Looking at alh need help!

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
My 2 cents on the 5th gear swap is that it's not worth it. The difference in NVH will be somewhat material, but the change in fuel economy, while real, won't be sufficient to pay for the parts and time investment for an extremely long time, if ever. At very high speeds nearly all of the fuel economy impact is from aerodynamics, which of course changing a gear ratio doesn't alter.

I don't find the existing 5th gear ratio inappropriate for 80mph sustained highway speeds, which is as fast as you can travel nearly everywhere legally in the United States. I decided a long time ago to leave it alone as there is some risk of fretting-based failure of the replacement gear associated with this change as well.

These engines have no problem running at higher RPMs and in fact NOT being driven like you stole it tends to cause problems over time (mostly due to gunking up the turbo actuator if it is not regularly exercised.)

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
^^ Pretty much as I've found (though I'll keep my 6spd in the one car:D). My car's sweet spot is right around 2,200 rpm, that's where FE tends to be the best- I think that this gets me about 65mph (max speed limit around here is 70mph). The 6spd would need to run about 75mph, which, I'm thinking (have not got my UltraGauge calibrated in this car yet), probably gets me about the same FE that my car gets at 65mph. Most of my driving is 60-65mph, so my car with its stock 5spd is actually better suited.

Twitch

TDI
2003 gls jetta tdi 5 speed
Okay plan on changing out the thermostate after work today and see if that will fix my problem of not getting up to operating temp when i do the timing belt probably once its spring i plan on doing timing belt and cleaning the intake manifold if it needs to be cleaned since ill be that far into the engine already along with every fluid getting changed so i know its all fresh still need to meet up my buddy and hook up vcds and make sure everything is running 100% but thank for all the helpful information i would like to eventually add some power to the car but now just need it running reliably

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The thermostat is somewhat of a pain -- it's actually very accessible but the housing is right on top of the alternator, which will get flooded -- so cover it. Drain the radiator and oil cooler first to reduce the amount of coolant loss (and thus makeup required.)

Remember that you NEED VW-specific coolant for these cars -- DO NOT attempt to use "parts store" coolant in them! BAD THINGS happen if you mix them.....

Twitch

TDI
Changed the t state after work yesterday and there is orange coolant and i bought pink coolant so i just replaced what dumped out some dirt came out too so when i do the timing belt going to flush it with water and replace with all fresh coolant the t state wasnt hard at all to get to took maybe 20 mins harder to get it back in then to take out also put the car on the lift and everything is very clean underneath exhaust has been fixed at some point was able to drive the car to work today and did 75-80 down the highway with no issues at all only one speaker works tho i have th monsoon system plan on replacing the speakers sometime in the next week and my fuel gauge is wayy off going to do a sending unit i filled up put 150 miles on the trip and already reading close to half tank Thanks for all the help

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
That's bad news if there's orange stuff in there. And all pink is not the same either; GM has a pink coolant (it's in my '02 Suburban and was the factory fill) that is NOT compatible with the VW stuff.

You need to flush the system immediately and get the mixture out of there; you may have severe sludging, but if you some "dirt" what that really was is coolant sludge, and if it plugs up the radiator or worse, passages in the engine, you're in a LOT of trouble. Never mind that if the heater core gets clogged you're looking at a full day to remove the dash to get to it so you can replace it. FIX THAT RIGHT NOW.

G13 is compatible with the G12 that was the factory fill. OTHERS ARE NOT.

Last edited:

Twitch

TDI
I cant justify going to the dealer biggest rip off qnd scumbags in the auto world advanced auto gave me the pink pentofrost stuff which says is compatible with the vw stuff if anything will pick up 2 gallons mix it and drain my coolant car seems to be running fine and hate to waste coolant just to dump it and replace again in the mext couple 1000 miles which is only couple weeks for me

Twitch

TDI
Pentofrost sf-g12 the pink colored stuff is what the parts store gave me if thats the correct stuff i will pick up another bottle mix it 50/50 and flush the system and put a 50/50 fresh mix in

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Yep -- that's fine. Use distilled water for the mix, NOT tapwater (ever!)

The G13 (newer formulation) is superior but G12 is perfectly acceptable.

Twitch

TDI
Okay ill run to wally world get 2 gallons of distilled water after i flush it and fill with the pink coolant PROTECT THE BOOBIES lol and fill it back up how are these cars with hidden air pockets do i need to purge the system at all

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Leave the cap off the coolant bottle when you start up; coolant will flow out of the return hose at the top of the bottle. It will drop materially on startup, and keep doing so -- then level off.

Then go get it good and warm, and drive it for a while, and it will probably drop again some.

I recommend filling to the BOTTOM of the "ok" band on the bottle, not in the middle or top. Why? Because then it's very easy to know if you're losing any to leaks. It may take a couple of small top-ups after a full flush and fill, and be aware that a full flush will NOT get all the water out, so my protocol for that is:

1. Flush with tapwater (since you need a lot to really flush) after draining what you can for taking it to your local hazmat disposal.

