96 Tacoma ALH TDI swap

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
looks like you have two different kinds of mounts and two different pans... can you provide details on your approach to both? ....also can you post pictures of your diff to pan clearance and how much lift, if any, the truck has and what the diff drop is.... I don't see the diff installed in your pictures.... thanks!!

kajikidu

jimbote
The motor mounts are stock Tacoma, laid down horizontal. The front diff is not in the pics but is in the stock location. I grafted the lower part of the 3.4v6 oil pan onto the upper half of the steel 2.0/1.9 oil pan.
I don't have pics of the diff and oil pan in at the same time. The clearance is the same as the 3.4v6 had to the diff.
The truck is not lifted, and the diff is not lowered.

I just discovered this truck has a 1" inch body lift.

Last edited:

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Jim,

Was that truck parked IN the ocean for some time? Just kidding, you must live in the rust belt. I had thought it was a pain to fix the rust in the floor of my 83 Pickup but my frame was solid. Nice work repairing the frame.

Very nice engine mounts as well. Do the think the stock Taco mounts will absorb enough of the diesel vibrations? And last question, does your modified oil pan also give more volume as well as the clearance you need?

Jaysin

kajikidu

Jaysin, Thanks! the frame was terrible. I think it was in the ocean,sand everywhere. I'm hoping the mounts don't vibrate, I laid them down flat. I set the oil pan up at the same angles as it will be when it is installed in the truck, then filled it with liquid and it held 5.75 quarts, I also modified the pickup tube so it's in the lowest part of the pan.

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab
Very nice frame cleanup. How long did that take?

What are you planning on keeping? AC? Cruise control? Do you have a donor car or...?

kajikidu

Cummins,
the frame rust repair, paint and reassembly took all summer. I'm keeping the A/C stuff in place, in case I decide to hook it up later. Yes I'm keeping the cruise control. The donor car was a 1998 New Beetle. You can see it in a earlier post on the blog.