p0401 code - 2009 Jetta TDI

freeman

TDI
2003 JSW, 2009 Jetta sedan, to 2013 Passat SEL
I have a 2009 early season Jetta TDI with slightly over 60000 miles. I had a HPFP failure shortly after 10000 miles and no problems since. I popped a CEL 12/2011 and took car into dealer (I live over 3 hours from the closest TDIclub recco shop). They replaced the EGR valve (for $400!) with the CEL coming back in less than 30 miles. They then replaced the DPF with the same result and then the catalytic converter (both under warrantry) again with the same result.

The dealer and techline were stumped and told me they would research further when the most experienced tech was back from cancer surgery :eek:. For the next month I a called back a couple of times and he was still sick. I suggested maybe a wiring harness problem but they wanted to wait for the tech to return. Then the left low beam headlight bulb went out. After replacing it, about 15 miles later the CEL was off and has remained off the last week. Thought it would be good info for the database. I did notice I am getting 2-3 mpg better with all the replacements.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
This isn't an answer to your question, but questions of my own:
1) Did you have a catastrophic failure of your HPFP? Did they replace the entire fuel system?
2) Why did they replace the DPF? Was it clogged? Did they tell you it was clogged, or were you experiencing frequent regenerations?
3) Did the EGR electric motor fail, or was the flapper corroded?
4) Were you using any fuel additive? If so, what kind? Was the oil changed regularly (10k) with 507 oil?

I'm not trying to annoy you with these questions, but you've had all the failures (except intercooler icing) that we all fear the most, and we're all trying to figure out cause, other than poor design. I hope your dealer has been doing the right thing, and not just throwing parts at the car.

Thanks in advance.

TJP37857

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI. 2009 Jetta TDI
Same issue.

I also have a 2009 Jetta TDI that I just bought on March 1st. The very next day I get a CEL code of P0401( EGR Valve). I had it cleared and it stayed off for several days and then came back on. I was wanting to get some things taken care of at dealer and scheduled to have them done and have this code check.
I was told by the dealer that my whole DPF system needed to be replaced at a cost of $4638 since I have 86000 miles on car and am beyond Emissions warrenty of 80000. I called VWoA and they refused to give me any help since I purchased it after the warrenty had expired. I am not seeing any kind of performance issues and fuel economy remains in the low to mid 40's.
I don't really believe that the DPF needs replaced, because of performance, fuel economy and the fact that the DPF light on dash has never come on only the CEL.
I am very interested to hear what you find out about your car in hopes that it may save me a few thousand $ and my desire to have a TDI.

dsieme01

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta Sedan
Run far and fast from the stealer. Lookup one of the gurus here. Get away from the stealer. Most of them don't have a clue and are way overpriced. I think vagcom has a measurement for dpf load and they would give a indication if it was plugged up.

freeman

TDI
2003 JSW, 2009 Jetta sedan, to 2013 Passat SEL
Hi Tdiatlast,

As far as I know the entire fuel system was replaced with the HPFP failure - it took two weeks.

I think they replaced the DPF and catalytic converter because that was the next thing to do after the EGR valve per the Tech bulletin. They did not tell me if there was any corrosion or not of the EGR., but it did not make any difference that I could tell. Oil changed every 10000 miles with 507.

I never had any problem with the car other than the CEL, it drove fine. I never noticed any increased regenerations. I did run a few tanks with some diesel that had PRI-D in it, but none in the last 20-30,000 miles. At the end I really think it was an electrical fault, maybe related to a voltage drain from the failing headlight. The CEL was present for weeks and I erased a couple of times but it returned until I replaced the headlamp bulb. Still no CEL two weeks later.

TJP37857

TDI
P0401 again

I took my 09 Jetta TDI to a TDIClub mechanic and he was sure it was just the EGR valve and replaced it a cost of just over $600 including labor. Two hours after leaving the shop the light came on again and when code was checked it was the same P0401 code.
The mechanic is brain storming and is trying to come up with a solution. I have had this car since March 1st and have already put $1400 in it. I am very disappointed with my VW. I wish somebody new what to do to fix it, instead of have me throw money at it.:confused:

TJP37857

TDI
My 09 Jetta TDI has been with the mechanic for over a week with no luck in figuring out what is throwing the code. He is doing all this work because he is determined to find the problem to save him time and aggrevation in the future. He is starting to believe that there is a possiblity that the DPF is getting full and limiting flow even though performance and mileage are not yet effected. He is going to try a few more things since he has a perfectly running 09 that he can trade parts with and experiment.

