Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 99 NB & 03 Golf TDI's
Anyone got pros and cons on buying a used 2015 golf tdi with less than 20k

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
There are other threads on this question, but I'll chime in. I got a new 2015 in Orlando and drove it home. In comparison to my 2009 JSW TDI, this is tons better. Yep, it's more techy and that can go wrong. Power and torque are better, but the DSG on this one has a better gear ratio, so at about 100 km / hr, the engine is turning slower by about 250 rpm. The new engine on that first 10,000 km [6500 miles] was about 5 L / 100 km [46 MPG] The lighting package is wonderful and the auto wipers work perfectly. Better sound system. The first phase of the emissions fix is not noticeable other than there is a place to put urea in next to the fuel. A bit more solid feel, but jury is still out with the rear suspension. No problems yet, but no really loaded summer camping trips on frost heaved roads yet.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I bought a fixed 2015 Passat from a dealer last October. It's been a great car.

Pros: great extended warranty on all the important stuff.

Cons: some mods will void the warranty.

:)

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I drove a 2015 for two days as a loaner. Initially I couldn't figure out why it felt so anemic compared to my 2012. After all it's supposed to have ten more horsepowers. On the second day I realized that the gearing is 15% longer (or in Mike's words, 'better'). No wonder the 2015s get better diesel mileage. If that is all you are after, you'll be happy. I'm glad I kept my 2012.

soldierguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI S DSG
I bought a '15 Jetta with 12,500 miles at the end of January. It's got 26,000 miles on it now, and it's been great so far. Great warranty, and a fantastic commuter car. I haven't had any issues yet.

TDIray

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the comments. I missed out on the deal. It was out of state. I love the tdi's and own a 1998 jetta and a 2003 golf. I do wonder about the value of 2015's going forward. If you buy to drive it want matter. With the price of diesel vs gas I guess the tsi is a consideration.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There are lots of '15s around, more arriving at dealers all the time. I test drove a '15 Passat Manual with 10K on it last Saturday. And I have a '15 GSW that I bought a year ago: it was a new car that sat at our local dealer for 18 months, but I'm the first owner. I have only 8K on it but I like it much better than the '12 Golf I owned previously. Lots of the same comments as Mike listed above. Only downside in my opinion is the smaller fuel tank. After years of driving vented MKIV and B4 cars it's hard to give up 700+ miles per tank.

I'd keep looking and grab one. They may be the last ones we see, at least for a while. (I'm optimistic). And if you find one with a manual transmission it'll hold its value really well.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I haven't done any reading in the Dieselgate Forum but from other threads I got the impression that there was no fix for the manual equipped cars.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I believe the only manual affected is the Passat prior to the 2015 changes (Gen-2?). 2015 manuals, and, iirc, Jetta/Golf/etc. Gen-1 manuals are fine and have a fix.

TDIray

Veteran Member
TDI
It looks like 2015 tdi's manuals are hard to come by. Anyone know why VW when to automatics in such numbers? The last time I was in Europe automatics were hard to come by.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
96% of the cars sold in America are automatics. As manufacturers go, VW offers more cars with manuals than average. And it also builds more TDIs with manuals than other models, with the possible exceptions of the GTI and Golf R.

TDI buyers often want manuals, in part because, in the past, VW's TDI automatics were so lousy. That's not the case any longer, but manuals are still popular. So they get snapped up quickly and people tend to hold on to them.

However, smart dealers are buying more manuals than automatics at the bought back cars auctions. The dealer I was at the other day had more manual GSWs than automatics. And two manual '15 Passats.

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
It looks like 2015 tdi's manuals are hard to come by. Anyone know why VW when to automatics in such numbers? The last time I was in Europe automatics were hard to come by.
The manuals are out there, but you have to go to the car where ever you find it. When you find the one you want, POUNCE, because it's a seller's market for those. That's what I did. Yeah, it cost me one-way airfare and a hotel, but it was worth it in the long run.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
I will never trust a DSG. Period. Think about how complicated the '15's are already. DEF fluid, thermostatically controlled oil pump, slats in the cooling system to open and close. a much more difficult oil change procedure.. A dizzying array of extra sensors in the exhaust and emission standards that are insanely tight and its a one year unicorn. Yeah they may have produced them out of the country but so what? The people who tell you that dont have to worry about getting them fixed like the average joe does. THEN you have the DSG with its own issues and potential for disaster plus I dont care how fast it shifts, it will NEVER have the feel of an true manual nor the control. Add the fact that its way more expensive to modify and you have a ticking time bomb. Manuals will ALWAYS hold their value and are super easy to mod because you dont even need to worry about the transmission. If you are going to get a DSG, you might as well get a hybrid.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Talking with customers the biggest failure point in DSGs is the same as it is in VW manuals-the DMF. Otherwise they seem pretty durable. You almost never hear of the clutches failing or wearing out. I'm not a fan of any automatic when I can have a manual, but the DSGs seem to do pretty well.

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
DEF fluid, [snip]. a much more difficult oil change procedure. [snip.] Manuals will ALWAYS hold their value and are super easy to mod because you dont even need to worry about the transmission. If you are going to get a DSG, you might as well get a hybrid.
DEF on a NMS Passat is a lot easier to refill than the Touareg/Q7/Porsche variants. If you watch for a sale and stock up, DEF is as cheap as washer fluid.

