Trouble shooting 00550 code and cutting out power

wbx

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Hello everyone,

Within the last week, our '98 jetta has developed an intermittant problem with losing power while going up hills and cutting out (as if going into limp then back to full power many times rapidly). On the flats, if you stay light on the throttle, you can maintain 70mph, but any more than throttle than that, it starts cutting out again.

Fault code:
00550 - Start of Injection Regulation

Things i've checked:
N-108 resistance is 16.3 ohms (in spec)
G-80 resistance is 83.6 ohms (in spec)

Basic settings measuring blocks:
043 ~048 000 009 101 204 075 142 164 ~140
(glow plug light comes on when in basic settings). Timing graph shows timing about 1/3 of the way above the middle line.

MAF specified: 250
MAF actual: ~465

Things that are new/replaced recently include the TB (replaced it myself about 5k miles ago), all the vacuum hoses (except the blue one and one in ECU). We are running B99, and it has been cold, so gelling could be an issue.

I am ordering a couple fuel filters, but want to know if there are other things i should check in the mean time. I'm hoping that the fuel filter will solve the problem as it does seem to be a load related problem (the problem gets worse on extended climbs, and temporarily goes away after a long downhill run).

Are there any more suggestions? Are there obvious things in Vag-Com that will help point to the answer (i'm still trying to figure out that wonderful tool).

Thanks,
-Damon

dhbiker1

I have a 98 jetta that the exact same problem which started on saturday driving uphill on the highway. The past week it has been very hard to start (4 time approx.) which i figured was more of the cold. Today I checked the timing and I am in the upper half of the curve. I also have noticed alot more smoke during startup and today when i left for UConn it was smoking more while driving (a little lighter in color than normal black smoke) so I went home and switched cars. Seems to me that we have the same exact problem and for me, searching on here has not lead me in any specific direction.

dhbiker1

Hi, thanks for the input but i'm a bit confused. Could you please be a little more specific about what connector to clean and where it is located.

wbx

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
fivestringcooper said:
Hi Guys, Take the connector apart in the (3 prong) and apply a little noalox. that might help some. Fivestringcooper
I've removed and installed the connector on the MAF a few times trying to make sure it is clean, but no noalox (dialectric grease?) was applied. I'm assuming you mean the cold start valve?

-Damon

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
The MAF on a 98 Jetta is rather robust, but testing it is the same as with the A4's - put the pedal to the metal from 2K to 4K in 2nd, 3rd and, if legal, 4th gears and plot requested/actual. Actual should shoot to over 1000 for a brief time. I'd bet the MAF is OK - but do a run and report back.

Start of injection regulation? No idea of what that could be.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
FYI:

The delta between the specified and actual most often occurs at idle when the EGR is disabled or is non-functional. The EGR feed occurs after the MAF and since the ECM is commanding a certain amount of EGR it's subtracting that volume from what the MAF should be reading. If the EGR is disabled, that volume that would have been coming from the EGR is now being drawn past the MAF, hence the higher reading.

As to the issue:

Do you have any DTC's other DTC's?
What's the injector balance on measuring group 13 displaying? Official spec is +-2.0 mg/h but .5 should be more like it. If it's higher than that I would plan on some injector nozzles or have them sent out for adjustment if they're recent. Imagine how much work the pump/QA adjuster assemly has to do each revolution to make that correction for each cylinder.
Also, get some D2 in there and run it for a bit before condeming anything...

Last edited:

dhbiker1

I cleaned the battery terminals, and sprayed electrical cleaner as close as I could get on and around the connector going into the injector pump. I have cold started it twice and it has started right up with no codes, but definitely still with smoke. Group 13 displayed numbers around .75 ish for cyl 1,2,3 and there was nothing displaying in cyl 4. Could this be a possible problem? I'll try again in the cold tomorrow and see what happens, but i really need to take it on the highway to see if it cuts out again just like was happening to wbx above. thanks

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
You are actually comparing cylanders 1,2 and 4 agains 3. It is normal to only have 3 readings.

wbx

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
jollyGreenGiant said:
Do you have any DTC's other DTC's?
What's the injector balance on measuring group 13 displaying? Official spec is +-2.0 mg/h but .5 should be more like it. If it's higher than that I would plan on some injector nozzles or have them sent out for adjustment if they're recent. Imagine how much work the pump/QA adjuster assemly has to do each revolution to make that correction for each cylinder.
Also, get some D2 in there and run it for a bit before condeming anything...
I'm assuming this can be done cold, right?

