oil light

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
After driving our new 2015 SEL for a month + the yellow oil light started flashing occasionally. I pulled over asap and checked the dipstick, plenty of oil. Also a message that oil needed to be changed appeared on the MFD at every start after the light started randomly flashing.

I called the dealership and they said it was OK to drive so I brought it in today at their request. They diagnosed the problem as too much oil, it was a bit above the hatched area on the dipstick. So they changed the oil and filter, reset the message and sent me on my way. The oil/filter had been changed at 120 miles when we bought it and the service writer said the tech had overfilled it. Strange thing was for the 1st 1000 miles the light/massage didn't appear. Oh well seemed fine on the way home.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
"Too much oil" seems to be pretty common on the 2015 engines. I suspect that the engine oil level increases gradually over time due to fuel dilution, which is why VW added the level sensor that reports both low and high oil levels.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
"Too much oil" seems to be pretty common on the 2015 engines. I suspect that the engine oil level increases gradually over time due to fuel dilution, which is why VW added the level sensor that reports both low and high oil levels.
I have never experienced this problem in 2 years....and I look at the stick often...only had to add oil 1 time between changes just had the 40 K done a couple weeks ago

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun

As I recall he level when we got the car after driving it home was just above the hatch marks. Obviously fuel dilution isn't desirable and perhaps it caused the light to come on.

In 3 weeks I'll be driving it to Oshkosh for AirVenture across Ontario into the UP of Michigan and then down to Wisconsin. I hope no issues.

Thankfully we have the 11Y 162K warranty on it.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
As I recall he level when we got the car after driving it home was just above the hatch marks. Obviously fuel dilution isn't desirable and perhaps it caused the light to come on.

In 3 weeks I'll be driving it to Oshkosh for AirVenture across Ontario into the UP of Michigan and then down to Wisconsin. I hope no issues.

Thankfully we have the 11Y 162K warranty on it.
I think having the oil filled to the very top of the hash marks leaves very little wiggle room for fuel dilution. Best practice would be to make sure it's only half way up the hash marks after an oil change, allowing for a few ounces of fuel dilution before tripping the "too full" warning.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
After the comments on this thread I did some Googling on diesel in engine oil with the EA288. Found not much, but, it did seem to me that there was some evidence that Biofuel/ or higher percentage of biofuel might have a higher propensity to dilute engine oil.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Biofuel will definitely increase the rate of fuel dilution, even in small percentages (B10, for example).

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
Biofuel will definitely increase the rate of fuel dilution, even in small percentages (B10, for example).

Where we buy our fuel nothing is posted about it being bio-diesel.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
The issue is that bio vaproizes at a higher temp, not that more gets into the oil. Normal diesel will vaporize at operating temps, and gets pulled out via the vapor recovery system . . . bio takes more heat and time, although it will come out if your driving habits are long runs at temp. Stop and go definitely can aggravate the problem with bio . . .

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
The issue is that bio vaproizes at a higher temp, not that more gets into the oil. Normal diesel will vaporize at operating temps, and gets pulled out via the vapor recovery system . . . bio takes more heat and time, although it will come out if your driving habits are long runs at temp. Stop and go definitely can aggravate the problem with bio . . .

interesting, thanks for the info. We use our eGolf for all local short trips. The diesel gets used on trips longer then 80 miles.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah . . . a lot of folks report oil dilution on the Cummins 6.7l turbodiesels as well (same basic emission strategy with post-injection to fire the DPF) . . . . either I am particularly lucky, have a really 'tight' engine, or can verify the above. I do mostly open road, and on long cross country trips, running whatever flavor of diesel/bio is on the route, and oil analysis shows undetectable dilution at change . . . the one time I did a lot of local driving, I did see a bit . . . ironically with a lower bio percentage . . . This is one of the things that the CCV system on a diesel handles that is often overlooked . . .

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Our gas stations here in Central IL have clear signs on the pumps: "Contains 5-20% Biodiesel." We will have owned our Passat TDI 4 years next week, and the oil level has been rock steady that whole time, and I check it regularly. Is it because I get a minimal amount? Do I have one of those "tight" engines? I dunno, i just fuel up at the same station (Thornton's) most of the time.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Our gas stations here in Central IL have clear signs on the pumps: "Contains 5-20% Biodiesel." We will have owned our Passat TDI 4 years next week, and the oil level has been rock steady that whole time, and I check it regularly. Is it because I get a minimal amount? Do I have one of those "tight" engines? I dunno, i just fuel up at the same station (Thornton's) most of the time.
Yup, our 13 was rock steady on the oil level as well, guess we'll see if the EA288 behaves differently. Again, I couldn't find anything really pointing to an oil dillution characteristic associated with the EA288 while Googling.

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)
Hmmm....my 2001 tdi (190K and my 2014 tdi (45K) never had issues with rising oil levels.
Is this an old wives tale or something?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
It can happen, but more typically with short hop/not up to temp much driving habits. The late injection for the DPF is not burned inthe cylinder, and some can get past the rings. It's not unique to the TDI either . . . and, as noted, I've not had a problem with it in any of my diesels to date either.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
"The late injection for the DPF is not burned in the cylinder". I'm confused, isn't the DPF injected quite a ways down stream of the engine in the exhaust pipe before the catalyst, so how would it get into the cylinder? Are you talking about the piston cylinder or something else?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Yup, our 13 was rock steady on the oil level as well, guess we'll see if the EA288 behaves differently. Again, I couldn't find anything really pointing to an oil dillution characteristic associated with the EA288 while Googling.
Question: If the engine is using (burning) oil at the exact rate of the amount of diluted fuel returned to the sump, wouldn't the oil level stay the same?

Discuss...

(only a UOA would determine this...)

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
No, during a regen raw fuel, for a microsecond or so, is shot near the end of the cycle, before the valve laps shut, and turbo boost is increased a fuzz to promote high filter Temps to reduce soot to ash.

I believe there's 5 or 6 injection periods per stroke?

One to reduce traditional piston clatter, one for the actual power pushing of the piston, one for regens, and others programmed for who know what else?

14,000# of fuel pressure and fast cycle injectors makes for a lot of programming fun...

But there always is the possibility of cylinder wash and fuel getting past the rings. Engine to engine comparisons sometimes people get an outstanding cast of a block and piston ring wear , and very little fuel gets into the oil.

I had a small block Gm that kept turning into and oil burner. Walls would disappear and the rings looked brand now. Bored and sleeved it, and still going strong. Just pulled a 15ton loaded trailer with it, 380,000 miles on those sleeves...

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
14,000# of fuel pressure and fast cycle injectors makes for a lot of programming fun...
Try doubling that. I would prefer a dedicated injector downstream of the turbo to post injection into the cylinders. Though I also never had any dilution issues.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Vcds on the 09 never went past 12000. Maybe it's changed on later models?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
"The late injection for the DPF is not burned in the cylinder". I'm confused, isn't the DPF injected quite a ways down stream of the engine in the exhaust pipe before the catalyst, so how would it get into the cylinder? Are you talking about the piston cylinder or something else?
Some diesels use downstream injectors, others (the TDI and Cummins I know for certain) use late injection on the main injectors during exhaust instead . . .

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Got it, I thought they were talking about the DEF injection, not injecting the diesel.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
Someone explain this to me please. The hierarchy is, egt, cat, and then dpf, in the exhaust stream. How can my egt and dpf temps be at 1200, while the cat is at 800 during a regen? I’m struggling to understand how the two ends of the system can be at 1200 while the middle is at 800.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The exhaust gasses cool as they leave the manifold. When they reach the dpf, the post injection fuel vapors (active regen), and trapped soot (all regens) combust and raise the exhaust temps again.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
The exhaust gasses cool as they leave the manifold. When they reach the dpf, the post injection fuel vapors (active regen), and trapped soot (all regens) combust and raise the exhaust temps again.
But isn’t post manifold pre turbo, aka egt? How does it cool post turbo (cat)and then reheat in the dpf?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
But isn’t post manifold pre turbo, aka egt? How does it cool post turbo (cat)and then reheat in the dpf?
EGTstands for exhaust gas temperature. There are three egt sensors at different locations in the exhaust path. The manifold and turbo are integrated into one unit on these cars. It is reheated in the dpf due to the regen fuel and soot combusting there.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
I understand that, and am monitoring all 3. Just doesn’t make sense how the first and last can be hotter than the second. EGT is pre turbo, CAT is post turbo, pre cat, and DPF is obviously the DPF which is last in line. If fuel were sprayed directly into the DPF it would make more sense. Anyways, not the end of the world, was just trying to better understand.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It makes perfect sense- you just aren't getting it. Why does a woodstove get hot? Because of the burning fuel inside.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
I get that. But if it’s burning before the turbo, and burning in the dpf, then it has to be burning at the cat. My best guess is it has to do with volume and back pressure, but that’s just a guess.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's not burning before the turbo (outside the cylinders). It's burning in the dpf. Along with the trapped soot (carbon).