VCDS Software out of date

SledDawg2

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I have VCDS with the HEX-COM-CAN interface.
Software 11.11
Whenever I start my VCDS I 'm getting a warning that my software is out of date.

I only use this on my personal car ond once in a while another family member may ask me to check their VW for a CEL.

The problem is my lap-top does not have a modem and upgrading is not a straight forward procedure.
For my needs I'm happy with what I have.
How can I get rid of the peskey warning without having to upgrade the software ?

Last edited:

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
Download from another machine and install on a flash drive? You essentially do an over the top refresh/update. It will ask if you want to update the USB driver. That us optional but doesn't seem to hurt anything either if you do it. If you bought the legitimate cable, check with them. Does it have a cd rom drive? USB ports?

SledDawg2

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Vcds

Download from another machine and install on a flash drive? You essentially do an over the top refresh/update. It will ask if you want to update the USB driver. That us optional but doesn't seem to hurt anything either if you do it. If you bought the legitimate cable, check with them. Does it have a cd rom drive? USB ports?
...Does it have a cd rom drive? USB ports
No USB port just a floppy slot like this ....

5.25" floppy

Last edited:

Keithuk

TDI
Golf GTD 2.0 (170)
The latest version is Release 11.11.6 but you will need someway of getting it on your laptop.

If you click the X in the top right corner of that out of date message you can carry on using your current version.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Best bet might be to escalate to Ross-Tech directly... that's what Tech Support is all about and they have a history of actively wanting to know when there are bugs out there. :)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
It's not checking any more, but it has already checkED, and the message will remain.
If you still have the install on floppy, uninstall from the machine, reload to the machine from the floppy, and turn off the check before it 'knows' there's a newer version out there.
Without a modem or connection how did it discover that there is a newer version than the one installed?

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
It's not checking any more, but it has already checkED, and the message will remain.
If you still have the install on floppy, uninstall from the machine, reload to the machine from the floppy, and turn off the check before it 'knows' there's a newer version out there.
Without a modem or connection how did it discover that there is a newer version than the one installed?
I think it may use a timed expiration (?). It sounds illogical but, my laptop prompted me to update and I had no Internet connection at the time.

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
Years ago my father bought this...

It has a newer type video card and display output.
A printer card has also been added
Lol. I had an Atari 800 that used 5.25" floppies. No hard drive. Neighbor had a Commodore 64. It had cassette and floppy.

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
No USB port just a floppy slot like this ....

5.25" floppy
Pics please! Preferably with system on and running. I thought the 5.25" was dead around the end of Windows 3.1. ... And in a laptop???

I think you're pulling our chain. ?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yikes that is old. I did have a laptop that as recently as 15 years ago used 3 1/2" floppies, but it was mostly because its usb ports were dead - no usb drivers from windows 98.