new shape golf sdi

biggy2003

hi iam buying a new shape golf sdi for my son as they are only group 4 insurance can abody tell me if the sdi are good or bad engine. and i live in the uk thanks alot

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
It's more or less that same engine as a TDI minus a turbocharger. So most benefits and issues inherent in the TDI excepting the turbocharger would similarly apply to the SDI. This would include timing belt replacement intervals, maintaining injecting timing to optimal values, possible MAF sensor issues, and the recommendation to use a synthetic Diesel oil.

Otherwise, the TDI has proven to be a very reliable engine. Note that two styles of SDI engine (actually 3) are available. There is a 1.7 SDI that is only for the Lupo, a 64HP 1.9 and a 68HP 1.9. I believe the increased power of the latter engine came about automatically after a certain model year (I believe it's 2000). An extra 4 horsepower is not much, but you take what you can in an SDI as your options to increase it are limited at best. You can chip an SDI in the same manner as a TDI, but your gains are much, much mnore modest.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
None specifically, but if you're looking for a tuning box, enquire to any of the TDI tuning box vendor outlets like Van Aaken, etc. A similar result can be achieved very cheaply via the "Evry mod". It should apply just the same to the SDI as on the TDI. Read up on the subject in the performance forums in a thread entitled "Chapagne [sic] performance on a beer budget." Be forewarned however, that going too far will result in a VERY smoky exhaust.

As for chip tuners, those available in the UK include Superchips, AmD, Wetterauer and a host of others. At best you can expect maybe 5-8 HP from tuning an SDI via a chip or box alone. Anything more will mean smoke out the tailpipe.

More traditional power enhancements like improved induction (head work, exhaust, intake, camshaft, etc.) will benefit an SDI just the same as any other normally aspirated engine, but to realise an increase in HP, you need to increase fuelling simultaneously.

Do a search on Google using "tuning VW SDI" as the keywords. One vender in France has a chip that claims to raise the HP in a Polo 1.9 SDI from 64-72.