Boost Pressure Sensor Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

aai2on

TDI
2006 Jetta
Does anyone have a diagram that can indicate where the boost pressure sensor is on the 2006 Jetta TDI engine?

If needed, I can post a picture.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Isn't it down the bottom of the boost pipe that goes from the intercooler to the inlet manifold? If not they're usually on that pipe somewhere on most tdi's.:)

aai2on

TDI
2006 Jetta
Wow, that will be totally easy to replace. VW dealership wanted over $300 to replace it.

In case anyone wonders what the symptoms are, when accelerating, the vehicle would feel like it was losing power. Could be the limbo thing, but it quickly goes away once you start accelerating. I will try cleaning it first then order a replacement.

Thanks

aai2on

TDI
2006 Jetta
Well.... That is what the dealers mechanic said it was

Well.... That is what the dealers mechanic said it was.

So, hopefully that is the issue.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
What are the odds they correct:rolleyes::rolleyes:

aai2on

TDI
2006 Jetta
That is why I am going to pull it and check to see if it is dirty. New Mexico is pretty dusty this time of year.

Do you have any experience with this sensor and what a dirt/failure might act like?

Is there a way to test the boost pressure sensor?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well.... That is what the dealers mechanic said it was.

So, hopefully that is the issue.
LOL... OK, so we really have no idea what is wrong then.

What are the symtoms of the engine's operation? Are there any DTCs stored?

aai2on

TDI
2006 Jetta
My mechanic said there were no codes. He said to take it to the dealer. Dealer did the diagnostics (hopefully ;) ) on it and said it was the Boost Pressure Sensor. If it still doesn't work, I will have my mechanic take another shot at it.

oilhammer

TDI
OK, please stop right now. You are getting ready to take a shot gun approach to something, and you still have not answered a simple question: what symptom does your car have right now? All we know so far is the typical he-said/she-said nonsense. We can help you, you just have to help us help you.

aai2on

TDI
2006 Jetta
If you go back to my post at 1:48PM I said:

In case anyone wonders what the symptoms are:, when accelerating, the vehicle would feel like it was losing power. Could be the limbo thing, but it quickly goes away once you start accelerating. I will try cleaning it first then order a replacement.
--------------

Additional information: The symptom lasts for just a few seconds and then it is fine. It occurs within the first few minutes or driving. Low power (seems bogged down) then the issue clears and drives with full power. My mechanic buddy says the turbo surges. To me it feels more like it bogs down.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
You can test everything relevant with VCDS using run-up tests and basic settings mode. You should also test the vane actuator with a vacuum pump while visually watching it as well as having a helper watch VCDS for the reported position.

The MAP sender is solid state and is not affected by dirt, oil, etc. The only thing that can go wrong with it is if the transducer itself goes bad due to a defect.

oilhammer

TDI
Correct, you need to see what the MAP sensor is actually reading before you proceed to throw expensive parts at the car. That was what I was getting at. Sorry, did not notice your post before :eek:.

I have replaced a couple of these sensors, and the symptoms were NO power (at all), because the ECU places the engine in limp mode right away if it cannot see the MAP values, and they always had a DTC set.

Chances are you do not need a MAP sensor, like 99%. Cleaning it won't do anything, it is already always covered in oily mist anyways.

Grab an appropriate scan tool, and drive the car and monitor actual and requested boost... you'll know right away if the MAP is doing its job.

aai2on

TDI
2006 Jetta
Update - Wasn't the boost pressure sensor

VW Dealership thought it was the boost pressure sensor. NOPE

Currently the vehicle is experiencing lag on acceleration then cuts out until you give it more acceleration. Then it will get going. I put in a new air filter and cleaned the MAF. Slightly better at first, but the problem seems to be getting worse. We are noticing that during driving, you can feel the vehicle with small lags but continues driving.

Latest development. Car seems to have gone into limp mode. Would only do about 15mph. We took it to a good friend (mechanic) He says the throttle position sensor is reading high all of the time. He isn't getting much for reading, etc. I really don't want to take it back to dealership. They are total idiots (Las Cruces, NM :mad:) My wife loves her car and needs it fixed. (Note: I know very little mechanic wise)

Any help is appreciated.

oilhammer

TDI
.... [smart guy stuff] ....

Chances are you do not need a MAP sensor, like 99%. ....[more smart guy ramblings]....

