'10 Jetta, driver's front brake wear sensor/harness

9OrangeLetters

TDI
MkV 2010 Jetta TDI
I've had the light on the dash for a few months now - since August some time, telling me to change my brake pads. When the car was in for a state inspection I had the dealership look into the brake light (I assumed I needed pads).

Turns out that I don't need pads, I need some wiring harness of some sort that they have to order from Germany that'll cost me $200+ something part+labor. :eek:

Dealership told me that whoever did the brakes before (a used car lot where I bought the car, not the VW dealer) broke the harness. Something about it getting into the axle or something and getting torn apart.

I'm suspicious of both the cost of this part, the labor involved, and how a wiring harness was able to spontaneously make it into the axle, get torn up, and otherwise cause no other issues.

No I haven't pulled the wheel (yet). I probably should.

Should I assume they're trying to screw me out of a bunch of cash? Does anybody know of a 3rd party that sells parts like this, like idparts.com?

ETA: I should mention that the brakes have not changed appreciably in response since before the light came on, at all.

Last edited:

9OrangeLetters

TDI
MkV 2010 Jetta TDI
I just found the documentation from the inspection. The part is: 1K0927903B. Has anybody replaced this? Is it difficult?

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I had the same problem. The previous owner of the car broke the harness. Every once in a while I used to get the "change brake pads" reminder. There are two wires, I connected them to each other and applied some electrical tape, that made the warning go away. In my honest opinion, you don't need a sensor to tell you to change the brake pads. A Jetta owner should inspect its car once in a while for brake pads and rotors wear.

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
That's a lot of money. They didn't offer to repair the harness? If its just two wires then it should be a pretty simple fix. If you don't care much for the brake pad sensors then you can also turn it off using vcds.