View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2018, 09:44   #1298
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthe View Post
This is not universally true. I have two (non-TDI) vehicles that were declared totaled by the insurance company (and show as such in VIN searches) but the Maryland MVA continues to register them. The damage was mostly cosmetic and I was able to pay for the repairs out-of-pocket for less than the insurance company settlement, but I never had to get a salvage inspection.
This is a prime example of the issues when dealing with totaled vehicles, every state is different.
I didn't say anything about being able to register your car, but without a doubt your original, clean title is no longer valid even if you still have it in your hand. Your state may not require you to turn it in, but if you sell your car with that old title and fail to disclose its status you would be committing a crime.

While every state will handle what they do with titles differently, all states are going to require an insurance company report a total loss claim to them and just because you happen to physical hold some paperwork in your hand it's not safe to assume you didn't relinquish certain rights to the vehicle when you claim a total loss.

Last edited by bizzle; March 9th, 2018 at 09:47.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06253 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 16.15 Kb. compressed to 14.43 Kb. by saving 1.72 Kb. (10.64%)]