Traction Control

purduepilot

TDI
2000 Jetta Black
I can't believe I don't know the answer to this...

Do the manual transmission VW's have traction control? Cars with an automatic transmission and traction control can prevent the wheels from spinning by varing power sent to the wheels and/or applying the brakes. But we, the driver, have complete control over power sent to the wheels by manipulating the clutch and throttle. Is it even possible to find a car with a manual transmission and traction control?

I just found myself in the middle of freezing rain last night here in Indiana, and I did a lot of slipping and sliding! Just curious if traction control was even an option on my Jetta w/ the 5 speed. Thanks guys!

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Not as standard.ESP (which includes ASR;EDL) was an option on some of the later 03-04 TDIs i believe. ASR/EDL can be reto fitted with wreaking yard parts. Do a search down on upgrades non TDI related.( Traction control

Diadora

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS - Silver - TDI Of Course
I have the ESP option on my 5 Speed Golf and love it... I have done quite a bit of driving in the snow, rain, freezing rain and all that other stuff we get in Montreal and ESP (which incorporates ASR (Trac Ctrl) and ABS) works great in our weather.... Even if you start from a stand still in First, the ESP will kick in and only let the slipping wheel(s) trun only enough to get moving and that is it... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

In short, best $430 CDN I spent in a long time.... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

dasnamen

TDI
2003 Jetta Reflex Silver
If you have a 2003 Jetta 5-speed GLS, it was an option available to you called electronic stabilization program. I have it but it hasn't kicked in just yet. Where at in Hoosier-land are you?

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
[ QUOTE ]
But we, the driver, have complete control over power sent to the wheels by manipulating the clutch and throttle.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is your source of confusion! You DON'T have complete control over the throttle. In the TDI (maybe gassers too?) the "throttle" is electronically controlled. There is no throttle cable or any physical linkage to the injection pump. Thus, if you have ASR or ESP, the computer can regulate the power (and lower it) to help prevent slipping wheels, even if you push the pedal down all the way. If you have no traction control, then it will just do whatever you want because it doesn't know any better.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
[ QUOTE ]
This is your source of confusion! You DON'T have complete control over the throttle. In the TDI (maybe gassers too?) the "throttle" is electronically controlled. There is no throttle cable or any physical linkage to the injection pump. Thus, if you have ASR or ESP, the computer can regulate the power (and lower it) to help prevent slipping wheels, even if you push the pedal down all the way. If you have no traction control, then it will just do whatever you want because it doesn't know any better.

[/ QUOTE ] The above is only true on the cars with ESP or the ASR option. THE ASR option also includes EDL. If you did not order ASR or ESP when you bought the car you most likely don,t have ANY traction control. IF you don,t have a button on the dash saying ASR you don,t have it. As i stated above in my first post above you can add ASR/EDL to your car by simply changing the brake hydro and computer module. YOU can read about the change here Traction Control Simple job and it is plug and play. You don't even have to install the ASR switch if you you do not want to turn it off. and i never turn mine off. The traction control thread is long and may be a bit confusing at times fill free to email me if you have any questions.

purduepilot

TDI
2000 Jetta Black
[ QUOTE ]
Where at in Hoosier-land are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm from Fort Wayne, but I go to school at Purdue University

Thanks for the insight guys. I really appreciate it.

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
My 2002 Golf came with EDL, no ASR or ESP, I feel that the EDL is enough on a 100bhp car though, on my E320 CDI I'd struggle without the ESP in the wet, the back end can get quite lively on greasy surfaces if you're not careful.