Grand Canyon breakfast

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
On the lark, Thursday night we decided to run up to the El Tovar lodge at Grand Canyon for Friday breakfast. This trip is 355 miles each way, going from near sea level to above 7,000 feet. After driving the 710 miles round-trip, I was amazed with the goodness of these cars. Our 00 NB TDI automatic performed flawlessly, climbing the hills and mountains with ease. The TDI crossed the first mountain with such ease, we were over the summit before we even realized we had been climbing. Even the 20 mile grade up from Needles (westbound) did not strain the TDI. Somehow, this automatic transmission selects the gears almost perfectly. More than ever, I'm convinced with the wisdom of driving a TDI.

------------------
00TDI NB/Auto/Red
TVA Pipes, VW splashguards,
TDI script

NORM

Steve:

I think that's cool!!! 355 miles for breakfast. My wife and I have driven from SE Wisconsin for breakfast at Al Johnson's in Sister Bay, WI north of Green Bay in Door County. They have the best steak and eggs. We then top it off with a kids helping of Swedish pancakes topped with Cherries, Ice Cream and whipped cream. We then meander home on backroads.

mmmmmmmm...I'm hungry.

Great post.

NORM!!!

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
Sister Bay, Wisconsin --hmmmm- a few overnite drives and we could make that our next spontaneous breakfast jaunt. Perhaps other members can post a list of "best" breakfast spots, then we could organize a cross country TDI breakfast run. I'm game.
BTW, my wife described the Grand Canyon breakfast as "decadent." -- French toast using banana nut bread, topped with bananas Foster, with outstanding caramelized sauce.

jmclain

Veteran Member
Man, you guys are making me want to take a road trip - a "breakfast tour"! What a smashing idea! Any type of food tour would be a terrific idea. Different regions of the country have different specialties and cooking styles.

Yum-yum!!

------------------
John
2000 Jetta GLS TDI: White, grey leather, Solargard tint, 15" alloys, sunroof, 6-disc Monsoooooooooon...
"I love this car - I look good in it!" -- Chris Kattan as Doug Mutabi in "A Night at the Roxbury"

TDIguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1998, Black
Breakfast Heaven! There is a restaurant on the Traverse Bay Penninsula on Lake Michigan that servers an incredible brunch with local fare including Michigan sweet cherries, OUT OF THIS WORLD! This Sunday Brunch includes a jazz trio that plays while you dine. The most incredible breakfast experience. If anyone is interested I will have to get the name and address, I cannot remember

Smithers

Veteran Member
Hey Norm!

I'm in Kenosha. You're the closest TDI'er I've found in Wisconsin. My usual TDI breakfast run is to the George Webb's 2 blocks from my house. Not very picturesque, but when you're tired and hungry, you go with what you know!

Maybe a Wisconsin area TDI breakfast-campout get-together at Bong Recreational Area would be appropriate someday? (No, you non-Wisconsiners, it's not what the name implies, it's a state park)

NORM

George Webbs is the best greasy spoon in SE WI. Their egg burgers are great after the bars close and you need to sober up with a few cups of coffee. If you know what I mean. Its a birthday tradition in our family serve the birthday boy or girl their favorite dinner. I chose George Webbs one year and really shocked the kids and wife (neophites as they were to the better things in life) and pigged out on burgers, fries and coffee. It seems that all of the waitresses have tatoos and ask you "what da ya want" and this was before tatoos became really popular.

They're open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and have two identical clocks on the wall right next to each other. Their slogan is "Buy one, Buy 7, Buy 7 million".

Ya, I've been there.

A southeastern WI GTG would be fun. Of couse, we wouldn't turn away any other TDIers from other parts of the country if they were in the neighborhood. We do like to travel.

Talk to ya.

NORM!!!