First impression of a fixed 3.0L TDI Gen 2

BikeMe

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Well, I had my 2015 Q5 'fixed' last week. Overall, it was worth the extra $4200 + the extended warranty, but, it did negatively impact the car's performance. Under my 'normal' from-stop acceleration, the car barely moves (relatively speaking). I have to drive with a MUCH heavier foot than before the fix to match the expected performance. That said, the performance is there, but it is not nearly as smooth as it used to be. I'll report back after a tank or two with my gas mileage. Too soon to tell yet. I'd be very interested in learning about Chipwerke or any other performance tuning to get my Q5 functioning closer it's pre-fix self.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Well, I had my 2015 Q5 'fixed' last week. Overall, it was worth the extra $4200 + the extended warranty, but, it did negatively impact the car's performance. Under my 'normal' from-stop acceleration, the car barely moves (relatively speaking). I have to drive with a MUCH heavier foot than before the fix to match the expected performance. That said, the performance is there, but it is not nearly as smooth as it used to be. I'll report back after a tank or two with my gas mileage. Too soon to tell yet. I'd be very interested in learning about Chipwerke or any other performance tuning to get my Q5 functioning closer it's pre-fix self.
It’s a good idea to wait and drive for a while. Many have reported that shifts smooth out, and performance and efficiency improve. Try resetting the throttle by turning on car (without foot on break, so engine does not start), mashing accelerator to the floor for 15 seconds, then turning off car. See if that helps. Then you can explore these options:

1) Chipwerke $350 plug and play, modest effect on performance, reversible, returnable for 30 days. Undetectable by dealer software so does not void warranty (remove it before you take the car in!) Try for yourself and see if you like. Buy through eBay or their own website.

2) ECU tuners, several around, Malone seems to be most used, stage 1 $600, changes all the engine parameters, significant boost in performance, voids warranty if caught by dealer, look around these forums for more information.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
ECU Tuners does not outright void warranty, they have to be able to at least imply cause and effect.. for example if the HPFP goes and your tuned, they will cover it as they have many tuned cars on these forums that had HPFP failure.. Tunes cannot wreck a HPFP, mebe a Turbo or Exhaust components.. but if you delete the DPF/SCR/EGR systems with your ECU Tune then really the only things left the #dieselgate warranty might cover is Longblock/Turbo/Fuel System.. and out of those 3, only 1 has any real chance of giving you an issue.. the Fuel System which a Tune cant be blamed for anyhow..

Dieselgate Warranty isint all that great, they are remapping the transmission on all automatic TDI's yet its somehow only the TCU/TCM is covered.. Your far more likely to have Transmission issues within 120k miles than Engine/Turbo issues, at least in my experience..

TLDR, If your going for an ECU Tune, just delete all the emissions crap (presuming you can).. Without em they dont need to be covered under warranty, and really they are the most unreliable parts on the vehicle.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
^^ As a practical matter they can — and have — refused to honor the warranty and forced the owner to take action to make them. Yes, you would probably prevail in court but what a hassle.

As for deleting the emissions system, yes, one could. I don’t judge anyone who takes that direction but I, myself, would look at all options before I turned off all my vehicle’s clean air systems.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I got mine 6 months later on my Golf, they come when they come and there is nothing yeh can do but keep waiting.

gkstar

TDI
Q5
Is anyone considering to stay put and not apply the fix for the time being? The letter I got here in Canada states that parts for the old emission system may no longer be available at some point in time which may force one to apply the fix at that time in case of emission related repair. I do not believe dealers can push you to fix in any way, right (?)

DUTCH VanAtlanta

TDI
2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
Is anyone considering to stay put and not apply the fix for the time being? The letter I got here in Canada states that parts for the old emission system may no longer be available at some point in time which may force one to apply the fix at that time in case of emission related repair. I do not believe dealers can push you to fix in any way, right (?)
I am waiting. According to the settlement documents, we have until April 30, 2020. See Section II on page 7 of the following document.

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/w... Approval of 3.0L Class Action Settlement.pdf

lord diesel

TDI
2000' Jetta TDi, 2016' Audi Q5 TDI
I just received mine as well. I did find it interesting that no where in the letter from Audi Canada did it mention this was a voluntary recall. Not happening on this unit. No way, no how. If at some point they claim they don't have the original emission parts then Malone here we come. By then the warranty will likely be toast anyway.