2. Drain as fully as possible.

3. Flush AGAIN, this time with distilled. Use at least five gallons. Yes, that's $5 -- so what? You now have nearly-solid distilled water in what won't drain. Drain again.

4. Now add the proper amount of COOLANT to make a 50/50 mix. The capacity is listed as 6 liters, so add 3 liters of undiluted COOLANT to the "empty" (it ain't) system. Now top with DISTILLED water until full. You now have a 50/50 mix.

5. Run the engine for a while. The level will drop. Add DISTILLED WATER for makeup, since you already added the correct amount of "neat" coolant. Repeat until you have a stable level in the bottle, which may take a couple of iterations.

Twitch

TDI
Thank you for all the help i have A LOT of 5 gallon buckets so plan on just draining coolant stick garden hose into the bottle fill up run car for 5 mins repeat till the water is clear then pour in distilled water get as much as that out as possible then mix 2/3 gallons of 50/50 distilled/coolant and pour in till everything seems good thank you for all the help

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thank you for all the help i have A LOT of 5 gallon buckets so plan on just draining coolant stick garden hose into the bottle fill up run car for 5 mins repeat till the water is clear then pour in distilled water get as much as that out as possible then mix 2/3 gallons of 50/50 distilled/coolant and pour in till everything seems good thank you for all the help
I went through a fairly extensive flush job on the daughter's wagon when I did the TB. I'd spotted little bits of black stuff floating in the coolant. I used non-sudsing dishwashing liquid as I thought the crud might have been some oily residue. I suspect that it may have been remnants from a failing/failed WP: OP replaced it- he was a total hack and likely did a half-arsed job flushing. I would flush, fill and drive; repeat several times with final flushes. All has been good since (much to my relief).

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Since our family has three VAG vehicles in the garage and driveway I now just buy
Pentosin G13 and mix it in the bottle 50:50. Easier to just grab one container!

Twitch

TDI
What are the average mile to tank these cars should get for a full tank when i filled up it only went to 7/8th but topped it off plan on doing the vent mod today after work. im just passed a half tank and at 290 miles for the tank does this seem low about the first 100 miles was with a bad t stat so never reached operating temp so sure that hurt mpg. If my sending unit is bad would like to know to fill up before i run out of fuel. Also does the driver seat have problems getting stuck its raised all the way up and wont go back down has anyone experienced this thank you for all the help in advance

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you're going to do the ventectomy then just do it and then see how things show. You'll find, however, without any adjustments (I didn't bother), that the fuel indicator won't move until you hit over 100 mile (or so): in essence the amount of extra fuel that you're getting in over a standard, non-vented fill. But, there are ways of adjusting the calibration: hold off for now.

I show about 400 miles when I hit the half-way mark. I think I've gotten 500 miles: three cars, all three have registered a true 800+ miles on a tank.

About the seat, are you saying that it won't go down when pumping the lever down? Might have to do with this: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=392305

Twitch

TDI
Thank you for posting the write up im on the toss up of either switching out the driver seat compared to the passenger seat the foam has splits in it on the side bolster so dont know if its worth putting the time into it compared to a seat that just sits lower and thank you i will most likely be filling up tomorrow or tonight and will hand calculate my mpg and see where the car is and hopefully all is well. Thank you for all the help

Twitch

TDI
Do these cars have a problem with the steering wheel coming lose finally got around to removing the air bag and torquing the steering wheel. the t55 bolt holding the steering wheel was not even seated against the wheel. I torqued it to 35 ft lbs and hopefully that doesnt come lose again. Did the vent mod and filled up the fuel gauge is reading full so hopefully that rules out needing a sending unit after this tank i will see what i get mpg.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds like someone might have been messing with that steering wheel before. From the factory they have thread-locker on them, so highly unlikely that one that's been untouched would come loose.

I'd take this a a sign to look everything over very closely, especially as you go to do any work. Assume that things weren't done right. This is one of those things that buying a "good deal" often get you. I've got ONE car that was impeccably maintained, that I KNOW there wasn't any crappy work done on it. Have another car that was pretty well maintained (thought they weren't very sharp with VW MKIVs): this is my DD (but now it's great). Wife's car has monkeys working on it: battled lots of crap work. Daughter's wagon had an utter idiot work on it: it's almost to the point where I'm not constantly looking over my shoulder.

BTW - Please look to nix using run-on sentences: break up sentences and or add more commas Very hard to read.

