Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
On a recent road trip I pulled up to a Murphy's next to a guy filling up a Cummins. As I start fuelling the guy says, "hey that's the wrong fuel" Since I think he means I shouldn't be using diesel I smile and tell him it's a diesel car, a little more condescending than really needed to be honest.

He says " No I'm meant it's B20 and VW doesn't want you using more than B5". Well after a little blushing over how I responded to his initial comment and discussing how cheap the Murphy's was to everyone else we both finish fueling and take off.

Lesson here is never assume someone doesn't know as much as you do about your car.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
It was chaos at Murphy's express today(Diesel $3.48 RUG $3.31). On my 3rd trip around the pumps I finally see an opening and a tandem dump truck pulls in in front of me(auto diesel pump). I got out and stood by my JSW to wait. He said "you need to get here pointing to the gas pump he was also blocking. I said "diesel" and pointed at my car. After he left(two trips in the store) I finally got to the pump. On the other side of the pump a texan driving a Ford super duty p.u. and towing a flatbed with a heavily modified jeep pulled up. He unloaded 5 fuel cans and proceeded to fill up both vehicles with different fuels. I said that I was to paranoid to try that and maybe get the hoses confused. Oh well Memorial Day weekend and starting week number 2 with a cold.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Also helps catch when the delivery driver puts gas in the wrong holding tank.

I filled up this weekend at a Shell. Typical small station with the Auto Diesel pumps between two gas pumps. Anyway the two people filling were pulled all the way up like they should and I still had to squeeze in to reach the diesel pump. That put me a couple inches off the bumper of a CTS-V. About the time I'm almost finished pumping and topping off the owner of said Cadilac finally comes back out from the mini mart and pauses for a moment looking at his bumper and my car. Looked for moment like he might get rich man syndrom. After a moment and realizing I was pumping diesel he pulled up a little to put is purchase in the trunk and left without a word.

Why can't they put the Diesel pump on the end or at least have combo pumps! :(

Jason

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I'm always parking far from other vehicles.

Seems like when the cars are super clean and shiny that people almost purposely try to damage them with door dings and crap. When they are dirty nothing happens....but I still park far away.

I also check my bumpers when cars look really close. I despise people who park by touch...thankfully I haven't had that happen yet....but I've seen it done.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I also check my bumpers when cars look really close. I despise people who park by touch...thankfully I haven't had that happen yet....but I've seen it done.
i think a subaru driver did that to my a6. i need to bring a tape measure and measure the screws on its front plate and that chip in the clear on the rear bumper.

kuleinc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDi, 1998 New Beetle TDi, 1.8T powered 87 Westy Vanagon
There IS another way, go park somewhere else, take the hint.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
There IS another way, go park somewhere else, take the hint.
well if you want to help me lift my car and slide it over so that I can park elsewhere, be my guest

what I'm saying is that driving by braille is completely acceptable when the affected parties are inconsiderate when they are parking near you

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I would be very annoyed if I got penned in like that, but I wouldn't want to ding up my bumpers to get out either. I think my head would explode.:) Hopefully my wife would be with me and she could help to get me out without touching the other cars.

Personally I always make sure there is space for the guy in front and behind to get out. I don't mind walking if I have to park further away.

Gaaa...dam fire alarm just went off. So much for getting any work done this morning. :rolleyes:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It all depends on where you're at. My understanding is that this is common practice in New York City since on street parking is so limited. It also depends on who was there first. If I come out of the store to find my car penned in to the point that I'm not sure I can get out, then I am very tempted to drive by braille with smoking tires. Haven't done it because I still like my car the way it is. Also ticks me off when someone parks so close to me that I can't get in my car.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I would be very annoyed if I got penned in like that, but I wouldn't want to ding up my bumpers to get out either. I think my head would explode.:) Hopefully my wife would be with me and she could help to get me out without touching the other cars.
This happened to me twice in my younger years, where in both cases the car that penned me in was a happy coincidence of circumstances: last car in the row, manual transmission, and no handbrake. In the first case, a driveway was behind the idiot who penned me in. I simply gently backed up to his bumper, then pushed his car so that it fully blocked the driveway.