Last edited:

TouaregCryer

TDI
2013 Touareg Lux
Final "First Impression"

Thanks to a suggestion from a member here, I was finally able to get rid of the lurching and hesitation issues I've previously mentioned. I don't recall his name, but thank you! (The solution was "ignition on, depress accelerator for 10-15 seconds"; simple as that. I just got it wrong the first time.)

That issue both preceded and followed the "fix", so the fix had nothing to do with it. Consequently, after over 1,200 miles of driving in a whole variety of conditions "post-fix", here's my final report (hopefully).

I understand that lots of folks here are "enthusiasts" so I can't speak to their level, but here are the impressions from a driver who bought the car mainly for [1] its comfort (I'm very tall), and [2] I fell in love with diesels after 10 years of driving a Chevy 3500 while living in "the country" of N. Florida.

I'm satisfied.

Being roughly familiar with certain peculiarities of a diesel engine, I did observe the tach levels during shifting, both before and after the fix. There's no discernible difference. It blows through 1st and 2nd pretty quickly, and thereafter the tach reads within 100rpms of 2,000. Shifting is quite smooth, both in automatic and manual.

There is of course a touch of turbo lag (or maybe just plain ol' lag) when the accelerator is "stomped", but that's to be expected, in my opinion. Besides, I don't drive that way anyway. Pedal pressure = quick but smooth, when necessary (e.g., passing at highway speeds).

I feel no detectable difference in "zip". Climbing up a freeway entry ramp, I usually have to ease OFF the accelerator to match the ambient highway speed to merge in. It's still a jackrabbit from a standing start - if one wishes to drive that way - and on one occasion with a clear highway I took it on up to 110mph before chickening out. The car got there lickety-split.

Nothing scientific about testing the mileage in my case - just mark down the odometer reading before and after a refill, count the gallons, and in two round trips from Orlando to Live Oak and back (400 combined miles each time) it came in at 31mpg. Certainly no complaints there. I haven't tested city mileage, but a full tank seems to last forever.

I'm a "drive it till it drops" guy, so I never concerned myself with resale or trade-in values. Consequently, I'm ahead $8,856 in "reparations" (or whatever they call it) from VW and Bosch, and my car's as good as it was before "Dieselgate"... which is very, very good.

There may be hidden faults that could pop up later, but my advice for now is to "Go ahead an get 'er done".

Best regards. Over and out.

Frank

Last edited:

gkstar

TDI
Q5
I looks like weather is definitely a factor in perceived differences. I can see how Canadians like myself will be dragging their feet. Long Winters combined with a relatively short commute is probably the worst as that goes.

It may be a good idea to stock some of these old parts if they do not cost a fortune.

I called the phone number stated in the letter and after many automated menus I spoke to a rep asking if there was a time constraint for applying this fix and if I can delay. The answer was that I can delay with no limit (?) but at the same time they were so eager to call my dealer and book an appointment for me that it immediately raised a flag. Now I will have to make sure my dealer does not take the initiative and apply the fix during my next regular service visit. I will likely stick a big sign under the hood :)

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks to a suggestion from a member here, I was finally able to get rid of the lurching and hesitation issues I've previously mentioned. I don't recall his name, but thank you! (The solution was "ignition on, depress accelerator for 10-15 seconds"; simple as that. I just got it wrong the first time.)

That issue both preceded and followed the "fix", so the fix had nothing to do with it. Consequently, after over 1,200 miles of driving in a whole variety of conditions "post-fix", here's my final report (hopefully).

I understand that lots of folks here are "enthusiasts" so I can't speak to their level, but here are the impressions from a driver who bought the car mainly for [1] its comfort (I'm very tall), and [2] I fell in love with diesels after 10 years of driving a Chevy 3500 while living in "the country" of N. Florida.

I'm satisfied.

Being roughly familiar with certain peculiarities of a diesel engine, I did observe the tach levels during shifting, both before and after the fix. There's no discernible difference. It blows through 1st and 2nd pretty quickly, and thereafter the tach reads within 100rpms of 2,000. Shifting is quite smooth, both in automatic and manual.

There is of course a touch of turbo lag (or maybe just plain ol' lag) when the accelerator is "stomped", but that's to be expected, in my opinion. Besides, I don't drive that way anyway. Pedal pressure = quick but smooth, when necessary (e.g., passing at highway speeds).

