"Engine Fault Workshop"

TDI
2004 GLS, 2009 TDI
So..I have an '09 TDI Jetta Sedan. No issues thus far. Just shy of 30K miles.

Yesterday, I came out after work to drive home I tried to start my engine. Glow plug lit up and went out as normal. When I turned the key, the engine turned over a couple of times and then stopped. The MFD then read "Engine Fault Workshop" and the glow plug light blinked a couple of times.

It did this a few more times and finally I got it started. Today it seems to be fine.

Anyone know what this is? Is it the dreaded HPFP issue?

gpshumway

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Unlikely to be the HPFP if it's running fine now. HPFP failures are terminal. Could be the intercooler water/ice buildup issue. See the "Cold Start/Scare" thread or the "Another Iced up Intercooler" thread.

Hayvern

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
2009 Engine Fault Workshop

Hello, I've had a problem starting my TDI since December 2010, have had it to the dealer on 4 different occasions and now in for 5th time. Won't start, seems like plenty of battery but engine doesn't see to be getting fuel. Cranks but won't fire, finally battery seems to drain almost to the point of being dead. Let car sit, repeat starting while pumping gas pedal and car starts, stalls and finally runs about a 30 minute process each time. Very last time at dealer (2/24/11) they Re pin mass air flow sensor and seemed to cure the problem, today (2/13/12) same problem, immediately returned to dealership, we'll see what they say. Each time the code on the display is "Engine Fault Workshop" yet dealers says their computer doesn't have such an error code and they don't know what causes it. Anyone know a cure?

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I think "Engine Fault Workshop" translated to German is Kaput! Were temps below freezing each time?

There are many reasons for crank but no start, but the only one I know that doesn't throw a code is iced intercooler. I suggest pulling the bottom IC hose and see how much pours out and may save yourself from a major engine repair. Don't expect your dealer to be wise to the ways of the TDI.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Sadly, there are SEVERAL threads going on at once. Impossible to keep all the info straight...

Time for a sticky re: Intercooler icing problems/no start

Hayvern

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
2009 Engine Fault Workshop

So I take my 09 TDI to the dealership today for the 5th time since Dec 2010 for the Engine Fault Workshop error and starting problem. Asst Svc Mgr calls back and acts as clueless as the last 4 times I took it in. I informed him I’ll be invoking the lemon law and calling VW next and I inform him to Google 09 TDI EFW code and read the volumes about the problem on the internet. Within an hour I get a call back saying the dealership will be replacing my Intercooler and vacuum pump. I had a small oil leak also previously reported and VP seal was replaced which didn’t solve anything. Both the Intercooler and Vacuum pump and all labor will be covered under the warranty even though I currently have 78,000 miles on the vehicle. It really pays to do your research!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Ya, really. I suggest that if you want to go through life oblivious, than a a Dub really isn't for you. I think that if Toyota ever made a Diesel Corolla, I would be there. Could you imagine a car that's a Diesel and an appliance?