VW 2.5 Engine Reliability - How is it?

TDInownow

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now...
Hey...think this is the right forum...not sure. Figured there may be some 2.5 folks around here, or better yet some VW techs that might have a beat on this. Are there any systemaic issues with the 2.5 Engine on the A5 platform, or is it pretty solid?

My in-laws saw my JSW TDI and they're thinking about a JSW. They don't drive that much, and won't be completely anal about the car, so I'm inclined to recommend an SE for their needs and for $2500 less than a TDI. They're coming from a V70XC, so the (lack of) power and the coarse engine won't really be issues.

Just wanted to see what the overall reliability impressions were, if that's possible.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
So far so good. I would not have high expectations for the timing chain given VAG's track record, but 150 to 200K hopefully is possible.

Holds a bit more oil than the TDI, oil is essentially the same (different spec of course, but still not something you will find in Wal-mart).

I have heard of some ignition coil problems, but other than that nothing. They have an ubundance of power, 170 is PLENTY in a Jetta, and they get bolted to a conventional Aisin 6 speed autobox. Not sure yet about those.

The air filter is a bigger pain than it should be. Gotta take the whole top cover off, flip it over, and disassemble from there.

TDInownow

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now...
Thanks! This is exactly the type of reply I was looking for. I sincerely doubt they'll put enough miles on the car to get to a timing chain.

Interesting...what's the spec? 504.00? Mobil had listed their 0W-40 as a recommended oil for that engine on their website...I'll have to go back through and do some more digging if they end up with the car. At least the first few changes would be covered, and the dealers (I'd hope, at least) would be a little less prone to screwing up the oil change on a 2.5, especially if they actually take the 5 qts.

oilhammer

TDI
TDInownow said:
Thanks! This is exactly the type of reply I was looking for. I sincerely doubt they'll put enough miles on the car to get to a timing chain.

Interesting, Mobil had listed their 0W-40 as a recommended oil for that engine on their website...I'll have to go back through and do some more digging if they end up with the car. At least the first few changes would be free, and the dealers (I'd hope, at least) would be a little less prone to screwing up the oil change on a 2.5.
The spec is 502.00, and Mobil 0w40 meets that spec, but VW still lists 5w40 as the preferred weight. I am sure 0w40 would not hurt it though. We run Pentosin 5w40 in them, no problems so far.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
I was going to say we sold out 2.5 because our friend who works at the dealer we bought it from told us they'd had a rabbit and jetta 2.5 come in with jumped timing, trashed engines! I'm sure that's rare, but the chain tensioner will probably be the biggest concern on it. It was a decent motor but poor fuel economy if you ask me, our jeep outdoes it every road trip.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Trading a five cylinder 2.5 turbo with an aisin box for another 2.5 five cylinder with an aisin box!

I've never tried the VW 5cylinder (assume its the old Audi unit) but I've never liked the Volvo 5 cylinder. Always sounded and felt rough.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The 5 cylinder is a new engine, not related to the old 5 cylinder audi motor (which was a 1.8l VW motor + 1 cylinder ;) )

-Jason

oilhammer

TDI
compu_85 said:
The 5 cylinder is a new engine, not related to the old 5 cylinder audi motor (which was a 1.8l VW motor + 1 cylinder ;) )

-Jason
Actually, it was originally a 2.4L 6 cyl - one cyl. :)

But yes, the new one is an all-new design.

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (hers)
The 2.5 isn't especially economical (like our TDIs) nor is it especially powerful (like the 2.0T). I believe the 2.0T even gets slightly better EPA highway economy (like 1 mpg) than the 2.5.

If I couldn't get a TDI, I'd definitely get the 2.0T. My wife's CC has one, and it's impressive (er, for a gasser, that is).

I drove a 2.5 Wabbit dealer loaner and while a nice car, I thought the engine was dull. I stomped on the gas, with good effect, but got yelled at by my wife - but honey, this is a scientific experiement!

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Our 05.5 never got better than 27mpg highway at any point in 34,000 miles.

Our Liberty got 30mpg (29.87) the first trip to the beach.

Both do 22 city.

I work with several 2.0Ts, they get 26-32 pretty constantly, 32 is greater than 27.

But the 2.0T takes premium.

TDInownow

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now...
In this particular case, regarding the JSW, it's a pretty hefty premium to go 2.0T. I want to say that optioned like mine is (plus AT) the MSRP breakdown was like $25200 / $27700 / $28900 for SE / TDI / SEL. Now, I understand that also includes real leather on the SEL, but that's not really something my inlaws are concerned with, as long as it's not cloth (S).

Looks like locating might be a concern...I would have imagined they're easier to come by than the TDIs, but there aren't a ton of JSW SEs kicking around, at least around here.

oilhammer

TDI
Now the 2.0t, DOES have some issues. The older one, anyways. The newer one is still too new for me to have any data. :eek:

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Yeah seems the 2.0Ts ear cam followers (hey, a gas engine and the TDI have something in common!)

I didn't know the S trim was cloth! Is that across the board or only the wagon?

Remember that 81% of all wagons sold in June were TDIs.....

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Mine has 30k on it. I feed it 0-40 oil and regular gas. It seems to pretty solid. Never get more than 22 in town or 30 on highway. Nothing broke yet except glove box latch. I bought a coil pack and threw it in my kit with bulbs and fuses...only $21 and it pays to be prepared. :D

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
oilhammer said:
LOL. I hardly think we can blame the engine for the glove box latch. :p
Uh, ya, but if you're considering buying the motor, it usually comes attached to a car and it's kinda nice to know how those extra bits hold up. :D

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
What I can say about the 2.0T (I have the earlier FSI version not the later TSI version) is that so far in 56,000 miles it has been reliable. But it has higher than expected oil consumption. I need to add at least a liter of oil between 5000 mile oil changes, sometimes more. It also likes to throw check engine lights; fortunately with VAG-COM I'm spared the grief of a trip to the dealer for a diagnosis.

It gets excellent fuel economy. My last tank in my routine driving was an impressive 34.6 mpg. That was for the entire tank of routine, mostly rural driving, not just a single trip average. On a highway trip I've seen as high as 37 at 60 mph.

I have read some issues about carbon buildup on the valves (some scary pics over on VW Vortex), apparently due to the direct injection, the valves don't get cleaned by the air-fuel mixture.

I don't know if there will be any other issues. My lease is up in Feb. 2011 and I'm torn between buying it out or getting a Golf TDI station wagon. I guess I'll wait to see how the new CR TDIs hold up before making that decision.

I've driven the 2.5 (Jetta and Rabbit garage loaner), and while it does have decent get-up-and-go, it is nowhere as smooth as the 2.0T and fuel economy is, as noted, unspectacular. In the type of driving that I would average 7.0 L/100 km with the much larger Passat wagon, a Rabbit loaner consumed 8.0.

srvblues00

Veteran Member
TDI
90 ALH 4Rrunner & 99 2500 Cummins TD
I was a dealer tech in Memphis until the end of this past April. I have done 3 timing chain jobs on the 2.5 engine. One of those the chain slipped and bent every valve in the head. The other two the chain was just noisy. All of those were warranty jobs. Main issues I had for check engine lights were by far fuel trim concerns. Some were easy to fix, others were a nightmare to diagnose. They are very, very sensitive to proper spark plugs and strong coils. One of the Jetta had a fuel trim problem. The fix ended up replacing all 5 coils with the latest "E" suffix coils. I couldn't beleive it, but the fuel trim values in the scan tool value blocks were immediately normal after the coil swap. Also saw some cold start misfires and a few EGR codes. Keep in mind that I only saw the broken ones, so of course not all of them have issues.

TDInownow

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now...
Thanks for all of the insight. My in-laws are quite indecisive, so they haven't ended up with a car yet, but this info is a nice piece in the overall puzzle.

Thanks again!

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
TDInownow said:
Thanks for all of the insight. My in-laws are quite indecisive, so they haven't ended up with a car yet, but this info is a nice piece in the overall puzzle.

Thanks again!
I really like mine. It's a nice solid car for only 16k when I bought it. If you don't drive much, it's not worth the higher price for the oiler.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
RabbitGTI said:
I really like mine. It's a nice solid car for only 16k when I bought it. If you don't drive much, it's not worth the higher price for the oiler.
As my teens get older and leave the nest my driving slowly has been decreasing. I'm inclined to agree that a 2.5 is worth considering, if you keep the car a long time (resale won't be as good as a TDI). I've driven them; they're not especially efficient, significantly less so than my 2.0T however it does burn RUG.

Last one I drove was a Rabbit garage loaner, with automatic. It was plenty quick, lots of fun to blast around in but not especially fuel efficient. Certainly worth looking at. I'm thinking Golf wagon as my next car when the Passat lease expires. Mine will definitely be manual though!