Best water pump?

GgOTi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI (Mickey)-RIP | 2011 335d-RIP | 2010 Jetta TDI (Merlin)-Returned to VW | 2001 Jetta TDI (The German)-SOLD
OK found out that DG is still selling the Laso Water pumps. Question: is it worth the extra $$ to get the Laso as opposed to one of the other metal impeller pumps?

Last edited:

VAG-Aficionado

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS (x2)2002 Jetta Wagon 2005 Passat Wagon
found this in the search to see if the Geba i recieved was a piece. I also didn't like the finish on the metal impeller. It was also machined off-center to the shaft, and is showing signs off corrosion just sitting in a box for a couple weeks. edit: the Geba also doesn't have the metal shroud around the bearing, like Laso or Saleri.
sorry for the crappy iPhone pics

Geba

Geba corrosion after a week (its the dark spots on the leading edge and on the fin)

Saleri (if its resin, i couldn't tell; and Napa list it as metal)

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I just did the timing belt on my daughter's 2.0 too slow at 132,000 as the resin impeller and exploded. I vote for metal for sure.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
VAG-Af:
i'd be interested in seeing those photos (they're not showing up :))

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I was pleased with the quality of the Hepu metal impeller water pump that came with the kit for my common rail. The casting quality looked more like the resin impeller pump that came out than some of the nasty castings shown earlier in the thread. One of those was pretty terrible.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
You bumped a thread that was dead for lo, these 7 years... Seriously? :rolleyes:
Folks are still replacing water pumps on 1.9-liter TDIs. And it is still likely that some water pumps are better than others.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I'm pretty sure there are no brass impellers available in the US anymore. Dieselgeek sells the Hepu with a steel impeller. Cascade German only says "metal impeller." ID Parts has a Geba water pump with a steel impeller, and also a remanufactured OEM pump with a resin composite impeller. Marquette Automotive aka MetalManParts.com sells Hepu, or Geba water pumps with a steel impeller. This information is for the 1.9-liter ALH engine; perhaps there are different parts suppliers for other TDI generations.

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Where you purchase lasso brass water
pump
Holy neco-thread. I have seen VERY, VERY few in years and 2500 timing belts ago. HEPU, GRAF, SALAREI all have no issues. If there is a leak, you nicked the seal putting it in.