I feel no detectable difference in "zip". Climbing up a freeway entry ramp, I usually have to ease OFF the accelerator to match the ambient highway speed to merge in. It's still a jackrabbit from a standing start - if one wishes to drive that way - and on one occasion with a clear highway I took it on up to 110mph before chickening out. The car got there lickety-split.

Nothing scientific about testing the mileage in my case - just mark down the odometer reading before and after a refill, count the gallons, and in two round trips from Orlando to Live Oak and back (400 combined miles each time) it came in at 31mpg. Certainly no complaints there. I haven't tested city mileage, but a full tank seems to last forever.

I'm a "drive it till it drops" guy, so I never concerned myself with resale or trade-in values. Consequently, I'm ahead $8,856 in "reparations" (or whatever they call it) from VW and Bosch, and my car's as good as it was before "Dieselgate"... which is very, very good.

There may be hidden faults that could pop up later, but my advice for now is to "Go ahead an get 'er done".

Best regards. Over and out.

Frank
Yep. Reset the throttle. Turn on ignition (not engine), floor accelerator for 15 seconds, turn off ignition. Process done.

Burnt

TDI
A7
Just got back from the Audi dealer with my 3.0L PC, Audi A7 3.0L TDI. Audi took 6 hours to fix. Flashed the ECU, replaced oxy sensor, and glow plug. Audi offered a loaner car, denied and offered someone to pick me up, denied - as I already had a ride. Audi guy told me to go get a tune, stating it won't void my emissions warranty (which I doubt). Audi is supplying 2 years of Adblue and filled the fuel tank to full.

The drive. I instantly noticed that the shifts are violent. I assume the computers are relearning everything so I'll expect them to mellow out. Stop and go traffic, I feel the lurching of the car from the shifts lots of people have been talking about. The car is in a gear for a longer period off time. Temperature of the coolant is 200F plus or minus 5F, outside temp was 52F, I was trying WOT anytime I had a chance and I have a turbo blanket. Will report after a few tanks.

lord diesel

TDI
I looks like weather is definitely a factor in perceived differences. I can see how Canadians like myself will be dragging their feet. Long Winters combined with a relatively short commute is probably the worst as that goes.
It may be a good idea to stock some of these old parts if they do not cost a fortune.
I called the phone number stated in the letter and after many automated menus I spoke to a rep asking if there was a time constraint for applying this fix and if I can delay. The answer was that I can delay with no limit (?) but at the same time they were so eager to call my dealer and book an appointment for me that it immediately raised a flag. Now I will have to make sure my dealer does not take the initiative and apply the fix during my next regular service visit. I will likely stick a big sign under the hood :)
I plan on getting the service agent to clearly note in my vehicle file "No Emission fix" on the next visit to the dealer. I like the idea of a sign under the hood and a peel off sticker over the OBDII port.
They "fix" it they will own it!

lord diesel

TDI
I plan on getting the service agent to clearly note in the vehicle file, "No Emission fix" on the next visit to the dealer. I like the idea of a sign under the hood and a peel off sticker over the OBDII port.
They "fix" it they will own it!

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Stick a fork in it- diesel is done. Politically, diesel doesn't have a leg to stand on.

dyehead

TDI
2013 Q7 Prestige
My Q7 is back at Audi for the NOX system again. They had to order parts from Germany last time.

Glanced over the shoulder of the tech who checked the codes and there were 3 errors. One said something about “performance regulator” or something. Incredibly fishy. They made up some excuse saying it was linked to the NOX system and quickly cleared all the alerts.

From a non mechanic it sure looked like something to do with why the car feels sluggish by the description.

The only thing that makes me think it’s innocuous is that I figure someone would have blown the whistle on something like that but even so, super suspicious.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
You are absolutely reading more in to it than is there. Many of the emissions codes on every car have the word "performance" in the code. It is nothing to do with car performance. It refers to the performance of the emissions system.

Cp3zero

TDI
Audi Q5
Q5 TDI 2014 Fixed (not the same)

Had the repair done last month and took the car back into service to drive around with the service manager. He and I both noticed these differences.

