benefits of new clean-diesel technology.
—Jack R. Nerad, executive editorial director and executive market analyst for Kelley Blue Book​
While diesel consideration and favorability are declining in the eyes of in-market new-vehicle shoppers, hybrids continue to gain favor. In addition to hybrids being seen as the most viable mainstream powertrain choice, interest in hybrids has steadily increased in recent months, with 61% of shoppers saying they are interested in hybrids in the latest study....

MR42HH

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 530d
dieselyeti said:
VW's step-up diesel would be the Passat CC, which (I've recently read) will be available with a V6 TDI at some point.
The V6 TDI doesn't fit in traverse-engined cars, so anything but the 2.0 TDI is impossible. They used to work on a VR6 TDI for the Passats, but that was axed some time ago.

V6 TDI would be two steps up from the Jetta anyway - there needs to be a high-end 4-cylinder option.

tiguando

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan (Hopefully)
wxman said:
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/01/survey-us-new-c.html#more

Survey: US New-Car Shoppers Do Not See Diesels as a Likely Mainstream Powertrain

28 January 2008

According to the latest Kelley Blue Book Marketing Research study, only six percent of new-car shoppers in the US think diesel is most likely to succeed in becoming a mainstream vehicle powertrain type, compared to 40% identifying hybrids, 20% picking hydrogen fuel cell vehicles and 17% citing flexible-fuel systems.

When asked about their perceptions of diesel engines, nearly half of in-market new-vehicle shoppers say they are dirty and noisy. In addition, the latest study shows that shoppers increasingly believe that diesel-powered vehicles get poorer fuel mileage than conventional gasoline engines, and fewer consumers are seeing diesels as fuel-efficient.

Interest in diesels is steadily declining among in-market new-vehicle shoppers, while interest in hybrids continues to grow. The gap between shoppers’ interest in diesels versus hybrids has greatly widened particularly in the last month, with the nine-point gap in December 2007 jumping to a 17-point gap in January 2008.
Many automakers are looking toward diesels as a very workable solution for the future, especially in light of the recently passed energy bill, but the results of this study should give them pause and make them realize they need to do a better, more thorough job of winning over the American consumer. Clearly many Americans still think of the dirty diesels of the past and are not aware of the benefits of new clean-diesel technology.
—Jack R. Nerad, executive editorial director and executive market analyst for Kelley Blue Book​
While diesel consideration and favorability are declining in the eyes of in-market new-vehicle shoppers, hybrids continue to gain favor. In addition to hybrids being seen as the most viable mainstream powertrain choice, interest in hybrids has steadily increased in recent months, with 61% of shoppers saying they are interested in hybrids in the latest study....
Survey: US New-Car Shoppers Proven to be Uneducated and Ignorant

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
wxman said:

True enough. Diesel will probably never make up a huge part of the market in NA to the point of being over 50% like some European countries. I think that the coming products in the 2010 time frame will indeed increase the diesel market above it's miniscule share that it has had in the near past. I'd be happy if I saw a 10% or 15% slice of the market to be diesel powered vehicles.

traderjim44

I was at jeep dealer last year and asked the salesman if they had any liberty diesels. He said they did have a couple for awhile. It took so long to sell the two they had that they didn't order any more.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
traderjim44 said:
I was at jeep dealer last year and asked the salesman if they had any liberty diesels. He said they did have a couple for awhile. It took so long to sell the two they had that they didn't order any more.
I would say that sounds like a regional sales variation. The Liberty CRD models sold out pretty quick everywhere else across the nation.

Tahna Los

TDI
None
Acura TSX diesel?

I drove an Acura TSX on loaner from a friend of mine (gasser of course). It was a fun vehicle to drive. But a TSX going diesel? That would be news to watch. Especially since I hear that there is going to be a six-speed DSG-type transmission going into the 2009 Acura TSX.

Let's see how many horses Honda puts into that puppy. The TSX may turn out to be expensive compared to the Jetta, but if I had the money, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
wxman said:
Not surprising, seeing as there's been no marketing for diesels at all in the US. If VW, Honda, BMW etc want to sell diesels here, they've got a lot of work to do educating a largely ignorant public.

bombero

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Another thing consumers just see is the high cost of diesel, 30cents over rug. That just seems too high, even for winter, given refinery cost v. unleaded gas.