I am thinking of doing a EGR/DPF delete if it is the DPF. It will cost half as much as replacing the emissions system and will increase performance and fuel economy. I also might just drive it with the light on and hope that VW will do recall at some point since I am hearing that this is becoming a popular problem with the CR and their DPF systems since they are starting to get some mileage on them.

Does anyone have any opinions on this?

MotoWPK

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
My 09 Jetta TDI has been with the mechanic for over a week with no luck in figuring out what is throwing the code. He is doing all this work because he is determined to find the problem to save him time and aggrevation in the future. He is starting to believe that there is a possiblity that the DPF is getting full and limiting flow even though performance and mileage are not yet effected. He is going to try a few more things since he has a perfectly running 09 that he can trade parts with and experiment.

I am thinking of doing a EGR/DPF delete if it is the DPF. It will cost half as much as replacing the emissions system and will increase performance and fuel economy. I also might just drive it with the light on and hope that VW will do recall at some point since I am hearing that this is becoming a popular problem with the CR and their DPF systems since they are starting to get some mileage on them.

Does anyone have any opinions on this?
Only that it would seem that due to how recent the introduction of the current emissions control system is (beginning with MY2009) and relatively young age (by mileage and years) of this series, I would think that there is limited experience of these systems among the independent shops. Related, I expect the majority of MY2009+ owners take their vehicles to the dealer for maintenance, so the dealer's mechanics likely have more experience with these systems. Still, given the relative rarity of these issues even the dealers' mechanics likely have limited experience, but, they have access to those who do have the most by far...VW.

I just have to wonder how much knowledge the independent shops have in dealing with MY2009+ emission control systems.

jrm390

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I also have a 2009 Jetta TDI that I just bought on March 1st. The very next day I get a CEL code of P0401( EGR Valve). I had it cleared and it stayed off for several days and then came back on. I was wanting to get some things taken care of at dealer and scheduled to have them done and have this code check.
I was told by the dealer that my whole DPF system needed to be replaced at a cost of $4638 since I have 86000 miles on car and am beyond Emissions warrenty of 80000. I called VWoA and they refused to give me any help since I purchased it after the warrenty had expired. I am not seeing any kind of performance issues and fuel economy remains in the low to mid 40's.
I don't really believe that the DPF needs replaced, because of performance, fuel economy and the fact that the DPF light on dash has never come on only the CEL.
I am very interested to hear what you find out about your car in hopes that it may save me a few thousand $ and my desire to have a TDI.

My dealer just told me the same thing. Said I need to replace the entire exhaust. Except they quoted me $6500.... I haven't seen any decrease in performance or fuel mileage.

1972SS454

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 99.5 Jetta TDI
Which EGR valve does this code refer to? The HP EGR valve mounted in the intake piping or the LP EGR valve mounted in the EGR cooler?

If anyone needs replacements for any EGR or exhaust parts let me know. I have an extra full factory EGR and exhaust setup that are fully functional.

aflorey

TDI
1997 jetta tdi, 2001 jetta tdi, 2010 tdi wagon
I have a 2010 jetta tdi sportwagen with 50435 miles. My CEL has been coming on and off for 3/4 weeks. Mechanic found code p0401 egr insufficient flow. mattie vw is telling me that my warranty doesn't cover the egr, is this correct? any new advice?

Shayneco

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Bump. I'm having the same issues. Any answers. 10 tdi. P-0401. No coverage because 93xxx miles and coverage to 80k/8 yrs. say needs DPF replaced. $3000+ job.

TDI-B.O.B.

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
could you just swap in an aftermarket exhaust system? Don't beat up the new guy....I'm not sure....just asking... ;) I'm new at this tdi stuff. All I know is that my light came on for p0401, I cleared the code. It came on a day later...then I drove it harder in attempts to blow crap out of it, instead of light footing it for gas mileage....then my light went away. Dunno??????

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I have the same code, been coming on and off now over the past week or two. I am having the EGR/DPF delete done in about 2 weeks, would it be advisable to drive it during this time?

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Just got back from Canada on Sunday, car is running great now :) Had a complete exhaust kit put on at Rawtek, more power and better mileage. Used about half a tank on the way home from Toronto, about 360 miles. I didn't baby it at all on the way home, I kept it moving at a decent pace.