Twitch

TDI
Sorry about the run on sentences. Usually reply using my phone while i have down time at work lol So far the car has been good i do get a weird shimmy from like 55-60 but as soon as i pass 61-62mph it goes away. I might consider while i have the car down for the timing belt most likely next month i am considering ordering moogs front end kit with control arms all the tie rod ends ans ball joint for 300 bucks and peace of mind its worth it, better then rebuilding a 1 ton truck front end at 2k+. I live in new jersey and use the nj parkway and turnpike for work when i get stuck behind someone going slow 50-55 its scary to move over to the next lane while traffic is 85-90 in the morning are there any cost effictive ways were i can down shift to 4th and have enough power to speed quickly to 75-80. I read nozzles and a tune are pretty cheap and can give good results. What are other things low cost to consider. Thanks for all the help in advance

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Try swapping tires/wheels front-to-back and see if the shimmy is still there.

Can't comment on the Moog parts. I only get my suspension parts from VW (online- IstVWParts.com) or from one of this site's supporting vendors (most suspension parts I get come from them).

Nozzles and a tune can certainly help. However, in order to get some really good pop you'll need to install a stronger clutch. Figure costs to be somewhere in the $1,500 range. My cars will pull really hard to 80mph from 50mph or so, in 5th: one car has a 6spd, in which case I can continue to ramp up strong through about 100mph. Essential is that you get the car operating to full spec before making performance mods. This includes BRAKES and SUSPENSION: these are safety issues.

Twitch

TDI
The car is soon to be due for a timing belt so plan on doing a bunch of maintence when the car is down, to make sure its running 110%. i plan on doing timing belt front control arms all tie rods and ball joints then plan on doing stainless steel lines all fresh brake fluid and new pads and rotors all the way around. So i know the car is 100% solid and gone through

Twitch

TDI
Yesterday was trying to install new rear door speakers due to them not working thinking it was a blown bad speaker. I installed the new speaker and test hooked it up and still no sound was coming from. I took out the volt meter and it is showing 6 volts coming from the wires. I tried wigglying the wires on the back of the amp mounted on the top of the trunk and still nothing. I started to push on the knobs for balance and fad and started to get some volume from the speakers. Can the monsoon headunit be bad and giving a poor signal? Thanks for help in advance

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I started to push on the knobs for balance and fad and started to get some volume from the speakers. Can the monsoon headunit be bad and giving a poor signal? Thanks for help in advance
If messing with the knobs on the radio started your getting sound I would think the controls are dirty inside.
Not sure how easy it would be to get inside the radio to try contact cleaner.
You need 4 'keys' to get the unit out.
I recall there being a diagram of how to make the keys somewhere out there.
It's just small wedges.

Twitch

TDI
I had the car on the lift over the weekend. I chopped off the muffler and put 2.25” exhaust pipe to a 3.75 exhaust tip defiantly sounds better and on the highway not noticably loud. I inspected further under neath the car i found a torn inner cv boot on the passenger side the inner tie rods have seens better day along with the tie rod ends ball joints dont look to bad but think im going to replace them so everything is fresh. I have used moog in the past with good results. i know you guys love going to the stealer me ill stay far away from that place as possible so think. Thinking when i do the timing belt in 2500 miles cars getting some well need maintance. While im in the suspension should i change out the control arms are they usually fine? Thanks for all the help in advance

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i know you guys love going to the stealer me ill stay far away from that place as possible so think
:confused:

Sarcasm?

Listen, one CAN get good prices on parts from the dealer. I do it from time to time; but, I do so via an Internet-based dealer outlet (I have 1stvwparts.com not too far away). Depends on what parts.

I get my suspension parts mostly from ID Parts. It's worth it to help support the great vendors that support this site.

Regarding whether to buy new control arms, it depends. If your existing ones are all rusty then you'd likely need to clean them up and repaint them; pressing out the old bushings and then pressing in new ones. Not sure if all replacements come pre-populated with bushings, but the ones I get from ID Parts come that way.

Twitch

TDI
My control arms are not rusty but i doubt they have ever been replaced for the extra 80 bucks to have all new steering and suspension compents minus shocks and struts new think its worth just replacing the control arms while im in there replacing everything so everything is fresh plan on keeping this car since it will over time save me money compare to fuel of my truck plus maintance

Twitch

TDI
URGENT! Driving to work this morning my car would not accelerate in 5th gear at all and any slight incline it would drasticlly drop speed. when i got to work i did a first gear 4k-4.2k shift to try and maybe blow anything clogged up out i did not hear or feel the turbo. i already drove the car to work and it was slower then normal when cars are flying up on you doing 90+ it gets scary. would i be safe to drive the car to my shop (50ish miles) or am i safer to get my dad to pick me up with a trailer? what could possibly be wrong with the car no check engine lights and cluster looked normal while driving. HELP!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Interweb Guess you have limp mode. If it's just low on power, it is safe to drive.
NOTE-The title of this thread is Looking at alh need help! You may get better results if you pursue in a problem related thread or start a new one.

Last edited: