lug nut size?

Vdub2000tdi

its retarded how VW's have "reverse" lug nuts. they arent really nuts they are bolts... well anyway i just got aftermarket rims for my 2000 jetta tdi. i was wondering if the lug "bolt" size is 14 X1.5 or 12X1.5 because i need to buy new lugs cause they need to be longer. and if you know is there a good site where i can get these....thanks a bunch

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Sorry, but even I'll agree with Vdub. It takes a little practice learning how to hold he wheel just right while you get a bolt in there. Studs are so much simpler.

Uproar

TDI
Passat
I have yet removed any of my new to me 2015 Passat wheels.
Are you saying that the lug bolts are left handed threads?
Thanks

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Stock bolts are M14x1.5x27. If you're running afermarket wheels you may also need a different shaped head on the bolt: "cone" versus "ball" for stock wheels. These guys used to have them: https://parts4vws.com/ But I don't know if they do anymore. Also try https://blackforestindustries.com/

FWIW, both Mercedes and BMW use bolts, too.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
these hangers are awesome.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-14x1-5...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Also the stock rims are [spherical or 'ball'] seat and basically all aftermarket are cone seat. Also there is a big diff between the 12 and 14 mm. the 14 is about a pinky. my bolt measures 13.8mm diameter. they made stud conversions. but the one hanger works well. have also seen the wheel doesnt stick to the hub as bad vs studs.

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
The ez way is to buy a 100mm long bolt and cut the head off.
Or learn how to use the lip on the hub to hang the wheel.
Do be careful about getting the right seat for your lug bolts.
I had to buy a countersink to ream my second hand wheels
when I got them. The kid had used ball seat bolts in a cone
countersunk wheel. They cleaned up ok but.

And lastly I HIGHLY recommend a good quality torque wrench and
learn how to properly tighten them, 85-90'#s, mine lives in the car.
The Jeep gets a 100'#s.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
Might get flamed, but I really think lug bolts are easier than studs.. Place the wheel on the hub, rotate until the bolt hole lines up, and thread the bolt. You don't have to place the wheel correctly since the hub holds it just fine. Bolts or studs, you have to keep pressure against the wheel until you see the first nut/bolt. I just like not having to line up the hole as I pick up and place the wheel.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'm not sure it's "retarded" at all. Have you owned any other German cars?
...or Swedish cars, or British cars, or Italian cars.... :p

Normally you would source suitable bolts for the wheels you are purchasing from the same place you are purchasing the wheels. ;)

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
You could always stud them. I used the allen headed studs on my mk1

Stock bolts are M14x1.5x27. If you're running afermarket wheels you may also need a different shaped head on the bolt: "cone" versus "ball" for stock wheels.
Mcgaurd makes some nice ball style locking nuts to go with the stud convertion.
I have yet removed any of my new to me 2015 Passat wheels.
Are you saying that the lug bolts are left handed threads?
Thanks
Anyone remember a short time period when Dodge/Chrysler ran both left handed and right handed threads on the same car?. Depending on which side.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Might get flamed, but I really think lug bolts are easier than studs.. Place the wheel on the hub, rotate until the bolt hole lines up, and thread the bolt. You don't have to place the wheel correctly since the hub holds it just fine. Bolts or studs, you have to keep pressure against the wheel until you see the first nut/bolt. I just like not having to line up the hole as I pick up and place the wheel.

An excellent summation of proper technique. I do have hangers that I use,
but then I've got wheel spacers as well to line up.
After a recent adventure on my "new" Jeep with a rusted lug nut that would NOT
remove, and the subsequent hassle, give me lug bolts every time. You can drill
off the head relatively easily.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
um...doesn't the car come with a wheel hanger? AND the wheels are hub centric.
agreed though, studs are easier. 2wd vanagons have studs in the back & bolts in the front. syncro vans are all studs. try mounting up an old "wide five" wheel with the tiny 12mm lug bolts if you think modern stuff is hard!

stock lug bolts are "small ball seat", unlike the older 14mm stuff which was "big ball seat".

if you're looking for high quality wheel hardware, you need to go to t3technique.com. dude knows his wheels and will take the time to make sure you get what you need.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I took an old bolt from a subframe removal that was 14x1.5 and about 100mm long, cut off the head and then ground down the threads on that end. Works perfectly as a wheel hanger.