1.Shifting pattern has changed (similar to old sport mode)
This is an annoying way for me to drive my car very jerky and higher RPM's, and the shifting changes happening at awkward moments. No more smooth driving.

2. Diesel engine noticeably louder.
The luxury element of the car's quiet ride is decreased.

3. Way more fumes. The car exhaust is terrible.

Head of service confirmed all of these. If I could go back, I would have rejected the 9k and left it as is. It truly was a great car before, and now its avg.

2014Q5TDI

TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
Had the repair done last month and took the car back into service to drive around with the service manager. He and I both noticed these differences.
This is an annoying way for me to drive my car very jerky and higher RPM's, and the shifting changes happening at awkward moments. No more smooth driving.
Head of service confirmed all of these. If I could go back, I would have rejected the 9k and left it as is. It truly was a great car before, and now its avg.
I feel your pain! have the same feelings. luckily I have the paddle shifters to get into the higher gears, but I am locked out until it is warmed up. It appears you live in a warm climate. For me it is even worse, as there is a definite difference when the outside temperature is 50 degrees or below for about the first 20 minutes or so, runs at even higher RPM's and stays in low gears needlessly. Have had only a few days over 50 in the last two months since I got it fixed. Recently got my new F350 6.7 Power Stroke pickup. It shifts like the Audi used to, stays at low RPM's and doesn't need to idle at 1000 RPM's during warmup.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
I also had the fix done last month, but 1 and 2 were well known changes by then (though you have given them a very negative spin I must say). They ar even in the booklet Audi released to owners. I haven’t experienced 3.

Why did you proceed? It sounds a little like the story of the guy who went to the doctor and said: “it hurts when I go like this.” And the doc says: “don’t go like this.”

dyehead

TDI
2013 Q7 Prestige
You are absolutely reading more in to it than is there. Many of the emissions codes on every car have the word "performance" in the code. It is nothing to do with car performance. It refers to the performance of the emissions system.
Thanks for the reassurance, like I said - not a mechanic.

Poor choice of wording I'd say if it has nothing to do with the vehicle performance :)

Waiting to hear back as to how long it will take to repair.

I also got feedback that I'm not the only one who feels that the changes in both mileage and performance well exceed the agreement in the settlement. Looking forward to more people coming forward over the upcoming months who bought and drove their car on more than straight, flat roads and have some clue of what a change to their vehicle feels like :)

Needless to say my choice of a new sedan hinged upon how Audi handled this whole situation - ended up with another European manufacturer and am extremely satisfied.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Here is an example: P043B Catalyst Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

I am not certain what else they could call it, as the sensor is underperforming. It is a term of art and those are often confusing to people not in the industry.

I can totally understand going with another brand. This whole thing has been a mess. I still believe the Gen 2 3.0 should have gotten a buyback.

TDI
Audi Q5 TDI 3.0L
Here is my first impression:

Dropped off my 2014 Q5 TDI on Saturday appt with loaner. Told they would work on it first thing Monday. Picked up on Tuesday afternoon.

Drove back from the service department where I picked up my Q5 TDI. The vehicle was cold when picked up. Told me they filled the fuel tank. Fuel tank needle was about 3/4. Typical dealer nonsense. I hope I get a survey. I topped off the tank, took 6 gallons, $19.53. I reset Fuelly for the top off.

Engine sound at cold start was definitely noisier. Vehicle warmed up more quickly. Frankly, the cold and warm driving experience was actually improved. More power from a stop. Must be transmission programming. Fuel economy based on trip computer was fine.

So for the moment I'm happy except the driver seat memory was not working. Brought back today. Tech said it was "conflict between modules". Seat module was reset to factory settings and is working now.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
I sent signed/notarized offers back to VW through UPS one month and a half ago after the emission fix for 2 Gen 2 PCs.

Called the claim line and was told they received the returned pack and were noted the emission fix was done. But still haven't received the emails for EFT.

Anyone else in the same boat? Thanks.

TDI
Audi Q5 TDI 3.0L
I sent signed/notarized offers back to VW through UPS one month and a half ago after the emission fix for 2 Gen 2 PCs.

Called the claim line and was told they received the returned pack and were noted the emission fix was done. But still haven't received the emails for EFT.

Anyone else in the same boat? Thanks.
My recall was done on Monday. I received an email for "Chase Payments" on Tuesday where you accept the payment. Please check your email just in case.