Never sold 0 milage dealership 2016 tdi's. Anybody trying to buy one?

OmniGLH

TDI
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
I bought a 2016 Treg Lux for $41,900 Saturday. Flint Grey with black leather, MSRP was $56,215.
Original web price on cars.com was $39,999 on mine. Final purchase price was 41,900 after destination charge and some BS discounts (veteran/recent graduate) I wasn't eligible for. Those one below was listed for $44,900 when I was looking at mine.
Wait ok - so then the '16 you bought was not brand new I take it?

That's a killer price if it was 0 miles new. I live nearby Elgin VW, was in there about a month ago for an oil change on my wife's GTI, and asked about the 3 TDI's they had in stock (and specifically the blue one.) Sales guy told me they've been selling for "between 12-15% off, depending on options."

bhuizer

TDI
2014 Toureg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, Past: 2012 Touareg TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI
Yes it was brand new, never sold. All of their Touaregs had 500ish miles on them. Their Sales Manager rotated driving them to keep them moving vs. sitting in one spot for two years. When I bought mine two weeks ago they had a reef blue, white and the flint grey one that I bought.

Last edited:

dennisjs

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI sportwagen 6spd, 2012 Touareg TDI Lux bought back by VW and traded on a new 2016 Touareg TDI Lux
Yes it was brand new, never sold. All of their Touaregs had 500ish miles on them. Their Sales Manager rotated driving them to keep them moving vs. sitting in one spot for two years. When I bought mine two weeks ago they had a reef blue, white and the flint grey one that I bought.

So you bought a demo? Still a very good deal. I must say that the Lux I (74 miles on it on delivery) bought with the $2500. driver's assistance package (which I did want) (by trading- this saved me $2100 in state sales tax all by itself) my 2012 Lux TDI with 75000 miles on it to VW and including all of the taxes, bosche settlement money I will have spent about 4500. to get into this 2016 . I got all the new to me safety equipment, the heated wheel, ventilated seats for now while in Florida and four model years newer for $4500. Bought at my preferred VW dealer. I am happy. I have brand new tires-not two year old tires, brakes, calipers, pads, rotors, fluids, filters, brake fluid flush, new battery and wiper blades. The car runs like a dream, smells new and I am happy to still be driving a TDI.

Last edited:

bhuizer

TDI
2014 Toureg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, Past: 2012 Touareg TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI
So you bought a demo? Still a very good deal. I must say that the Lux I (74 miles on it on delivery) bought with the $2500. driver's assistance package (which I did want) (by trading- this saved me $2100 in state sales tax all by itself) my 2012 Lux TDI with 75000 miles on it to VW and including all of the taxes, bosche settlement money I will have spent about 4500. to get into this 2016 . I got all the new to me safety equipment, the heated wheel, ventilated seats for now while in Florida and four model years newer for $4500. Bought at my preferred VW dealer. I am happy. I have brand new tires-not two year old tires, brakes, calipers, pads, rotors, fluids, filters, brake fluid flush, new battery and wiper blades. The car runs like a dream, smells new and I am happy to still be driving a TDI.
Agreed, hard to pass up the new car especially when you consider you get the full 10-year/120k mile emissions warranty. Honestly, I was completely fine with mine having 500 miles on it from the dealer and actually saw that as a benefit. I would have been nervous had it only moved a few feet in the two years they were sitting. They didn't want them getting lot-rot, so they kept them moving every few weeks. Still had all the stickers, etc on it.

Last edited:

dennisjs

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI sportwagen 6spd, 2012 Touareg TDI Lux bought back by VW and traded on a new 2016 Touareg TDI Lux
I had no fear of lot rot. Had an interest in the car 1 1/2 years before the dealer could actually sell it. My wife was in the automobile business for almost thirty years and you would be surprised the amount of time that some inventory sits. Not usually an issue. VW addressed these issues and had a special "prep list" starting with the four cylinder TDIs with good success and was not looking to make any enemies by cutting corners on their prep or the preps done on the 3.0 litres. Life is an adventure and in some ways I agree that driving the car occasionally is probably better but that was not a choice and the one car was equipped properly and the color was acceptable. I did not want to jump into the shopping fray knowing that the trade in was being offered. Sometimes when you get too greedy you get burned. I already had seriously considered just selling the 2012 TDI back and ordering a 2018 BMW x5 Diesel. It would have been two model years newer but by the time I put decent seats in it and equipped the car like the TDI it would have cost 25,000 more than the TDI. It was the solid back up plan. Just in case the stop sale continued into 2018 it was going to be the plan A. But the BMW, as nice as it was, was not the TDI. It had a very short warranty 48mos vs. 10 year power train warranty and was not the towing animal that the TDI is.

