Help removing VNT actuator from ALH without removing turbo

DaveLinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I'm replacing the turbo actuator on my car, and I've removed the two 10mm nuts holding the actuator "ball" on, but I can't seem to get the circlip off. I have the car on a lift so I can stand under it and see the whole actuator (although it's still hard to get to)

Surely I don't have to pull the turbo to swap the actuator?

Will the circlip come off if I try to pop it off with a screwdriver, or will it spin? Any advice?

DaveLinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Yep, I've been using the writeups on there like the bible; extremely useful.

But as far as removing the clip goes, all it has is "There is a small clip holding the rod to the lever arm, remove it." :)

How would you recommend removing that clip with the turbo on the car? Screwdriver?

rackaracka

Veteran Member
I had a tough time removing that when replacing the actuator on a 99 Jetta TDI that I work on. I left it there and disassembled the linkage instead. I just reused the end of the linkage.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
I had a tough time removing that when replacing the actuator on a 99 Jetta TDI that I work on. I left it there and disassembled the linkage instead. I just reused the end of the linkage.
ditto that

DaveLinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
The only problem I have with that is I will be unable to match the length of the new actuator rod to the old one, as per the instructions. I guess it's do-able as a last resort though.

Street Toys

Veteran Member
TDI
sold
Yep, I've been using the writeups on there like the bible; extremely useful.

But as far as removing the clip goes, all it has is "There is a small clip holding the rod to the lever arm, remove it." :)

How would you recommend removing that clip with the turbo on the car? Screwdriver?
Hello DaveLinger,:)

Just either use a small screwdriver or dental pick and hold a little magnet next to the clip so when it comes off you have a better chance of retrieving it.:)

Nick/StreetToys

rackaracka

Veteran Member
I adjusted the locknut to a similar number of threads on the new actuator arm, and then adjusted the linkage using a mightyvac checking the vnt movement starting at 4 and fully opened at 18 if I recall.

DaveLinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I marked the locknut and threads under it with fingernail polish. Once it's set, I'll remove the actuator from the upper arm as suggested.

dale_p

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
DaveLinger: I don't know if you got the e-clip off but I took off the EGR and removed the e-clip from the top with a pair of small pliers, actually they were my mini-leatherman. Putting the e-clip back on was a pain make sure you have a couple handy in case you lose one.

I'm trying to adjust actuator right now, but my hand vacuum only seems to pump to 13 inHg and I thought I had the original and new actuator matched. But alas I'm getting overboost conditions in VCDS, so it's trial and error for me. Takes a while as I have to let the engine cool before I adjust the actuator, I burnt my thumb earlier trying to adjust it before letting it cool.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
i used a scribe to pop that clip off...beware, it likes to bounce/fly in odd far away places or get stuck in the tightest spots on your subframe. Keep a magnet, mirror, and flashlight handy incase it does take flight and you need to search for it.

its kind of a pain to put back on because it takes a bit of pressure to snap it in place and due to the tight working space it can take a few attempts to reinstall.

chada

TDI
tdi jetta 2000 silver gls
Mine broke when removed via considerable wiggling--and left about a quarter of it behind which eventually fell out after more wiggling. Of course, I dropped the new one when I almost had it on, and now I can't find it!!

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I did TommyT "s up at the Ho5G GTG back it June and while it was a bit of a pain ( I have have many with out a problem) I find a Pick as stated above but one that is bent about 1/2 inch from the end into a L shape. It lets me get in with enough pressure to get it off.

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
One way to keep from losing the circlip is to get a couple of feet of regular thread. Thread the thread through the clip and tie a quick knot. The other end can be tied around a convenient bolt, hose, etc.

That way when it comes flying off, it'll be tethered and won't disappear across the garage.

Keep the thread on the circlip as you install it, so if it slips off as you install it you can find it.

After you're done, snip off the thread.

hugho

TDI
red 2002 vw Jetta wagon 250K miles, MT
I'm replacing the turbo actuator on my car, and I've removed the two 10mm nuts holding the actuator "ball" on, but I can't seem to get the circlip off. I have the car on a lift so I can stand under it and see the whole actuator (although it's still hard to get to)

Surely I don't have to pull the turbo to swap the actuator?

Will the circlip come off if I try to pop it off with a screwdriver, or will it spin? Any advice?
I had a devil of a time trying to remove the circlip from my bad actuator. I tried from the top and from the bottom. Mind you I have a real professional car lift and great light, all manner of tools. I could grab the clip but could not rotate it such that I could pop a small screwdriver to release it. After messing with it top and bottom I decided to use a small chisel to wedge it sideways and break it into pieces. This is the easiest and quickest way since you are likely to not reuse a clip if it flies into outer space or is corroded.