The oil change on the CVCA is easier than the CKRA. Remove the stupid tie straps that hold the wiring harness in the way of the oil filter, and simply move the wiring harness out of the way and hold it out of the way with a short bungee cord. Then install reusable tie straps to put the harness back in place. A lot less messy than changing oil in the CKRA.

I love manual transmissions. I have owned a manual transmission car since 1975. But, I also live in a rural area where it's not an issue. No way I would have a stick shift in a large city.

Just my $.02

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I will never trust a DSG. Period. Think about how complicated the '15's are already. DEF fluid, thermostatically controlled oil pump, slats in the cooling system to open and close. a much more difficult oil change procedure.. A dizzying array of extra sensors in the exhaust and emission standards that are insanely tight and its a one year unicorn. Yeah they may have produced them out of the country but so what? The people who tell you that dont have to worry about getting them fixed like the average joe does. THEN you have the DSG with its own issues and potential for disaster plus I dont care how fast it shifts, it will NEVER have the feel of an true manual nor the control. Add the fact that its way more expensive to modify and you have a ticking time bomb. Manuals will ALWAYS hold their value and are super easy to mod because you dont even need to worry about the transmission. If you are going to get a DSG, you might as well get a hybrid.
I guess you never fly, or use modern electronics and such either. Ever been to the hospital? Everything is complex today for lots of things we use. Complexity doesn't mean failure necessarily. Lots of complex things work just fine.

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta s\DSG 2015 & 1&2 FIX
Buy one you will learn. love my 2015 jetta S TDI DSG 43000 miles doing 47 MPG.
$650 for 12 months of fuel 13000 miles :)

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
'15 MT6spd

I heard from Tunemyeuro.com that the 15 MT uses sheet metal synchros....not brass. They fail alot after mods on their 15 GSW. The car is on their blog if anyone is interested.
I was talking on the phone with them when i heard about this.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I guess you never fly, or use modern electronics and such either. Ever been to the hospital? Everything is complex today for lots of things we use. Complexity doesn't mean failure necessarily. Lots of complex things work just fine.
Completely non relevant. Why should something have added unnecessary complexity? In engineering, the simpler something is usually indicates the more intelligently it is designed.

I suppose that in your mind, this is an intelligent indication of the future. What is scary is that it is becoming so easy to exploit the moron in most people.
http://www.mysmalt.com

Last edited:

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
mysmalt LOL I'd enjoy throwing that ****ing thing at the wall and watching it explode.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Completely non relevant. Why should something have added unnecessary complexity? In engineering, the simpler something is usually indicates the more intelligently it is designed.

I suppose that in your mind, this is an intelligent indication of the future. What is scary is that it is becoming so easy to exploit the moron in most people.
http://www.mysmalt.com
I wouldn't say the dsg has any more added complexity than is needed to do its job or any similar modern transmission has. Maybe you are just saying there should be no auto transmissions as manuals are much simpler and straight forward. But no even some of those are rather trashy and not well designed at all. Simpler only means simpler not necessarily better or more intelligently designed. Some things can be but not all things are. Auto transmissions of all kinds for many years have been complicated and expensive as compared to manuals. I would choose to work on a manual transmission over and auto everytime as they are much more complicated. My 1935 Ford is much more simple in design but it isn't a car that anyone today would want as a daily driver without some of the complex improvements that have come about over the last 100 years. Overall I would say the dsg is a very unique, reliable and yes semi complex part of the car. Other than having a few quirks it seems to do its job very well.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Walking is one of the least complex (and perhaps most reliable) ways of getting from point A to point B.

Have you tried it lately?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I guess Pacemakers are overly complicated as well. Just beat on their chest as needed. Simple too! No use for any of those complicated new fangled do dads when cpr works just fine with just hands and mouth. If you were a caveman you would probably argue against fire too.

Don't even get started on Tesla, SpaceX, NASA, nuclear power etc...

Rotarial

TDI
2006 Reflex Silver w/ Package 1
Do DSGs not have the mechatronics sensor issues anymore? I'm just irked right now because my mechatronics just went out on my 06 Jetta TDI. 250k miles on it and it has gone out twice. once at about 110k miles and once just now. This $2000 repair quite sucks. So I have been looking at getting a fixed manual Jetta, but not sure what year to go with. If the DSG's are better now (more reliable mechatronics) then that opens me up to Passats too since manual Passats are pretty much non-existent.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The mechatronics issues in TDIs seem to have been limited to the '05.5-'06 Jettas. I haven't heard of failures in the later cars. In fairness, it wasn't that common in the MKVs, either.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
All dual mass flywheels fail at some point. Early DSG transmission cars did have earlier failures than others, but DMFs have a service life.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Every thing that flexes like springs etc. will fail at some point.
This is especially true of Dual Mass Flywheels which have springs flexing at every revolution to cushion the torque impulses from the Diesel engine.
In regular clutches there are the springs in the hub that do the same thing instead of the flywheel.
They go bad too.