Head porting pictures

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Recently, I've seen people post pics of head, showing the porting done but I can't find the threads anymore. If you have any pics to post or links to pics, would you mind sharing them on this thread?

I would appreciate it and I'm sure others would too.

Thanks!

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Thanks for the pics and links. If anyone has pics they don't want to share publicly, you can PM me and will not share them with anyone.

Thanks!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
How much material is actually removed from the ports? Every intake port I have seen appears to just be smoothed out.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
All the above ports look like they have had very little material removed from them - just a bit of polishing and smoothing out any rough edges.

I think the intake ports are pretty good "as is". Not that there can't be improvements in flow rate by porting, but at the cost of intake charge swirl. In Alex22's thread where he had both flow and swirl measurement there was significant loss in swirl at low to mid valve lifts where the valve spends most of it's time.

The exhaust ports have quite a bit of room for improvement in my opinion.

Here's what I did on my head

Intake

Exhaust

apomiett

Veteran Member
TDI
A2 mTDI
Hello.
Do you want pictures of pd or ve head? I have few $hitty pics of a ported pd head and can take pictures of a head disection. I`m porting a ve style head at the moment so i can take pictures of that also.
How much material is actually removed from the ports? Every intake port I have seen appears to just be smoothed out.
I totally agree. Most pictures that i have seen in this forum only show minor pocket porting which has very little effect and to my opinion are totally worthless for the cost and effort. :rolleyes:

Alex22

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Most of the pictures I've seen either show now useful parts of the modified port or show the ports with no noticeable work done. For the average person porting I would say a polish job on the intake and the exhaust is pretty straight forward. The most noticeable difference I saw was the combination if valve shape/back angles and the valve seat profile.
~Alex

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Hopefully I'll receive my AHU head soon so I can start porting. Lots of what I can see in some of the pictures is clean up work, not much for increasing the size of the ports. What about the bowl area on the intake and exhaust ports? Just clean up and smooth inside of there?

How close is it to the ALH head Matt showed chopped up to what an AHU head will be?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'll be taking some pictures to get better comparisons, but take a look at these two intake bowls from FUB and GTITDI
FUB pic, unported

GTiTDi ported

Looks like a little of the bump near the valve guide is removed. How much of this can be opened up and still maintain swirl? Other than smoothing of the intake bowl and port, what else can be done here?

How much of the red here actually get removed on the exhaust port?

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Not a whole lot input, all secrets to porting? Here is the spot I am proposing to open up.

The port on GTiTDi's head appears to have this part removed.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Jon - Can you post a picture of the intake port at a different angle - maybe a little more from the side? - something in the picture does not look right (Like there's a huge ledge in red compared to the intake port to the right).

The intake port on the right (not red) looks quite a bit different than my ALH intake ports. I defer back to Alex22's work where there were "significant" reductions in swirl with any major changes in porting at useable valve lifts (under 0.400"). The most gains were had with valve seat angles and back cutting the valves per Alex. This is also on an AHU head so comparisons may not be 100% accurate.

Regarding the exhaust port - I outlined in Green more/less what I did.

There was quite a bit of "hourglass" shape right above the exhaust seat which I removed completely so the port is the seat ID all the way up to the ceiling. This was on the sides of the port as well as the outside radius as well so it's a lot of material to remove all the way along the port. I kept the valley's on either side of the guide, just made them deeper and wider and blended them into the wider walls. The outside radius is probably a little sharper than I drew in the picture - Follow the outside of the green line in the vertical areas and the inside of the green line in the horizontal areas. To match the port on the exhaust gasket the "floor" on the short side radius was lowered. In hindsight, maybe I would have left short side radius alone (where the red stops in the picture) and tapered the floor out to the gasket dimension. Basically connect the end of your red line to the end of my green line. The crossection was enlarged significantly on the outside radius so there was probably little benefit (and probably some detriment) to taking as much out of the short side as I did.

This is all just my intuition - I have no data to back this up. For all I know I reduced flow in the exhaust port.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Here's some pictures of what I was trying to describe above on the exhaust ports

Unported

Ported

Unported

Ported - this is not complete, but 80% of the way there - there was more material removed from the sides deep in the port. For some reason I didn't get pictures when I was done

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks for the pics and info! Its very difficult to get a picture of it but so easy to see with the naked eye.
I colored red, around the corner to depth of what I'm proposing removing.

Its like the port is round, like GTiTDi's pic, up until the part in red, it bumps out from the side into the bowl. I will try to get better pictures. I wish I had completed the CMM training at work, I'd model it 3d ;)

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
After staring at it for a while I think I "see" it. That's one of those areas where removing material might help or hurt.

If it helps balance the flow around the valve by providing restriction in that area (compared to the short side where the air just skips over), removing it might hurt overall mass airflow at certian lifts because all the air tries to go to one side of the valve instead of all the way around.

If it's just a swirl inducing feature, than removing it might improve overall mass airflow but at the sacrifice of swirl/tumble.

As you can see, I'm not a fan of messing with the intake ports unless you know what's going on. For some reason I don't think the exhaust port is as sensitive and didn't have any problem modifying it with no supporting data. I don't know why.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I did a little work on the head last night. I removed the bump I outlined above, here is a better representation of what I did(pic stolen from Whitbread)

Blended the red area into the green and cut it back a hair to make it straight shown in blue, just not that extreme.

FUB, I see what you did with the exhaust port now, I should be able to get started on that soon.