Grab an appropriate scan tool, and drive the car and monitor actual and requested boost... you'll know right away if the MAP is doing its job.
I think this guy has a good suggestion. :p

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Why is it when you give people advice, they ignore it, waste more money on parts, and then ask for more advice?

I don't get it.

aai2on

TDI
2006 Jetta
Still not getting any codes out of the engine. Going to try the cage mod and see if there is any change in performance.

aai2on

TDI
2006 Jetta
oilhammer - I didn't ignore what you recommended doing. My mechanic and his $10K scanner isn't getting any error codes. He is running it in generic mode as he doesn't have VW unlocked I asked him again about the MAP codes and he said he would try it again. I specifically asked him to check the requested versus actual boost readings. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Should I just go buy the vag-com for my car and do it myself? We tried the new diag at the chevy dealer, but didn't get anything new (1.5 hrs x $75 to my mechanic) Not sure why he hasn't or how much it would cost to unlock the VW codes to his system...

oilhammer

TDI
Just because there are no DTCs, doesn't mean there could not be some issue, nor does it mean there is no useful data to be garnered from a proper scan tool.

I'd be willing to be VCDS can do more than his $10k scan tool on your Volkswagen.

aai2on

TDI
2006 Jetta

I don't know if this provides the information we're looking for. This was a quick try. Used 003, 011, and 115.

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
IIRC, it is a 5 volt variable resistor. It COULD be tested outside IF you had a bench power supply, knew the connections and measured the output based on the pressure applied.

I've done this on GM MAP sensors. Used a PC power supply for the 5 volt source.

The VAG charge pressure sensor is similar, a 3 pin sensor which is a variable voltage "ladder". Meaning the voltage at terminal 2 is dependent on the pressure.

Since it measures the pressure over atmospheric, there is a vent on the outside. If this vent is clogged, there will be issues.

Last edited:

AndyUpNorth

TDI
06 Jetta GLS TDI
Currently the vehicle is experiencing lag on acceleration then cuts out until you give it more acceleration. Then it will get going. I put in a new air filter and cleaned the MAF. Slightly better at first, but the problem seems to be getting worse. We are noticing that during driving, you can feel the vehicle with small lags but continues driving.

Sounds like the Typical PD Lag that everyone seems to have and spends months of their lives trying to figure out. All while never accomplishing anything. It feels like it builds boost, a "valve" opens and the boost drops but the power takes off, and then it begins to build boost up again, in a smooth fashion. It even looks that way on a Boost Gauge.

Some seem to like to put zip ties on them, and it reduces it, but that's a band-aid at best. While thinking about all the theories that have flown around on here, I think it is better while cool, and worse while hot hot.

aai2on

TDI
2006 Jetta
Was the zip tie thing one of the hacks? At this point I am willing to try anything to get it to run better. The wife hates it, and when you take off, it seems to bog down. Driving in manual shift mode resolves the issues (into 2nd and 3rd gear)

aai2on

TDI
2006 Jetta
You can test everything relevant with VCDS using run-up tests and basic settings mode. You should also test the vane actuator with a vacuum pump while visually watching it as well as having a helper watch VCDS for the reported position.

The MAP sender is solid state and is not affected by dirt, oil, etc. The only thing that can go wrong with it is if the transducer itself goes bad due to a defect.
I almost hate to ask, but where is the vane actuator located on a 2006 Jetta TDI? There is a component on top of the turbo that looks similar, but I don't see anyway of testing it without removing it.

There are other articles that seem to indicate you can see it from under the car... (I have the VCDS if you can tell me which is the appropriate test code to use)

AndyUpNorth

TDI
06 Jetta GLS TDI
I'm sure if you search zip tie mod in the a5 forum, you'll find all the info you need, if that is what your talking about.

Below is my interpretation of whats going on.

It essentially slows down the building of boost, and it seems the computer has more time to reduce the boost spike and add fueling. Once your past that spike the vnt vanes aren't trying to build boost so rapidly and can easier and more smoothly make minor adjustments to the amount of boost requested vs actual. On full throttle and most in between the turbo is not trying to make maximum boost, its trying to hold at a certain pressure. If it were to continue trying at maximum vane angles, it would seriously overboost. The zip tie seems to stop it from initially building so much boost, thus getting you past that lag... now why the computer initially wants so much boost without the fuel, I'm not sure.

I've had that lag for a long long time, but it doesnt bother me much at all. I've stared at the boost gauge and played with it for more time than I ever should have. That is the conclusion I have come up with.

Best way I can figure of getting rid of it, is a bigger turbo ! Haha ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.