Timing Belt Change

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A6 Avant BHW 6 speed manual, 2003 Golf ALH 506k miles
I've completed the manual swap into my BHW TDI, but I think it's time for a new timing belt service since I can't find any documentation from previous owners. I have all the special tools, and have changed many timing belts on gas 1.8ts, 4.2 V8's and even 5 cylinder diesels. What I want to know is if anyone has marked the old timing belt and sprockets so that the new timing belt can go into the exact position and the distances would be correct so as not to cause major interference destruction. I have used this method many times on other timing belts and not had any problems.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
That is never the correct way to time an engine. You sound like you're more than capable of doing the job correctly, which is great. Buy or rent the tools to do the job properly instead of the "mark & pray" method. I'm sure others will chime in as well. Some have the tools that will rent them to you, but they are really not that expensive. You'll also need VCDS to fine tune the torsion.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If you have the special tools, then use them to lock the crank and the cam in place properly when you change the belt....

Otherwise you may be living my avatar.

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I will use the tools to lock the cam and crank in place, but like vwztips writes it's nice to know that you are not one tooth off.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
You will figure that out during the process, but I have found marking helps avoid the possibility. I started doing that on 1.8t's because the timing marks were never dead on. It was always a half tooth off. If you lined the crank up on one side of the mark it was retarded and sluggish. Very annoying.......

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
I got everything back together, and the car runs fine, but the tensioner does not point to the notch anymore. It is a few degrees to the left (but not too far). Should loosen the nut and move the pointer to the notch again?