The second case was even more fun: I was parked on a side street off one of the busiest boulevards in Montreal (de Maisonneuve for those in the know). I waited until the light was green for my street, then gently reversed onto his bumper, and pushed his car so that it was completely in the middle of the intersection, and drove off :D

Ya I was a nasty piece of work in my youth :cool:

But I would have loved to have been there to see 1) his/her car being towed away, and 2) the look on his/her face when showing up to either no car, or the car in the middle of the intersection :p

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
I always get questioned when pre-paying for diesel. Every time they look outside and then say "sir, you know that is a diesel pump correct?"

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
When I pay, I just say "Pump number x, Diesel, please". Nobody has questioned me.

eddjmemg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
well if you want to help me lift my car and slide it over so that I can park elsewhere, be my guest

what I'm saying is that driving by braille is completely acceptable when the affected parties are inconsiderate when they are parking near you

When you pull in ALWAYS give yourself the room to be able to pull out just in case.

Once upon a time I parked, but was the only car on the street. Hours later after going bar hoping (DD of course?) I saw that 2 cars parked within an inch front n rear. Well there was plenty of room behind the car behind me and with the power I had in my 5.0 Mustang I moved the car behind me. Left a "nicely worded" note with my number for them to call me if they had an issue because if them being a holes. Never got the call. This was well over a decade ago too. Still waiting. I have insurance. Lol

2011 Jetta TDI

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Awesome movie^^^^^
Kathy bates is an amazing actress

Sent from my POS iPhone

PacketHauler

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI 6M, 2013 Jetta TDI DSG w/ Prem (retired)
Seen at a BP station in Florida. This is the result of people thinking "green handle = diesel fuel":

You mean the octane stickers aren't a dead giveaway? I think the handles at the BP stations around here are green too for gasoline.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
In a cross country drive, I successfully pumped diesel fuel from black, green, & yellow pump handles (and there are probably other colors I didn't see). Handle color is meaningless! Anyway, at least this station was nice enough to put that big "NOT A DIESEL PUMP" in big letters on the front of the pump. My guess is that they have had problems with misfueling in their past (either this station or BP).

Have Fun!

Don

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
My question is why the separate pump for 89... Do you get pure 89 out of the single pump and a mix of 93 and 87 on the combo pump... Makes no sense

Edit: it says no ethanol on the single 89 pump... But still makes no sense... Why no ethanol for 89, why not for 93

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Not Diesel? Really? It says "2" right on the pump!!!!

(Which brings up the question: are "2" not D2 ?)

Yuri.

(I guess I need more sleep if my brain works like this...)

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
My question is why the separate pump for 89... Do you get pure 89 out of the single pump and a mix of 93 and 87 on the combo pump... Makes no sense

Edit: it says no ethanol on the single 89 pump... But still makes no sense... Why no ethanol for 89, why not for 93
That separate pump is probably for pumping gas for small engines. Ethanol can do some bad things to older small engines.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat

Boat gas. 89 is the lowest octane most boats use. Higher octane equals higher price.

Last edited:

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Old Navy is back on Fred's, how is that Mercedes treating you?
Man it was 11 years and 11 months ago I posted my first comment here. :eek:

Well the E Class CDI was replaced by a Chrysler van and today the van was replaced by a Ram Big Horn 1500 EcoDiesel that's recommended if possible to use at least B10, 8 quarts of synthetic oil, 3 micron fuel filter with drainable water separator and 26 gallon fuel tank, 400 plus flb of torque, through 8 speed MB tranny to 355 traction lock rear axle. :D

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
That separate pump is probably for pumping gas for small engines. Ethanol can do some bad things to older small engines.
Actually ethanol greater than 10% is the culprit as small engines are only made to handle that maximum percentage of ethanol. Never had a problems with small engines and 10% or less ethanol in gasoline.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Huh, that's interesting... But why can't boats run ethanol? The small engine thing I can understand, but then my question is why 89 for small engines...

TDIRoady

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 6-speed auto (DSG) w/Sun & Nav, Moonrock Silver Metallic, Cornsilk Beige
Was just in Pa and stopped at a station that sold diesel but I kept circling the pumps looking for the one with diesel. Finally I realized it was at a separate pump island around the side. After pulling in and almost starting to fill the attendant came running out saying "I saw you at the other pumps and this is for diesel only". I let her know I need diesel and she asked "OK, but are you sure"? :eek:
I do appreciate her willingness to make sure I knew what I was doing. I think most would have stayed indoors and figured, "it's their problem, not mine".