Also, I can't really do any data logging of the MAF because my laptop has a bum battery and i don't have a car adapter (not that the cigarette lighter has any power to it anyway :rolleyes:).

Thanks for all the suggestions.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
The coolant and fuel should both be up to temp when checking the group 13 fields. I would also think about logging boost specified vs. actual. Get a power adapter, you're really going to need it to get to the bottom of this...

wbx

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
jollyGreenGiant said:
Get a power adapter, you're really going to need it to get to the bottom of this...
I was actually just looking into that power adapter... I guess i'll be posting about the cigarette lighter next :eek:

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
If I remember there is a super secret not in the Bentley fuse on top of the fuse box that is the most common failure with cigarette adapters in A3's.

I used to replace them with a minifuse auto-reset breaker...

wbx

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Update

Changing the filter did the trick. At least i'm pretty sure. The same loop that exhibited the driving symptoms before were driven lickety-split with noticeably more "pep". The old filter was clogged with algae from the bioD "cleaning out the tank".

Since my wife and I are pretty into the alternative fuel thing, i'll be posting a question in the bioD forum about this.

Thanks, and i'll also be looking into that top secret fuse box :).

-Damon

tphollomon

TDI
1998 beetle
code 00550

fivestringcooper said:
Hi Guys, Take the connector apart in the (3 prong) and apply a little noalox. that might help some. Fivestringcooper
My1998 beetle TDI has lost some power, codes 00550 (commencement of injection regulation) and code 00575 (intake manifold pressure control difference) both"sporadic". Dealer #66 in Macon, GA said it needs a new injection pump...I don't think so, my filter needs changing and I will bet that does it. By the way my filter has a built in "T" fitting where the stock filter has the removable "T valve". What gives with this?

tphollomon (aka Flatheadgrenada)

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Start a new thread.

And tell that bonehead in Macon to ... well, on second thought he might enjoy it too much!

Did you buy this car used?

tphollomon

TDI
1998 beetle
code 00550

The dealers are, on the whole totally full of "it" and ready to take unsuspecting folk of thousands of $. I did buy used from college girl who had AC trouble. Comp was dead because fan was dead, I fixed that and have very little in car at this point. I also replaced MAF, cleaned intake and repaired both headlamp assys with JB weld inside. Put 19K on it and it is great, 46MPG. Then air shut off valve stuck and mighty-vac showed bad EGR diaphram so I replaced EGR/air valve assy and all is well. That is when the 00550 started and the pep is down some. Filter draining was clear but probably impaired. Mid 1999 style fuel filter was on car without the white valve assy. I may put the original style back on.

Thanks for the note.
Flatheadgrenada

tphollomon

TDI
1998 beetle
Weedeater:
Believe you are right on filter. One parts site shows the type I have on mid-99 and on beetle ALHs. I am still going to get the original type although they are 25% more $.

Best wishes'
tp

tphollomon

TDI
1998 beetle
troubleshooting code 00550 and code 00575

The fuel filter replacement did not seem to improve mileage or pep and the malfunction light is still on with codes 00550 and 00575 after several trips. Any help on how to proceed to isolate this issue would be appreciated. I have to get the VAG-COM software and a lap-top soon! Many thanks to all here. :confused:
T.P.

tphollomon

TDI
1998 beetle
Any advice from the senior deacons here on the correct way to proceed to isolate the code 00550 and code 00575 issues with my "98 ALH beetle? I do not have access to vag-com and wonder is there a decision logic tree that would help me isolate this nagging loss of power problem. Will try anything for power!
tphollomon

tphollomon

TDI
1998 beetle
loss of power code 05500 solved

My problem is solved! Both codes related to 05500 cleared and all drivability issues are gone. Full power restored and mileage back near 50MPG. There was leakage at the gasket where the exhaust tube feeds the EGR valve. In my case it was the soot on and near the area that gave me the clue. I removed the tube and replaced the gaskets with heatproof homeade gaskets from material purchased at Ace Hardware for $4. Hint: use 1/4" drive 6mm hex drive to fit in tight space and the job is easy. Dealer said it needed new injection pump...blah, blah, blah.
T.P. Hollomon

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
This is what i have down for these two codes....

Fault code 00550 fault location = start of injection-control....
" " " Probable cause = Wiring , fuel injection timing solenoid , injector needle lift sensor , air in fuel system , fuel level low , pump timing.

Fault code 00575 fault location = intake manifold pressure......
" " " Probable cause = intake leak / blockage , maf sensor , map sensor , tc waste-gate actuator / regulation valve , injector(s) excessive fuel in engine oil.