Cassette deck acting goofy, heat to blame?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Good Evening Everyone,

I am having a slight issue with my cassette deck. I use a cassette to mono cable adapter, there are two brands, one is supposed to be better than the other based on the technology used so that may be one reason for the malfunction. After playing music for a while the cassette deck switches the tape from side 1 to side 2 and back to side 1 again and continues to play music. This will continue randomly and I am unsure as to why, I suspect it has to do with the stereo's amplifier creating too much heat causing it to malfunction. Other tan that I am having no other issues. What are some thoughts? Is this a normal occurrence?

Thanks,
Justin

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Nice, ill give it a shot, guess im a little too young to remember these existing haha.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
This crazy thing post 8 track pre-CD.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Haha yeh, I was around when they were available new in the shops and the CD hadn't been invented! Only 44 as well :D

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I have a few of the OEM radios and love the way they sound, much better than anything aftermarket I have found.

But I have to say, I am liking the Sirius/handsfree option on my aftermarket radio, I just wish the sound was worth a damn, even with the new Nakamichi speakers.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I am very pleasantly surprised by the audio quality of the stock system in this car. I am actually blown away by it. I make it a strict rule to never use my phone at all while driving and I don't use my phone for music, in fact, the only game I play on my phone is called how long can your battery last. So far I am up to 6 days and 7 hours. I hate the repetitive regurgitated **** every radio station plays. So the only thing I would use on a new head unit is the aux jack to plug into my trusty zune and I figure why spend at least a hundred on the unit if I have a perfectly good one right now? I also enjoy the look of the tape deck, it suits my sunny disposition of current vehicular technology.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I don't blame you. I'm looking at taking the car somewhere to fix the audio so it's at least close to the stock radio sound. I put new Polk Audio speakers in the sedan and Clarion's in the old wagon W386 has and the sound is spectacular with the stock radio so the speakers are worth an upgrade. I have been over the wiring a few times and the adapter Crutchfield sends is correct, but for some reason the sound is terrible. Since it's the same with Alpine, Kenwood, Sony, and one other receiver, I have to believe it's something to do with matching components. But, not being an Audiophile, I have no idea what I'm doing other than replacing components. It's also a peripheral device, thus not critical, and I have more pressing things to spend money on right now. I also wish the aftermarket head units sat flush with the dash, I hate how they stick out.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Once my speakers go, I plan on just upgrading the speakers and leaving the head unit alone, I wonder what results that will produce.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I understand that, but at this point I have a perfectly good working stereo and not the monies to spend on something I do not need if you smell what I'm stepping in.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright, zombie thread. I am trying to find a set of aftermarket speakers that will play very nicely with my stock stereo. I am assuming it is a 2ohm stereo with 20W RMS? I tried to find a part number for the stereo online with no luck. I think I am trying to find a medium and low frequency speaker, I don't need the tweeter since I am keeping the stock ones in my dashboard. I saw lupulin the third's post abut his JL audio speakers but I don't think he used a factory stereo since they are 4 ohm speakers. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Justin

00013cave

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 jetta TDI, 1997 GLX TDI
I have a GLX that I swapped an AHU into. Has the Bose sound system in it, but of course when I bought it it had an aftermarket radio/CD player because the original deck had been stolen from the previous owners. Finally found the OEM Bose deck that went with it. Now I can again listen to some of hundreds of cassettes I still have, the volume works properly and it sounds fantastic.

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
Cassette reversing mechanisms are usually triggered by tape tension; when the end of the tape is reached, the tape goes taut and the unit reverses. Does it randomly reverse on all of your tapes or just a few? You might try fast forwarding to the end and fully rewinding it to ease up any unevenness on the reel.

I still have a mountain of cassette tapes. They're 35 to 45 years old and the tape on many brands is rapidly degrading, but some still sound great. Yours may be suffering in the same way. Good luck and enjoy your listening.

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry for the confusion, I got my tape teck figured out long ago. I brought this thread back so I didn't have to start another one. I am CURRENTLY looking for recommendations for speakers that can be used with the current AM/FM Cassette stereo. I wanted to know the impedance the stock stereo puts out so I know what to look for in a set of speakers.

Thanks,
Justin

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
My old stock head unit clearly said 8 ohm impedance on the side. I pulled it out and replaced it with a nice USB input Kenwood, selling the old one. I don't really understand why so many people think they sound better than new units... I didn't notice a difference with sound quality on FM radio, but using a flash drive on the Kenwood sounds astonishingly better than using a cassette adapter on the stocker. Just my .02.

Unfortunately, all four of my stock speakers were blown when I bought the car. I only replaced the front two with JBLs which sound pretty good, but I'd still like to fix the rears and maybe get a sub eventually.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
You'll be glad when you do.

Add conveniences like Bluetooth audio streaming, voice dialing, hands free calling, etc. The double DIN Pioneer I installed in the wagon a few years back, seems antiquated already.

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I appreciate the inputs. Lucky for me, I still use my trusty ol' 32GB Zune HD and keep my phone in my pocket when I drive, no matter how many calls or texts I get. Ill stick with the stock unit for now. Glad to know the impedance is higher.

djrhetoric

Veteran Member
TDI
80 Rabbit pickup MTDI
Make sure you use a good cassette to 1/8" jack adapter. They are not all created equal.

The Sony CPA-7/8/9 seem to work amazingly. Don't be fooled by anything that has a C appended to the model, though. Anything else other than these are complete crap.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I am still on the hunt for some quality mid range only door speakers at the moment. Any other suggestions?