What clutch to install??

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Hi guys, I'm getting the parts together to do the 5 speed swap in my early 05 TDI and I'm having difficulty deciding what clutch would be the best fit for me.. the car has a stage 2 Malone and EGR delete etc.. Theres a possibility ill do more power upgrades in the future but I'm not planning on anything crazy. What do you guys recommend? I was looking @ the south bend stage 2 daily but the price is a little more than id really like to spend, on the other hand if I'm gonna tear the stock clutch out in 6 months ill gladly put something heavier in right off the bat.. Glad for any suggestions! THanks

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
I love my Valeo single mass 228 clutch and flywheel kit - used it on 3 different swaps and had zero issues...clutch was confirmed to hold 215awhp and 300ft lbs...at those numbers it didn't look like it was starting to slip either but we didn't push it to the limits...

some people here will say that's a bad idea because the SMFW will damage your transmission but I've seen no evidence to back that up...my B7 A4 looooves it - the transmission runs great and honestly for the cost you can't go wrong...it works with your stock starter as well...I have zero vibrations from that setup - it's a nice heavy FW

complete kit for $350 - not too shabby

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-valeo-parts/clutch-kit-with-single-mass-flywheel/52285615~val/

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I tried a Single Mass G60/VR6 Combo and it slipped when I had a few mods. Then in 2012 I went to a Single Mass South Bend Stage 2 Endurance and it doesn't slip with the latest power upgrades.

I just installed a replacement after 5+ years as the clutch disc broke. South Bend sent me a new kit under warranty! Totally unexpected and very happy with their support!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
stage2.5 SBC enduroance clutch is awesome and about the same feel to it but is about the biggest clutch you can go with that is easily street driven on hills. i have no complaints about mine.

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
That valeo clutch seems decent for the money.. Good to know the G60/Vr6 is a little light. Can the same starter be used with the south bend stage 2?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
i dropped my AHU mk3 from stock flywheel to a 11lb and it was not that difficult to drive. I had to relearn how to go on hills but took me 1 week. only thing i noticed was a 100rpm drop in idle speed, i love that sound, and that i can actually stall the engine out now while starting in 1st but not even close to a gas engine.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
That valeo clutch seems decent for the money.. Good to know the G60/Vr6 is a little light. Can the same starter be used with the south bend stage 2?
Verify holding power of a clutch and be sure that it's going to be capable for the power that you're expecting to achieve. I'd recommend talking to (supporting) vendors. I'm currently looking at a newly installed clutch that I'm not sure whether it's going to hold up over the long run: clutch has been known to hold under similar mods for many people, but some say newer ones aren't as robust: had I not been looking for a soft clutch for my wife I'd have installed the same DC Stage 1 clutch and never had another bit of worry. BTW - A DC Stage 1 clutch is on par with the SB Stage 2 (but it's a bit less expensive).