Last edited:

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
I have a deal on a 2016 Q5 TDI Premium plus with the $4,500 technology package --sticker is $54,000, and they are selling it to me for under $46,000. The best trade deal I have on my car 2014 Q5 TDI is $22,000 (at other dealers), and I got that up to $24,000 for this deal. My out of pocket before taxes is $22,000 to get into a 2016 Q5 TDI. Go for it?

stealthTDI

TDI
'03 Jetta GLS TDI,5sp,blk/blk,@127k traded for '09 Jetta TDI,2.0L CR,DSG,blk/blk(VW buyback 02/03/17)@197k;Replaced w/2017 Audi A4 Prestige quattro 2.0T blk/blk;'16 Passat R-Line(wife's);'05 Passat TDI(sold);'05 Ford F350 6.0 crewcab duallie.
There are a few never sold tdi's sitting in quarantine. Is anybody trying to buy one? What are your respective dealerships saying in regards to models and trims and prices?
The purpose of this thread is to help members establish a base of knowledge in order to negotiate the most reasonable and forseeable puchase price.

I have been offered an A6 TDI Prestige for 56.2k w/ an MSRP of 70,3k.What do you all think about this deal. As always, thx in advance.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
It's a good deal if you think it is...
20% off seems to be the norm...

kerlyb

TDI
2015 Touareg
Stopped by a dealer inquiring about a demo 2015 Q7 Prestige w/ 12k miles...MSRP $74k. Dealer would only take $10k off even after I told him about Audi promotion of 20% off. :mad:

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
It's a good deal if you think it is...
20% off seems to be the norm...
Went through about 6 dealers yesterday. 15% is the norm. There is a little wiggle room, but every dealer offered 15%, and none offered 20% even after haggling.

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
Bought 16 A8L TDI at 30% off today. Drove identical to my 15. EPA sticker says it had the emissions repair but the mileage ratings didn't change 24/36.

stealthTDI

TDI
'03 Jetta GLS TDI,5sp,blk/blk,@127k traded for '09 Jetta TDI,2.0L CR,DSG,blk/blk(VW buyback 02/03/17)@197k;Replaced w/2017 Audi A4 Prestige quattro 2.0T blk/blk;'16 Passat R-Line(wife's);'05 Passat TDI(sold);'05 Ford F350 6.0 crewcab duallie.
Bought 16 A8L TDI at 30% off today. Drove identical to my 15. EPA sticker says it had the emissions repair but the mileage ratings didn't change 24/36.

Greetings fellow South Floridian, I would considerate it very useful if you could tell me at what Audi dealership you received such a great deal. I am actively searching for a NOS '16 A6 Prestige. As always Thx in advance.

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
Test drove a prestige 16 A6. Dealer not really willing to budge on price , 10% off.

When you compare the 16 with an 18..... the ride, sound and numerous other things say you need a pretty big discount, at least in our case for the value to be there.

The tdi was pretty loud, and to be honest low end torque versus the 18 gas model hardly a difference. The gas model had some serious pickup.

For now on the sidelines unless we can score one for $50k maybe lower, other than that may move on to gas model in an 18. The gas model 18 screams luxury ride and comfort, the 16 screams sportier nicer passat.

Last edited:

stealthTDI

TDI
Test drove a prestige 16 A6. Dealer not really willing to budge on price , 10% off.
When you compare the 16 with an 18..... the ride, sound and numerous other things say you need a pretty big discount, at least in our case for the value to be there.
The tdi was pretty loud, and to be honest low end torque versus the 18 gas model hardly a difference. The gas model had some serious pickup.
For now on the sidelines unless we can score one for $50k maybe lower, other than that may move on to gas model in an 18. The gas model 18 screams luxury ride and comfort, the 16 screams sportier nicer passat.
I have been offered a 2016 A6 TDI prestige (60 miles on the odo)for $55,300 w a sticker $74,000 that I will be accepting. You may want to rethink your position on the TDI as I currently own a 2017 gasser w/4k miles on it that I will be trading in for the TDI. The 2017 is a nice car but a habitual fuel burner.

