iphone Connector For Jetta TDI?

bryanviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
hello,

Just picked up a 2011 Jetta TDI and it has an Aux port, now I have seen Aux connectors that just plug into the headphone jack and you get music over your car speakers.

However I was wondering if there is a Aux to the big/flat connector on the bottom of the iphone (iphone 4 in this case) that will allow me to listen to music on the car speakers & charge my phone at the same time?

Thanks

Griffin42

TDI
2011 Jetta
You can get a 12 volt adaptor and use the bluetooth for Ipod or Pandora/app functions. It works great. I personally have my Ipod in the glove box and and do the above for the Iphone.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
I thought all Jetta sedan TDI's came with either the Premium 8 or the Nav package so it should have come with the cable in the glovebox.

Also, gotta say that streaming music via bluetooth is pretty good. Sometimes hard to get working right away. I make sure my iPhone is connected via BT, start music on iPhone and make sure the AirPlay (rectangle with solid triangle) is checked for VW phone. Then I can press the media button (I have Nav and not sure what might be the equivalent on Premium 8) and switch the BT audio. Sometimes those steps aren't required but others they are - when I press media and it says no media available those are the steps I take.

But overall it seems like good audio quality through BT. I like using the NPR app to listen stream car talk episodes from two weeks back. Also occasionally for music if I am not liking what is on.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
hello,

Just picked up a 2011 Jetta TDI and it has an Aux port, now I have seen Aux connectors that just plug into the headphone jack and you get music over your car speakers.

However I was wondering if there is a Aux to the big/flat connector on the bottom of the iphone (iphone 4 in this case) that will allow me to listen to music on the car speakers & charge my phone at the same time?

Thanks
Your jetta should have came with a cord like this in the glove box, if it didnt go back to the dealer.....
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_VI-Sedan-TDI/Interior/Stereo/ES265075/

Outrider6

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2011
iPod/iPhone Use in a VW

My experiences are based on an '11 JSW w/ RNS-315 Navigation/Stereo. The car came with an MDI cable which hooks up into a receptacle under the center armrest. The iPhone/iPod end is a standard 30 pin male docking connector.

I find the MDI interface that VW uses with iPods to be a bit clunky. VW's head units don't mimic the iOS control very well--the iPod's built in controls find songs and playlists more quickly than the VW interface does. I had great hopes for MDI, but I find I rarely use it--only if I need a charge and my 12V charger has gone missing. (Three kids and a wife...)

I use my iPhone to play music via Bluetooth as well as using the VW handsfree phone interface. This makes the most of each device's best capabilities, but the downside is that I have to use an accessory iPod/iPhone charger and my phone is always bouncing around the car somewhere.

Sound is better to my ears over Bluetooth than sound routed through the 30 pin connector on the bottom of the iPhone/iPod. Play is controlled through the iOS, not through the built in controls on the steering wheel. (Which is too bad, but that seems to be an Apple imposed limitation--no other devices can do this with iOS, either.)

Phone over Bluetooth works great--much better than the iPhone's built in speakerphone. Watch out for "*****in' Betty," though. VW's notification voice is quite loud.

Last edited:

bryanviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
That could be....I'm not familiar with the Comfortline TDI model. In the states we have the TDI LE - no sunroof and that still has the touchscreen stereo I believe.

I also use the BT features of the car to stream music and for phone. But if you don't have the touchscreen radio not sure you have BT. I just put phone in cup holder.

Last edited:

bryanviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
yea I dont think we have bluetooth.

Our lowest model does not have sunroof unfortunately OR come with the touch screen.... we get screwed again up here lol

bryanviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
yea I dont think we have bluetooth.

Our lowest model does not have sunroof unfortunately OR come with the touch screen.... we get screwed again up here lol

Surrylic

TDI
White 2011 VW Jetta TDI, Manual
That's surprising, and I could be wrong - I'm certainly no expert, but as far as I know in the US every TDI comes with the touchscreen stereo and iPod/Phone port.

Like we have three versions - Standard (that comes with the Prem 8 stereo), Standard with sunroof (mine), and the navigation package. Correct me if I'm wrong please :p

Silly Canada!

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Surrylic - I think you are correct for US models.

Although, it would be nice if there was a Jetta S (Comfortline) equivalent TDI for the US market. I think people would buy it. VW....just give us the option.

xtu1963

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Surylic is right. I have the low-end 2011 Jetta (no sunroof, no nav) and mine came with the touchscreen stereo, bluetooth and the iPod/iPhone cable. The voice command voice is very loud comapred to the volume of the phone. Next month I am putting in a Pioneer AppRadio, which will solve all the problems with the Premium-8 and give me navigation.

DrftrTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI - 2 Hands 2 Feet (6MT) - Black on Black
...The voice command voice is very loud comapred to the volume of the phone.

I have been saying this for a while now...I absolutely agree! I also find a nuisance in having to wait up to 5mins for the BT to connect with my phone (iPhone 4). I can make a phone call almost immediately (or as far as I can tell), but when I try to play music through BT i.e. "Media" it takes a few mins for the song to start coming through. I have to wait, or hit play/pause a few times.