Can 2010 TDI get dealer repair if DPF deleted?

Surveyor98

TDI
2010 Manual 6 Speed
I have a 'friend' who owns a 2010 TDI 6 speed that has a Malone tune and dpf delete. Of course it's not street legal and he realizes that. He wants to take advantage of the VW settlement fix
option if possible. Does anyone have any idea what the dealers do if they come across something like that for fix?

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
By "repair" I take it to mean what has been normally called the "fix" option in this forum. I would be astonished if the car described would be accepted for the fix.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
More than likely he will be required to put it back stock, if he wants any work done. Some have been turned away just because of a P0401 code (dpf/valve). Missing completely probably won't fly.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'm sure the dealer would be happy to put it back to stock with new components at the owners expense.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am really interested in your friends motivation for getting the fix. Has he mentioned why? Money, warranty, anything else?

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Your friend should dump the 2010, and use that money to get a CPO 15 with the EA288 if he wants to stay in a diesel.

No sense in fixing a Gen 1. And no, they wont fix it with a delete. You err, your friend, needs to sell it back to VW and move on to a 15 or something else.

There's a big difference in the EA288. Much better engine. Do yourself a favor and get the upgrade at VW's expense. Plenty of CPO 15's are coming on the market now with low miles. I'm picking up a 15 golf this weekend, most likely.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Your friend should dump the 2010, and use that money to get a CPO 15 with the EA288 if he wants to stay in a diesel.

No sense in fixing a Gen 1. And no, they wont fix it with a delete. You err, your friend, needs to sell it back to VW and move on to a 15 or something else.

There's a big difference in the EA288. Much better engine. Do yourself a favor and get the upgrade at VW's expense. Plenty of CPO 15's are coming on the market now with low miles. I'm picking up a 15 golf this weekend, most likely.
Much better engine? And you know this how? That super long track record? :p

Not saying it does or doesn't run better or it is or is not full of improvements on paper. But I think it will take a little more than that to warrant a claim of it being a "much better engine". I mean, the BEW is by most standards not better than the ALH it replaced, yet we certainly did not know this when the 2004s were only a year old and had 25k miles on them, did we?

And in the case of Jetta sedans, one could also make the argument that a 2010, which is still a Golf with a trunk, is a better car than the NCS Jetta. And what possible problems could the 2015's SCR system present in the future? The few that had it prior didn't exactly have a stellar track record (nor have some other makes, for that matter).

Not trying to make a decision for the OP, just trying to present him... or, ahem, his "friend" with all the facts to make an informed level headed decision that five years from now he may not regret.

To answer the original question, though, the car will need to be stock and in working order with no MIL (so all of its equipment in place and working) before the fix will be instituted. Then you can of course install your delete again, and motor on. That part, of course, will once again void any emissions compliance warranty, but if you delete it all, you won't need it anyway.

Last edited:

Borsig

TDI
I drove a 2011 for 130k

Ive driven an ea288 for 70.

The ea288 gets better economy, and has more power, is quieter and smoother. It sucks to change oil on.

Beyond that, no. I don't have any empirical data, and you're literally the last person on the site I'm going to argue against with regards to that.

However the hpfp problem is all but gone with the ea288 as well.

As told old Jetta vs Mk6? Mk5 any day. As to golf? Mqb Mk7, Ende.

From an owners point who has driven both, I'd take an ea288 any day. A cpo with say, 20k miles on it, would have 162k ml warranty on that emissions system. That's 140k, and you get a new dpf, etc next year free.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
No argument, just presenting some more info or lack of info for both sides. I have no rooster in this fight. My ALHs, BHWs, and others will easily outlast them all, LOL. Well, technically I guess they already have, but even going forward they still have a leg up.

If recent events have taught us anything, it is that added complexity in the pursuit of some unobtainable emissions compliance level has resulted in some all too often fragile engine management systems. And even though they are superior in face value performance and refinement, that fact gets overlooked when some multi-thousand dollar repair bill brings the car to a sudden standstill without warning. It blemishes what could/would/should be an otherwise fine product.

I just wish VAG would have taken a more honest approach to the problem, so that the technology could be given the chance to improve and present better products that are both cleaner than the older cars but just as efficient if not more efficient, and just as durable. The 2015 engine may just be that pinnacle but it isn't like we (in this country) will get to enjoy the fruits of this endeavor beyond just a few thousand orphaned cars that technically still do not meet the emissions compliance 100% of the time. :(

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
However for now the hpfp problem is all but gone with the ea288 as well.
Fixed for yeah, as long as there is a CP4 HPFP it will always be a problem, they've just minimized it as much as possible.

Borsig

TDI
I for one want the orphan. That's why when my 70k wagon goes back in a week, a same (15) golf hatch will replace it. Technically the Subaru replaced the wagon. This golf will be mine.
162k worry free miles. I'm good with that. I'm sure by then if the emissions bs fails, there will be a way to delete it and keep on plugging.
It's a shame. I think the ea288 golf Mk7 is indeed the pinnacle of tdi in America. It will likely be that high watermark for refinement of car and engine both.

I think it's one of the best cars I've ever owned. And I'm going to drive my little golf until it implodes.