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
I have been offered a 2016 A6 TDI prestige (60 miles on the odo)for $55,300 w a sticker $74,000 that I will be accepting. You may want to rethink your position on the TDI as I currently own a 2017 gasser w/4k miles on it that I will be trading in for the TDI. The 2017 is a nice car but a habitual fuel burner.
That’s a nice discount, I hear you in the gas issue. Did you test drive the fixed Audi yet? Yours must have some other features to get $74k msrp, the one we test drove was $68k and was loaded but did not have comfort seating if that’s available. The 18 and comfort seating was pretty nice.

I’ve been thinking more and more about the car but need to see a bigger discount.

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
I was but my local stealership in north Edmonton (won't mention who) are a bunch of d!cks. Done with VW for now. They're gauging people for their old stock and are unwilling to negotiate. Looks like this VW-faithful has bought another brand.

stealthTDI

TDI
That’s a nice discount, I hear you in the gas issue. Did you test drive the fixed Audi yet? Yours must have some other features to get $74k msrp, the one we test drove was $68k and was loaded but did not have comfort seating if that’s available. The 18 and comfort seating was pretty nice.

I’ve been thinking more and more about the car but need to see a bigger discount.
I did take delivery of the '16 A6. The specs are as follows: Prestige pkg ,Driver assist pkg ,Comfort seating pkg ,S-line spt pkg ,Cold weather pkg ,Audi guard protect kit ,Cargo net ,Wheel lock kit ,First aide kit and 4 yrs additional AudiCare.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
Well here goes. Original very well loaded a7. Pre scandal offer was about $73k USD. Thats $97K CDN.

Post scandal they offered me $63k USD or $85k CDN. Told them to pound sand.

My guy that i was dealing with had quit so negotiating had started over.

After showing them a number of ontario cars that sold for $48K USD or $65K CDN last april i told them that my hard offer was going to be $45K USD or $60K CDN.

Car has less than two hours driving time in total. Today i called to see if they are considering the offer i gave them last week and im told that they are deliberating still.

I hope i get it just as much as i hope i dont.

For $70K i can buy a fully loaded and easily tunable x5d with the same bells and whistles. The only diff is that the bmw is easy to tune AND... the teck in it will be 3.5 years newer.

Is this a good deal at my asking price? What you guys think?

saggii

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer - Jetta(s), A6
Well here goes. Original very well loaded a7. Pre scandal offer was about $73k USD. Thats $97K CDN.

Post scandal they offered me $63k USD or $85k CDN. Told them to pound sand.

My guy that i was dealing with had quit so negotiating had started over.

After showing them a number of ontario cars that sold for $48K USD or $65K CDN last april i told them that my hard offer was going to be $45K USD or $60K CDN.

Car has less than two hours driving time in total. Today i called to see if they are considering the offer i gave them last week and im told that they are deliberating still.

I hope i get it just as much as i hope i dont.

For $70K i can buy a fully loaded and easily tunable x5d with the same bells and whistles. The only diff is that the bmw is easy to tune AND... the teck in it will be 3.5 years newer.

Is this a good deal at my asking price? What you guys think?
Is it a 14 or a 15? I personally think that a brand new 2015 A7 Prestige fully loaded with full warranty at 45K is a very good deal because of the new car warranty (minimal issues at first place) + extended warranty + 1 free maintenance. A6/7/8 have a kind of timeless design so it won't go out of style for a few years.
It would be still an OK deal if MY is 2014.

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
Paid $60 k on $80k sticker

A7 prestige, do not think they would have done any more. Hard to believe they will sell the cars below what I got but could be possible.
I almost think they would rather not sell the cars then let them go at absolute rock bottom prices.

Good luck, and be careful the car could disappear all over a few $k give and take.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW

I don't think I understand cross shopping an A7 and an x5d. They are both diesels and they are both luxury. I guess they both have AWD as well. But driving a big SUV is so much different than driving a sedan.

These cars are out of my current price range when new. But I kind of agree with the comment about being careful over losing it over a couple grand if you want the car. I mean the depreciation on both is going to be brutal so a few grand spread over a few years isn't too much relatively speaking.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
Is it a 14 or a 15? I personally think that a brand new 2015 A7 Prestige fully loaded with full warranty at 45K is a very good deal because of the new car warranty (minimal issues at first place) + extended warranty + 1 free maintenance. A6/7/8 have a kind of timeless design so it won't go out of style for a few years.
It would be still an OK deal if MY is 2014.
Its a 16 and its a tecknik. Ventalated seats. Headlight washers. Heated wheel. Night vision. Bang and olufsun sound. Lights package. 360 degree camera. No carplay though. Its old. Does have the 4k wifi. Less than 200 kms on it. Less than 120 miles that is.

Last edited:

saggii

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer - Jetta(s), A6
Its a 16 and its a tecknik. Ventalated seats. Headlight washers. Heated wheel. Night vision. Bang and olufsun sound. Lights package. 360 degree camera. No carplay though. Its old. Does have the 4k wifi. Less than 200 kms on it. Less than 120 miles that is.
Honestly, I'm not sure what is a tecknik model. May be a premium plus equivalent of US? Premium Plus<Prestige. And that link you shared in earlier post expired so I can't say for sure. But having said that 2016 model with bang and olufsen - if I'm not mistaken the speakers open up sort of like an umbrella on front dash was couple thousand extra. I say go for it, it is still a great deal.

You are right though that the interior looks like it could use a refresh...may be more tech? However, it is typical with Audi that they don't change style - both interior and exterior, quite so often as other manufacturers.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
$69k CAD. Thats $52.5k

Damn. Should i accept? They want $9k more than i offered.

No audi care.
Cpo warranty.
I think i can squeeze another 5k down i think.

saggii

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer - Jetta(s), A6
$69k CAD. Thats $52.5k

Damn. Should i accept? They want $9k more than i offered.

No audi care.
Cpo warranty.
I think i can squeeze another 5k down i think.
So I did a little bit of research for you (I buy and sell every couple months so needless to say I kinda enjoy it :) ) and here is what I found out/recommend -
1. Technik is canadian model for the US Prestige model which is top of the line and adds the minimum premium of 5-6 grand easy than the premium plus (progressiv). So in that car lane assist and automatic stop should be standard (I think) and you have the premium sound as well! So overall you have 8-10k of equity over the base A7 model. Equity is just an operational word here.
2. Value proposition when compared with A6: When I bought the A6 I had the similar dilemma. Everything was same with the 2 cars, well, except the body style but still A7 always had a 8-10K premium. At the same time the hatchback looked awesome and was a headturner and the owner I was talking with said he is used to getting lot of compliments for the car. He said, people thought he was uber rich but in reality was just a normal upper middle class. However, with A6 it is more like a "you have reached there thing". A6 is not flashy. You may ask why I'm even talking about A6 - just to keep things in perspective, value wise. I found A6 delivered more value and a slightly used a6 was more value for money. Having said that I looked and in 40k USD in US can get you a great 2016 A6 progressiv (PP) ever so slightly used. The same dealer whose link you posted has it on for 60k CAD. With your negotiation skills may be you can get them to 50k CAD! and that could be a good deal as well. Value vs Flash, low key(dare I say for A6) vs getting attention. You decide.
3. Resale - You would also need to resale it depending on how long you are planning to retain ownership of the car. It may be difficult to sell it at a price near your purchase price or without a monster depreciation in short term say 2-3 years. Also consider canadian currency fluctuation and the sheer size of the US market (US is pretty big market vs canadian). I know you are not a rookie buyer but I felt I just needed to say things.
4. The deal itself - I think a new A7 Prestige would be a great deal at 50k USD, though I would miss the new car warranty but nonetheless it would have emmisions warranty and CPO warranty for 2 years. But if it were me, I would have thought twice about buying because of the lower currency rate currently (1.3 vs 1 just couple years ago - CAD reached further) and the resale market size.
5. Final thoughts - Ask for 48K USD if possible (50k is still a great deal), pay with credit cards to maximize points and may be negotiate the maintenance package. I think in next couple weeks the car is going to the auction if you don't buy it or dealer is not agreeing on the price. The deal is a good one. All the best.

PS: if the deal fells through - look out for BMW 2018 340GT (hatchback) it is a 3.0 gasser and drives great (Probably not nearly as good looking as A7).